[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Michael Moorcock & Elric

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Thanks right back at ya!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:02 am 
Pilot

I've been a Moorcock fan for a very looong time...but here's a strange thing.

A month or so back I started reading Silverheart by Moorcock & Storm Constantine, and I just couldn't get into it. I haven't given up on it totally yet, (it's still book-marked at page 172,) but it's the first Moorcock I haven't been able to finish.

The odd thing is that I've read Constantine's Wraeththu trilogy and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Adios
Rockin' & in The Land of Oz
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Thanks right back at ya!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:18 pm 
Pilot

Michael Moorcock's recent stuff isn't nearly half as his older books, which is a shame because at his peak he was very good indeed.

I think I prefer his pseudo-historical novels, and liked Jerry Cornelius and Oswald Bastable. Of course, since, they and Elric and Corum and all the rest are all elements of the Champion Eternal, then to appreciate one you have to read them all (or so says his publishing agent).

Seriously, the more I think about the philosophy behind Law, Chaos, and the Balance the more I think it can actually be applied to the real world. The only difficulty is determining what elements are Lawful and which Chaotic - and its not as easy as it might seem at first glance <i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:01 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: Bibliography
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:24 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:00 am 
Master Pilot

Wikipedia has:

Original series

* Elric of Melniboné (novel, Hutchinson 1972, cut vt The Dreaming City 1972 US; DAW 1977)
* The Sailor on the Seas of Fate (collection, Quartet 1976; DAW 1977)
* The Weird of the White Wolf (collection, DAW 1977)
* The Sleeping Sorceress (novel, NEL 1971; Ace 1971 as The Vanishing Tower; DAW 1977)
* The Bane of the Black Sword (collection, DAW 1977)
* Stormbringer (novel, fix-up, cut, Herbet Jenkins 1965; restored, DAW 1977)

Later novels

* Fortress of the Pearl (novel, Gollancz 1989)
* Revenge of the Rose (novel, Grafton 1991 as The Revenge of the Rose: A Tale of the Albino Prince in the Years of his Wandering)

Later trilogy

* The Dreamthief's Daughter (2001)
* The Skrayling Tree (2003)
* The White Wolf's Son (2005)

Which is the same as your list, Duchess, but without those last three (which don't sound like novels, from the titles--are those the graphic novel adaptations?).

FYI, there's a brand new Elric novella in the anniversary issue of Weird Tales out soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:28 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:45 pm 
Master Pilot

There's a new mass-market Elric omnibus out in the UK as part of a whole load of fantasy reissues by Gollancz (which include Lankhmar, Amber, Conan and Lyonesse).
The Elric volume has, I think, all the novels up to Stormbringer.

Post subject: Re: Michael Moorcock & Elric
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:34 pm 
Lady Scryer

I have started reading the graphic novel Elric: Making of a Sorceror as a prelude to a reread of the novels/first read of the novels after Stormbringer. So far I am enjoying it very much. 8)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:47 am 
erm... Scryer Pilot Warrior Pilot

Like many here I first got into Moorcock (too many) decades ago, and devoured everything in sight, especially the Elric and Hawkmoon series. Then I lost touch, but then started getting into his 'historical' stuff (Byzantium endures etc). Now I'm just about ready to get back into it all. I think Moorcock's reputation suffered because he was so prolific - no one who wrote so many novels so quickly could be any good surely? - but now he's being taken seriously, and with justification. I hope this 'overnight' success doesn't go to his head though!

Fall over and wail idiots!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:38 am 
Lady Scryer

I have also managed to reread the first of the novels, but have not had time yet to start rereading the second. :)

Moorcock really shines in his atmosphere, does he not? So far there is this huge feeling of impending doom hanging over the city of Melnibone...a dying city in a dying empire, presided over by princes who are the play things of the gods...

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:12 am 

Managed to get Count Brass, The Champion of Garathorm, all four volumes of the History of the Runestaff (go Hawkmoon!!!), Revenge of the Rose, and Behold the Man, Moorcock's take on the Crucifixion, 28 bucks the lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:42 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:44 pm 
Lady Scryer

I am perhaps now a third of the way into Sailor on the Seas of Fate, the second Elric novel. Have encountered the concept of the eternal champion, and met three other incarnations of him. 8) I have never encountered other Moorcock books other than Elric - does he do crossovers between series like that often? :)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:56 pm 
Lady Scryer

Have now made it to The Vanishing Tower. :)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:11 am 

Can't possibly get into the Moorcock books until I finish War in Heaven!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next