[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Michael Moorcock & Elric

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Michael Moorcock & Elric
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:12 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:55 am 
erm... Scryer Pilot Warrior Pilot

My reading list just keeps getting longer and longer and longer...after War in Heaven I want to re-Elric myself, but i also dipped my toe back into the Jack Aubrey novels as well...

Fall over and wail idiots!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:45 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:35 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
Ever since I made the acquaintance of Av, Lucimay, and Fist/Highdrake, my "to be read" pile teeters higher and higher...

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:13 am 
Pilot

Man, I haven't read Moorcock in a while. I'm pretty sure I lost most of my Elric books, all of my Corums and Hawkmoons. I read them in high school many years ago and really loved them all.

I'm going to keep my eyes open for complete collections of each series. I really want to reread them, but I don't want to buy a dozen tiny books!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:14 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:22 am 
Pilot

Oh, that's not so bad. Actually, three Elric books in one volume seem pretty manageable.

Thanks for the info Duchess!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:07 pm 
Lady Scryer

I'm nearly to Stormbringer now, and when I did my first Elric read - about 25 years ago - that was as far as the series went. :shock: So when I hit the third omnibus (which turns out to only have two books in it - the other three omnibi have three books) I will be in undiscovered territory. :D

I'm really enjoying the reread. Each book is made up of smaller stories - they were originally written for pulp magazines - so there are some inconsistencies and the like - which can be explained away by the fact that it is set in a multiverse - but overall, they flow and hang together pretty well. 8)

And Moorcock is a master of creating atmosphere. 8)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:27 am 

Now that I've finished WIH (what a stormer of a book!), I'm about to say hello to an old friend again. Got the omnibus Gollancz "Elric of Melnibone", which takes us up to "Stormbringer", and once I recover from my hangover (I'm going to watch the Euro soccer final tonight) that's my next read.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:41 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:02 am 

Just about to open "Elric" and settle down on the couch and I thought I'd get one of my many many bookmarks ready for the odd cup of tea making, and I can't find so much as one. I've got dozens and dozens of the things so why am I using an old receipt as a bookmark in my lovely new Moorcock?
I'll tell you what I think,it's those bl**dy cats!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:14 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:13 pm 
Lady Scryer

Just finished up Stormbringer - when I get home from work I will start the new novels I have not read previously. Looks like at least one of the books in the fourth and last omnibus will have Nazis in it. :shock: :shock: :shock: The two novels making up the third omnibus, the one I will start next, look like they are set in the Young Kingdoms, in the period when Elric took a year off of being Emperor so he could wander around and learn about the world... :)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:26 am 

Elric and Nazis? whoah!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:04 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next