Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: the Wheel of Time
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:08 am 
Master Pilot

I bought an 800 page book called the Eye of the World, by Robert Jordan. Its the 1st in a series called the Wheel of Time. Is it good? Has anyone here read it? Life is a game, play it well, play it wisely. <i>Edited by: mhoram6910 at: 11/11/02 4:01:16 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Wheel of Time...is it any good?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:03 am 
Pilot

I don't think it's any good. Inexplicably there are a large number of people who think it is a masterpiece. Many of these peole think the later volumes start to suck, but not all. There are currently 9 volumes out and no end in sight. Jordan has a tendency to continuously raise his estimate for how many books the series is going to take. The main plot moves very slowly indeed. Also, Jordan's female characters are nigh-universally reviled, but I don't think the males are really all that much better. <i></i>

Post subject: If you like Crap, Jordan's your man
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:57 pm 
Master Pilot

I am with Nerdanel here. This is the course of action you should now take

1. Take the book in your right hand
2. Get the lighter in your left hand
3. Turn on the lighter
4. Introduce it to the book
5. Laugh like soon maniac as the book burns
6. Go down the bookshop again and buy something by George Martin or Steven Erikson, breathing a huge sigh of relief.

On no account read that book. Else you will end up like me, the less than proud owner of nine Jordan books, only 3 of which are any good at all. The rest were purchased in repeated weak moments.

Oh the pain ! Oh the Insanity ! Nurse, fetch the Rubber Room. Narika nBari nAdun yanakhim<i></i>

Post subject: Re: If you like Crap, Jordan's your man
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:00 pm 
Master Pilot

I see. Beren, this is a question for you. The reviews I read said he was the best fantasy writer since Tolkien. I was skeptical, is that true? Life is a game, play it well, play it wisely. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: If you like Crap, Jordan's your man
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:47 pm 
Master Pilot

If u pay any1 enuf they'll say anything...I've never seen anything or heard anything but poop about and in Jordan. Now if u'd like 2 replace him with Donaldson, Martin and (from what I hear) Erikson, there u go.
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/29/02 9:35:58 am
</i>

Post subject: $Sigh$
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:59 pm 
Master Pilot

Looks like this book isnt worth the read, am I correct good members of the Hangar? Life is a game, play it well, play it wisely. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Jordan is so bad because there ARE fans, still
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:15 am 
Pilot

Jordan divides opinions radically on a Tolkien board I frequent. Some people think he's the best thing ever. Many of them sound strangely immature though. And I know there are Jordan boards...

If Jordan didn't have such a rabid fan cadre he would likely have written a boring trilogy and been done with it. Now he's found a sure way to make money by writing ever-extendable über-boring hack-work.

Actually, you might like to read that book, simply not to waste money and to know what people are talking about. I've somehow ended up reading - but not buying! - the first five. They are better than Eddings. On the other hand, you might get better money in an used-book store if the book had never been opened... <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 8:10 pm 
Master Pilot

The Eye of the World isnt exactly LOTR, its okay. The events are pretty predictable, though. For me, that makes it less of a fantasy in my eyes. Life is a game, play it well, play it wisely. <i>Edited by: mhoram6910 at: 11/7/02 1:47:47 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:43 pm 
Master Pilot

I have never read the Wheel of Time books, either, but I have heard alot about them. People seem to either love them or hate them. I haven't really been all that motivated to pick them up, since the series shows no sign of ending, as mentioned above.

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:57 pm 
Master Pilot

Well, maybe, just maybe mind you, the reason Donaldson is writing another Covenant trilogy is because of the fan base. I mean, if he writes a full 3rd Chronicles, then hed have 9 books just like Jordans Wheel of Time. Never did He make two things the same; never did He utter one word twice. After earths, not better earths but beasts; after beasts not better beasts, but spirits. After a falling, not a recovery, but a new creation, not a third but the mode of change itself is changed forever. Blessed be He!<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:21 pm 
Pilot

If Donaldson was like Jordan we would be waiting to find out what happens when Covenant finds out Elena is his daughter. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 6:13 pm 
Master Pilot

Thats harsh!

What else has Jordan written besides the Wheel of Time? The dead pay the debts of the living. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:21 pm 
Pilot

Jordan has written some Conan books under a different name but they have been reissued under Jordan after he became famous. I haven't read any of them. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:26 pm 
Master Pilot

He's written a bunch of pap-fantasy aside from WoT like Winter's Heart, that was all over Wal-Marts and shopping centers 4 the last 2 years--That's a clue right there! Like Brooks and Eddings the "crap-masters" get the better publicity! arrgh!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:21 pm 
Pilot

I think Winter's Heart was the latest book of WoT. <i></i>