Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Robin Hobb I worship thee
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 3:36 pm 
Pilot

this woman is up there with Stephen Donaldson imho, you have not lived until you have read her books, which are
Assassins Apprentice
Royal Assassin
Assassin's Quest
Set in the 6 Duchies, told in first person perspective by fitz farseer, a royal bastard trained in the assassins arts. Not for those who enjoy fantasy featuring sunshine, flowers and one dimensional characters who all end up living happily ever after. Also
Ship of Magic
The Mad Ship
Ship of Destiny
Set in the same world to the south, lots of different character perspectives, swashbucking pirates, seaserpents, Bingtown politics and more!!
Lastly
Fools Errand
Back to Fitzy-fitz 15 years after the end of AQ, with the next instalment (Golden Fool) to be published in about 6 months. I'm practically knawing my leg off in impatience. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Robin Hobb I worship thee
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 3:41 pm 
Master Pilot

Great topic mel, thanks--I have seen people discussing her on about 3 dif websites--and have bcome very curious about her stuff! She's now on my huge, and impressive reading list! Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 11:46 am 
Pilot

Yes, Hobb is excellent. Mel, I see you post at the Hobb board as well

The Farseer books, above anything, have an enormous emotional impact. Plus the telepathy's very intriguing. Plus the books chronicle the life of a cool but battered lead character from start to finish, if you include the new Tawny Man sequel trilogy.

I think Erchamion would enjoy it as well. <i>"White the mist that rose through me, Whiter than land of your dwelling.It is your name that will bind thee,Your name is mine for the telling" </i><i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 8:51 am 
Pilot

After reading these posts I thought I'd give Robin Hogg a go, I must say I'm finding her narrative a little hard going, not the worst books I've read but far from the best. I think the problem for me is that I just haven't liked the main character, in fact I find him a bit annoying. The story stretches out far too long and becomes, frankly, quite boring. Seroiusly, did you not find yourself wishing, halfway through the 2nd book, that Fitz would just stop messing about and get on with killing Regal and marrying Molly? I know the promise he had made to Shrewd would deter him from poisoning his son, but it's obvious who the bad guy is. I haven't quite finished the 2nd book and at the moment I don't know if I ever will. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:41 pm 
Pilot

i found them well worth the effort but i suppose it does make it a bit hard if you hate the main character! i didn't hate him, a little frustrating at times yes but still a realistic sort of character. truthfully do you ever get on with the things you know you should or want to ? anyway what he decides and does affects later events his loyalty to runs deep (in more ways than one) and is integral part of his character.
it's not the best book i've ever read ( and everyone has different ideas about about that ) but i still consider her writing to be good. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:10 pm 
Lady Scryer

I've got to read these sometime! I keep hearing about how good Hobb is... Winter is Coming
Blood and Fire
Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:59 am 
Lady Scryer

After reading her short story in Legends II I've got to give this writer a try. I was quite impressed with her writing, especially with the well written main character in that story. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>