Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Legends Collections (minor spoilers)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:01 am 
Lady Scryer

I read and greatly enjoyed some of the novellas in Legends. I am very much looking forward to reading the stories collected in Legends II very soon.

Legends:
Stephen King:The Dark Tower : The Little Sisters of Eluria

Terry Pratchett: Discworld : The Sea and Little Fishes

Terry Goodkind: Sword of Truth: Debt of Bones

Orson Scott Card : Tales of Alvin Maker: Grinning Man

Robert Silverberg: Majipoor: The Seventh Shrine

Ursula K. Le Guin : Esrthsea : Dragonfly

Tad Williams: Memory, Sorrow and Thorn: The Burning Man

George RR Martin: A Song of Ice and Fire: The Hedge Knight

Anne McCaffrey: Pern: Runner of Pern

Raymond Feist: Riftwar Saga: The Wood Boy

Robert Jordan: Wheel of Time: New Spring

the Legends II collection:
Robin Hobb: Realm of the Elderlings: Homecoming

George RR Martin: A Song of Ice and Fire: The Sworn Sword

Orson Scott card: Tales of Alvin Maker: The Yazoo Queen

Diana Gabaldon: Outlander: Lord John and the Succubus

Robert Silverberg: Majipoor: The Book of Changes

Tad Williams: Otherland: The Happiest Dead Boy i nthe World

Anne McCaffrey: Pern: Beyond Between

Raymond Feist: The Riftwar: The Messenger

Elizabeth Haydon: Symphony of Ages: Threshhold

Neil Gaimon: American Gods: The Monarch of the Glen

Terry Brooks: Shannara: Indomitable

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 2/5/04 11:59 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: The Legends Collections
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:31 am 
Pilot

Yes I own and have read both - and greatly enjoyed. At my board there is a story by story discussion available if you're interested Vote in the Fantasy Author Showdown<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:56 pm 
Master Pilot

I've read the Hedge Knight, Debt of Bones and The Burning Man-prob liked Debt of Bones best. *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:54 pm 
Lady Scryer

Well, of Legends 2, I have so far had time to read the first two stories and part of the third.

Robin Hobb - my first exposure to her. When I first started the story, my heart sank. Oh no, do I really have to read the story of a spoiled noblewoman in diary form? But Hobb turned all of the cliches on their heads, and surprised me. I really enjoyed the story a lot, and now cannot wait to start reading her Assassin books.

George RR Martin -- the story itself wasn't as compelling for me as THK, but it gave a lot of good background material on Westeros, such as the Blackfyre Rebellion, and glimpses of what the realm was like before the Field of Fire... sort of confirms what I have long suspected -- the Targs were both a blessing and a curse to Westeros, and most of the people in that family seem run to one extreme or the other -- brilliant or mad...

Orson Scott Card -- its been a long time since I read his Alvin books, and this story is a nice reintroduction to them. I know he has a new Alvin book out lately, perhaps I should reread this series...Alvin and some of the other characters are very likeable, though the slavery aspects of some of the books really bothered me the first time I read them...and this story, so far, also seems to deal with slavery. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:39 pm 
Lady Scryer

Diane Gabaldon -- I had always thought she was a romance novelist, as opposed to a fantasy writer. But the introduction said her series involved time travel, so I guess she could be classified as both...This story was about Lord John Grey, a British Major who is assigned as a liason between the British and Germans officer in Germany way back in the 1750s. He is clearly an honorable and likeable man, as well as being gay in a time period when that can have him killed...some possible supernatural goings on in the story are why I would suppose it can be classified as fantasy...but it seems out of place somehow...was a good story, just didn't seem to fit in with the others... ******************************************************

<i></i>

Post subject: Legends Collections
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:40 am 
Lady Scryer

Silverberg -- This story is set on the world of Majipoor, best known as the setting of the Lord Valentine books, which, while not "deep" like Donaldson, are books I have always enjoyed. This story is set thousands of years before Valentine's time, and involves a poet who is in the process of discovering himself and his art . This is the second novella in the collection that has art and creativity as a major theme, the other being the Robin Hobb story. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Legends Collections
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:54 pm 
Lady Scryer

Williams -- I almost wish I hadn't read this story, because I was already engrossed in it when I realized that it was crawling with spoilers for the Otherland series, which I haven't read yet, though it is on my list. From it, I got the feeling that Otherland must be very complex and detailed...interesting story involving high tech and AI...and, as in its title, a dead boy...

McCaffrey -- the first dud story in the collection
yet another retread of the Moreta story, which is already the focus of two full length books .....ghosts on Pern... ******************************************************

<i></i>

Post subject: Legends Collection
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:19 pm 
Lady Scryer

Feist -- goes back to the period of his greatest creativity and best work -- the Riftwar...this story tells the tale of a young military messenger, carrying out his duties in the mountains as winter comes on, and as the enemy begins an offensive... <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Legends Collection
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:59 pm 
Lady Scryer

Haydon -- I had never read anything by her before. She certainly appears to be a gifted writer, and her world seems to be complex, different, and interesting. But I found the story to be depressing....

spoilers

good people dying for no good reason...

<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Legends Collection
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:59 am 
Lady Scryer

Gaiman -- we return to the hero of the award winning novel, American Gods. Shadow has been traveling the world now for two years, and when we catch up with him, he is in the far north of Scotland...where he runs into beings from myth and legend...and we get to learn his Norse name

Brooks -- I have never been much of fan of the Shannarra books, they are just not to my taste...this story is the direct sequel to one of those books, The Wishsong of Shannara, focusing on the younger brother...turns out that the evil in that particular book was not completely destroyed as was believed, so has to be dealt with in this story... ******************************************************

<i></i>