Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: So, I'm reading Assasin's Apprentice...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:09 pm 
Master Pilot

And I'm about 40 pages into it. It's so-so so far (LOL). Has anyone else here read it? Does it get more exciting? More action? And does the 'bastid' get a name?! Further up, and further in!

"Come to Elfhand," the troll said.
The child thought for a while....
"N-no" said the child
"Why not?" said the troll.
"Mother made a jam roll this morning," said the child.
-the King of Elfhand's Daughter<i></i>

Post subject: Re: So, I'm reading Assasin's Apprentice...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:04 pm 
Master Pilot

so who wrote it? What the synopsis? And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:39 pm 
Lady Scryer

I believe that its the first book in all of the series by Robin Hobb. I think she now has 8? 9? books out all interrelated on the same world, and some shared characters...
I do not know what the book is about...
I think Hobb is one of those hate or love passionately authors, from what I have seen over at ASOIAF...I have been wanting to give her a try but haven't had the time yet...
So I am very interested in your opinion, Mhhoram! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:14 pm 
Master Pilot

Yes, it's Robin Hobb's book, the first in the Farseer Trilogy, though like Duchess said there are assorted other books about the world that Farseer is set in.

Basically, it's about a royal bastard who can talk with animals (mentally) and is adopted into the royal household (his father was first in line to be king, but he abdicated, leaving the son behind).

Well, the book is getting better. The synopsis on the back, which I have just given you, says he's adopted into the royal household, which has not happened yet. Further up, and further in!

"N-no" said the child

Post subject: KICK ASS
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:42 pm 
Master Pilot

I loved it! Great book. Fitz (FitzChivalry is his full name) is a compelling character. Can't wait to read the rest. Duchess described Hobb as a love or hate author...I guess I'm on the love side so far. Further up, and further in!

"N-no" said the child

Post subject: Re: KICK ASS
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:20 am 
Lady Scryer

Well, I haven't tried her stuff yet, myself -- but she certainly seems to engender a lot of passion in one direction or the other from her readers! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:28 pm 
Master Pilot

I think you'd like Duchess. Further up, and further in!

"N-no" said the child

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:49 pm 
Pilot

I think I'm the type of people who is in the between with Hobb. I don't hate her, it could be even said I like her, but I think she writes too slowly a lot of the time. Not always however. I was bored in the early parts of Royal Assassin, but towards the end I got hooked and it was great. I thought Assassin's Quest was inferior, although it had many good points. I was bored through the whole of Assassin's Apprentice, although I read it in Finnish and things have a habit of getting worse in translation. I think Hobb's best points are characterization and avoidance of cliché. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:11 am 
Pilot

These books are some of the most wonderful fantasy series ever written! The more you read, the more involved you get with the characters!! Vote in the Fantasy Author Showdown<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:14 am 
Pilot

I'm just starting to get into the books. <i></i>

Post subject: finished AA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:55 am 
Master Pilot

I finished Assasin's Apprentice, and I'm right now reading Royal Assasin! The charaters are intriguing, and inspire emotions. Whether they be love, for Verity or FitzChivalry, or hate for Regal! Further up, and further in!

I'm from Boston. I dont pronounce my R's. I call a garbage can a barrel, a liquor store a packie, a water fountain a bubbla, a milkshake a frappe. I root for a team who has not won a World Series since 1918. To me Cape Cod is a little piece of Heaven down here on Earth. The best place to be on a summer night is Fenway. I ride on the T. I know better than to swim in the Charles River. I yell YANKEES SUCK! when the Red Sox are playing the Tigers. I am a Bostonian and I'm wicked proud of it.<i></i>

Post subject: Re: finished AA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:04 am 
Lady Scryer

It sounds like you are really enjoying this series, Mhoram.
You recommend it, then? ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:53 pm 
Master Pilot

Most definitely! I just finished the final book, Assassin's Quest, a few minutes ago. I can't wait to read the follow-up trilogy (book 3 of the new trilogy is due out in Feb. 2004 according to amazon.com)- The Tawny Man.

Verity Farseer, FitzChivalry Farseer, and Chade Fallstar are my personal favorite characters.

All in all, this was a great series. Further up, and further in!

I'm from Boston. I dont pronounce my R's. I call a garbage can a barrel, a liquor store a packie, a water fountain a bubbla, a milkshake a frappe. I root for a team who has not won a World Series since 1918. To me Cape Cod is a little piece of Heaven down here on Earth. The best place to be on a summer night is Fenway. I ride on the T. I know better than to swim in the Charles River. I yell YANKEES SUCK! when the Red Sox are playing the Tigers. I am a Bostonian and I'm wicked proud of it.<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:06 pm 
Lady Scryer

Doesn't she also have another trilogy set on that same world? One with living ships? ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:18 pm 
Master Pilot

Yeah, I think it's called Liveship Traders. But it's with different characters. Further up, and further in!