Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: I apologize 4 the post below Ms. Norton!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 4:26 am 
Master Pilot

I used 2 get Piers Anthony and Andre Norton mixed up 4 some reason. They both have published a heck a alot of books! When I put my entry in the Worst Book ever topic I was worried that I confused the author of Orn (very, very bad book!) so I went 2 Andre Norton's website and low and bhold I was correct: Piers Anthony is the author. What amazed me, though, was the sheer # of books Norton has had published--it is absolutely staggering!!! So I said 2 myself-I am always browsing the Sci-Fi and Fantasy sections of used book stores and always c tons of his books-surely I must have read something (even by mistake) by Andre Norton. When I checked that prodigious bibliograpy, of close 2 40 books-most of them Fantasy, I realized: no I've never read anything by him. So has my intuition always saved me or am I missing out? Is Norton just some book puking pulp master a little better or perhaps worse than most Dragon Lance authors? Surely, w/the plethora of AN books out there some1 has actually read this guy!??? (c my apology below!!!) How far do you fall Pilot?<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/19/02 9:53:52 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: Has any1 ever read Andre Norton? Is he any good? crap?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:29 am 
Pilot

Never read anything by that author, but I do know it's a she <i></i>

Post subject: We owe a great deal 2 Alice Mary!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:00 pm 
Master Pilot

REALLY? OMG!!! Learn sumthin' new everyday!! Thanks Cal! I might do a little checking on HER then--I don't know y? but I will... (later that day..) ! Wow thanks 4 the inspiration 2 look up "Ms" Norton Calibandar, apparently the Sci-Fi, but primarily the Fantasy World owes a great deal 2 this lady! She's pretty amazing!
**<b> About Andre Norton:</b> Andre Alice Norton, nee: Alice Mary Norton is just about 2 turn 90 years old! And she is, probably, the most GROUNDBREAKING woman in Sci-Fi and Fantasy history!! Ms. Norton had her 1st book published in 1934 using the psuedonym of "Andre" 2 compete in the male dominated Sci-Fi world. The later 2/3rds of her life was primarily devoted 2 Fantasy writing. Both Ursula K. Le Guin and Anne McCaffrey say Ms. Norton was a major inspiration 2 their writing careers. Her Witch World series is very popular among young adults and 3 of her most recognized, and award winning books r; The Crystal Gryphon, The Elevenbane w/Mercedes Lackey (noted Fantasy writer) & The Jekyll Legacy that she co-authored w/Robert Bloch (noted Sci-Fi writer). Andre also wrote a book titled The Beastmaster in '59, but I will have 2 do some futher research 2 confirm if the movie was based on this book...Ms. Norton has lived in Murfreesboro Tennessee most of her life, has published over 40 books--some Romance and Fiction among them and legally changed her name 2 Andre Alice Norton in '62. Again I sincerely apologize MS. Norton!!**bows humbly** How far do you fall Pilot?<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/19/02 9:56:58 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: We owe a great deal 2 Alice Mary!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:34 am 
Master Pilot

Bump! 4 Zahir! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Post subject: Witch World
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:29 am 
Pilot

Okay, I want to praise the Witch World novels by Andre Norton here. Personally, the novels about High Halleck are my favorite, most especially the "Gryphon" trilogy.

Frankly this was the first fantasy series I read that felt nothing at all like Tolkien. Not that I don't love LOTR, but the intimacy of the Witch World novels really captured my heart. Plus the way so many questions just never get answered, just like in our reality! For example (and this is one I just like), in English history we'll never really know exactly what happened to the Princes in the Tower. And in much the same way we'll never learn about so many secrets vis-a-vis the Old Ones and the mysterious ruins they left all over the place. More, the way people remained people--fishermen and midwives along with warriors and mages. Some issues never do get resolved (like between Elyn and Elys), while cool little details abound--including how so many of the women are *not* drop-dead georgeous!

Myself, I think "Witch World" would make a fantastic series on the SciFi Channel. If LOTR makes as much money as it looks like, maybe that little dream of mine will even come true <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Witch World
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:12 pm 
Master Pilot

Very cool! It sounds like u would really dig Lovecraft Zahir! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>