Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Jordan is so bad because there ARE fans, still
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:01 pm 
Master Pilot

Really, well as u can c I don't follow Jordan, thankfully! I read some of it and thought I was reading Eddings!!!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 11/21/02 10:36:40 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:11 am 
Master Pilot

Is everything Jordan written crap? I mean, if hes this popular, something has to be good! Or does it... The dead pay the debts of the living. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:07 am 
Master Pilot

Look at it this way mhoram--go in2 any Walmart, Dept. store (like Target), phamacy (like Walgreens), supermarket, etc...and look at the book section. Sandwiched in between the Grishams, Clancys, Cooks and tons of Romance novels u will find a VERY small smattering of Fantasy--most of which consists of authors like Brooks, Jordan and Eddings. Looking alot nicer lately due 2 Tolkien reissues 2 go along w/the movies. Tons of people buy Romance novels. The majority of people (and I don't want 2 sound like an intellectual bigot here..) buy mass-marketed pap Fantasy and don't kno any better--they haven't been xposed 2 the great stuff like we have...

Like romance novels, these type of books r what some people call "Summer" or "beach reads". They take one on a nice little adventure and don't require the exertion of brain matter. These type of books bcome familiar and safe. It's like network television--simple mindless fun--they bcome easily used 2 these books--basically because they're lazy. It's sort of apparent=the people who frequent REAL bookstores have some idea what they'r looking 4 in the 1st place--the people who buy books elsewhere never had a clue 2 begin with. So if u don't put out the effort--u get what u pay for.

Un42nately it is a large majority of the populus--like Tolkien, originally, Donaldson and Martin, 4 xample, the really good stuff is circulated by word of mouth. The positive thing I see with the LOTR movies, and even Harry Potter 4 that matter, is that they r inspiring whole new generations 2 read a better class of Fantasy than ever b4!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:05 pm 
Master Pilot

I hate the way people who had barely even heard of LOTR become 'huge fans' after seeing the movie, and then reading the books w/pictures FROM the movie on the front! The dead pay the debts of the living. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 11:29 pm 
Master Pilot

What is it that people dislike about Jordan? Not having read WOT, I am curious why it is so disliked by some and so loved by others.

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 11:53 pm 
Master Pilot

Some hate him because he appears to be writing this 'never-ending' series because of the money hes making! Plus, his female characters are renowned for their...'bitch-ness' so to speak, or so I hear. Further up, and further in!<i></i>

Post subject: Jordan
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 1:34 am 
Lady Scryer

He's up to book 11 now -- and they are huge books -- and no sign of any sort of end, or so I understand from people who've read book 11. His female characters are HORRIBLE. I read the first few books, and couldn't take them any more. The could all be cloned from one another, all look down at men (I've heard them described as "sniffers" because they all sniff at men and tug at their braids in disgust), and flash their bare breasts. Very juvenile stuff.
I'd take Martin or Donaldson or McKillip or Le Guin or Zelazney any day over any more Jordan.
And yes, I'm probably pretty harsh in my opinion. But this guy writes thousands of pages where NOTHING that matters to the plot happens!
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Jordan
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:46 am 
Master Pilot

Tell us more about McKillup. please... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Post subject: Jordan
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:47 am 
Lady Scryer

In the name of fairness, I should add that Jordan has a LOT of fans, so maybe they're seeing something I'm not (individual tastes can differ quite a bit). I should also add that there's a lot worse out there than the WOT! And I would like to give the advice not to start this series until it looks like it might actually end. Otherwise you might be in for a loooooong wait! <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:00 pm 
Master Pilot

Dang! Further up, and further in!<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:10 pm 
Lady Scryer

Well, the main complaint even from his diehard fans seems to be the lack of progress in the main plotline of his story. Do you really want to put in the time to read 10,000 or more pages, and still have to wait possibly several years to find out how the story ends?
To me, it would be better to wait until he's done, then make one huge effort, but that's just me. If you don't mind facing the long wait, then by all means, go for it! Winter is Coming
Blood and Fire
Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 10:53 pm 
Master Pilot

I dont see what anyone sees in the WoT...should I finish the Eye of the World? Hello, and good-bye, as always.

Further up, and further in<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:27 am 
Lady Scryer

Well, if you've enjoyed it so far, by all means, go for it!
But I think you'll enjoy your Amber and Earthsea more... Winter is Coming
Blood and Fire
Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:52 pm 
Master Pilot

Definitely! As King Theoden once said 'If Im not interested in the books after the first 50 pages, I owe the author nothing'. Sorry Mr. Jordan! Hello, and good-bye, as always.

Further up, and further in<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 5:14 pm 
Master Pilot

These books sound like a huge exercise in frustration. I'm beginning to be glad I never picked them up. And if the female characters are as bad as you say, I am sure that aspect would make me mad.

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>