Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Fantasy Finders Top 25: & your bookshelves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:39 pm 
Pilot

I'm like Tolkien himself - I hate allegory regardless of whether I agree with it. I like when a fictional book makes me think but not when the book attempts to make me think in a particular way. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:48 pm 
Master Pilot

I'm really not in2 the Xtian thing or religion--so I tend 2 look naively past any allegory and just try 2 enjoy the story...
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:44 pm 
Pilot

I'm afraid I was in this respect spoiled by early education. We were not overtly religious but my mother made some effort to teach me about God and the only day club around was run by the church. And in Finland Religion is a school class avoidable only by not being a member of the church AND a written permission from the parents, neither of which I got my parents to agree to. Also the day-openings at school tended to be religious due to us having no true separation of church and state. (Still I'd say Finland is a considerably more secular country than America.) And so on. I can't not to notice religious allegory and it didn't fully work even when I was a child. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:54 pm 
Master Pilot

That stinks! Yes the US is xtremely religious, especially in Govt. It's just very well hidden and not really talked about...
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:12 pm 
Master Pilot

Seperation of Church and State isnt all its cut out to be...just look at our currency. The dead pay the debts of the living. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:39 am 
Master Pilot

The pursuit of money is the root of all evil--and out money says "In God we Trust"...hmmmm....Hey Nerdanel! Is that the same Legend that has The Burning Man by Tad Williams and stories by other cool authors?
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 11:39 pm 
Master Pilot

The authors on that list I have read are:
J.R.R. Tolkien
Stephen Donaldson
Terry Pratchett: I started The Color of Magic, but never finished it for some reason - but my purchase of the book started Foamy and Shlomo on a very big Pratchett kick - they devour his books.
C.S. Lewis
Marion Zimmer Bradley

Other fantasy/scifi writers I like:
Garth Nix
Mary Stewart
Phillip Pullman
Orson Scott Card

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, right now.

What does anyone know about Stephen Lawhead's The Pendragon Cycle? I saw some of his books at a recent bookfair, but decided not to buy.

~MsMary~

"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:33 pm 
Master Pilot

Yes it is Danlo! I have that, too! Great antholgy...other then the fact that JORDAN was in it! The dead pay the debts of the living. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 4:29 am 
Pilot

Ill just say whats on my bookshelf i guess...

1-ASoIaF-Martin
2-Chronicles of Amber-Zelazny
3-LotR
4-Vlad Taltos Chronicles(series doesnt really have a name)-Brust
5-Khaavren Saga(Series doesnt really have a name)-Brust
6-A whole lot of Heinlein
7-Ivanhoe-Sir Walter Scott
8-Serpentwar Saga-Feist
9-Riftwar Saga-Feist
10-All the "March to the..."books by Weber and Ringo
11-Turtledoves ww2 series
12-Enders Game-Card
13-The Prince-Machiavelli
14-Silmarillion-Tolkien
15-Hornblower series
16-SoT-Goodkind(not ashamed because I enjoyed it heh)
17-Sword of Shannara-Brooks(Purchased at advice of father to read after surgery on leg...I never forgave him)
18-Musashi-Yoshikawa
19-Elric-Moorcock
20-pern-mccaffery(again purchased by advice of father...not horrible but it wasnt anything special)
ok /wo my bookshelf for reference here thats all I can think of... Asshai by the Shadow a new board, come discuss the darker side of ASoIaF.<i></i>

Post subject: Stephen Lawhead
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 4:53 am 
Pilot

MsMary,

I've read the first two in the Pendragon cycle, and enjoyed both very much, it's a new slant on the old Arthurian legends, though I've only read Taliesin, and Merlin, both Arthur and Pendragon I have yet to read, I think he's a great author, with good storytelling qualities, I read Merlin first, and really enjoyed it, there's a part where he let's the battle take over and it becomes like a dance to him, that's really neat, and there's a part with a wolf that was difficult for me, at first to understand, but when I got it, it was very familiar. And in the beginning, the hillfolk are really neat. Yes, pick up these books and read oh, I wanted to comment, I think of these books as fitting into kind of a Celtic theme, and I want to mention another author who works with the same stuff Morgan Llywelyn, pick her up too, she's really neat! Hey, I have a simple web site, with some stuff about books, here, it's users.psln.com/swm come see?

-shiny <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 10:52 pm 
Master Pilot

Thanks for the info on Lawhead, Shiny. Maybe I will check him out. (I can add him to my rapidly growing TBR list. )

You have an interesting collection of authors on your site. It's nice the way you link each author's name with a website. Makes it easy to get more information on the author.

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>