Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Alternative Histories of S. M. Stirling
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:25 am 
Lady Scryer

I keep seeing and being intrigued by some of this author's novels...especially one called The Peshawar Lancers which is set in an alternate British Empire, headquartered in India after comets destroy most of western Europe...his latest is called Conquistador and is set in an alternate California...
Has anyone here tried any of his stuff? It looks very promising...
His website is at www.smstirling.com. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

Post subject: Re: The Alternative Histories of S. M. Stirling
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:58 pm 
Lady Scryer

I have decided to give Peshawar Lancers a try...will let all of you know how it is... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:54 am 
Master Pilot

Sounds very interesting! Further up, and further in!

I'm from Boston. I dont pronounce my R's. I call a garbage can a barrel, a liquor store a packie, a water fountain a bubbla, a milkshake a frappe. I root for a team who has not won a World Series since 1918. To me Cape Cod is a little piece of Heaven down here on Earth. The best place to be on a summer night is Fenway. I ride on the T. I know better than to swim in the Charles River. I yell YANKEES SUCK! when the Red Sox are playing the Tigers. I am a Bostonian and I'm wicked proud of it.<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:28 am 
Lady Scryer

Actually, Mhoram, I think he also has a couple of books involving alternative history and New England. I will have to research that for you. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:58 pm 
Lady Scryer

Well, if there is one good thing about having the flu is that there is plenty of time to read in between running to the bathroom.

The Peshawar Lancers features an Earth which has been bombarded by comets or cometary fragments during the reign of a young Queen Victoria. Most of Western Europe and Eastern North America was destroyed by either the impacts, the resulting tidal waves, or the resulting climate changes. England itself was partially protected from the waves by Ireland, and under the leadership of Disraeli, as many people and "high tech" equipment as possible was moved to India, where Victoria came to rule over her Empire from Delhi.

Over time most of the surviving parts of the world come to be ruled by a few major powers -- Britain/India, France/Northern Africa, Arabic, Japan/China, and most ominously...Russia, who had survivied by cannibalism, and who had turned cannibalism into the state religion...

The novel is set in India, now the home of the most powerful and technologically advanced Great Power. The British and Hindus have melded together, with the British naturally taking their places in the warrior castes...

And the story tells of a young and brilliant woman scientist, and of her brother, a brave and noble young officer of the Peshawar Lancers...and how the fate of the world will come to rest upon their shoulders...

Lots of good battle scenes, bad guys you can really hiss at, noble true heros you can cheer for...an interesting mixture of cultures...so far its a pretty solid read.

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:32 pm 
Master Pilot

That sounds awesome. You said China/Japan...have the two combined? Further up, and further in!

I'm from Boston. I dont pronounce my R's. I call a garbage can a barrel, a liquor store a packie, a water fountain a bubbla, a milkshake a frappe. I root for a team who has not won a World Series since 1918. To me Cape Cod is a little piece of Heaven down here on Earth. The best place to be on a summer night is Fenway. I ride on the T. I know better than to swim in the Charles River. I yell YANKEES SUCK! when the Red Sox are playing the Tigers. I am a Bostonian and I'm wicked proud of it.<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:24 pm 
Master Pilot

I've never read his stuff, but I've met him. He was last year's Master of Ceremonies at Bubonicon and was there this year. I've heard good stuff about his work and have a feeling that he either lives in New Mexico, or very close by. *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:31 am 
Lady Scryer

I am not sure where he lives, Danlo, but living somewhere near New Mexico would make sense if he comes to Bubonicon often.
Mhoram, as far as I can tell Japan conquored China and the Emporer of Japan rules both, from the Imperial Palace in Japan alternating with the Forbidden City in China. In our history, this would have been a period when Japan began a rise resulting in becoming a world power, as it would not have been TOO long before the war between Japan and Russia on our Earth...
There are also minor states, such as some surviving city staes on the western edge of North America, and some buffer areas between the great powers...and cannibal tribes that survived in North America and Europe...in fact, in the story, the Raj has begun colonizing Britain and eastern North America, and Japan has begun colonizing Alaska... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:38 pm 
Master Pilot

That sounds really good. Further up, and further in!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:12 am 
Lady Scryer

I think you would really enjoy that book a lot, Mhoram. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>