Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Man! I need a good fantasy!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:48 am 
Master Pilot

I really wanna read a new fantasy! Any sugggestions? Your affectionate uncle, Screwtape<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Man! I need a good fantasy!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 3:09 am 
Master Pilot

Well, I am beginning G. R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. Starts w/A Game of Thrones and am enjoying it immensely! Plus, u can discuss away in Fenestering Through Martin..Have u read the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams? I've heard it is very good--I've read The first 2 books in his Otherland Series and am really in2 them. I really like his style! The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 9/18/02 6:13:43 am
</i>

Post subject: Fantasy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:56 am 
Master Pilot

Donaldson's Convenant Series or Erikson's Malazan Tales. Both are good reads <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Fantasy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:15 pm 
Master Pilot

Believe me Beren mhoram has read his Donaldson!!! Hence his name! He is another 1 of the mad horde who followed me over from Kevin's Watch!! The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 10:22 pm 
Master Pilot

Thank you, Danlo. A Song of Fire and Ice hey? What about this Amber series PoA rants about? Your affectionate uncle, Screwtape<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:24 am 
Master Pilot

I've read Amber 2 and enjoyed the series very much--it is full of weirdness and intrigue and some very cool characters. Alot of action--but compared to Covenant and ASOIAF it may not be as complex, deep, detailed and compelling. Definately a action-packed fun read--definately different! The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:01 am 
Master Pilot

The Chronicles of Amber. Im going to read them. I dont want a Covenant-style book to read right now, something lighter. Your affectionate uncle, Screwtape<i></i>

Post subject: Amber
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 7:44 am 
Pilot

I like the idea that I rant about the Amber books, being a Prince in that place you would expect that wouldn't you? They are a very good read, and as far away from the Chronicles as you can get in the Fantasy genre. I feel abit guilty because in a previous post I kinda slagged off the Robin Hobb books, Assassins Apprentice etc., but I'm on the 3rd book in the series now and they have improved alot, I really like this last book and I'm glad I stuck with them. So there's another Fantasy series for you to try Mhoram. Let us now how you like Amber and Chaos, try picking your favorites from both Realms, (you'll have to read all 10 books to pick a favorite Choasite) <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Amber
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:46 pm 
Pilot

May I suggest the Incarnations of Immoratlity by Piers Anthony. It's about the seven uber-strong beings who run things:

Death, or Thanatos rules, well, death.
Chronos is the lord of time.
Fate, made of Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos controls... well... fate.
Mars is war.
Gaea controls nature.
Satan conrtrols evil, and God controls goodness.

Actually a pretty good series, malding fantasy and science fiction well. It is, though, predominantly fantasy.

D.W. Come to the Duck Side... DARK! I MEANT DARK!DAMNIT!<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:56 pm 
Master Pilot

Fans of The Gap series by Donaldson will def sit up at the mention of Thanatos! Sounds intriguing DW! Perhaps u could start a topic on Piers Anthony? I've read some of Anthony's Sci-Fi but it really weirded me out--especially Orn, I truly believe he is a much better Fantasy writter--I liked Juxtaposition and The Blue Adept quite alot! The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 2:47 pm 
Master Pilot

I'll thro my rave for Tad Willims Memory Sorrow & Thorn

Similar to Tolkien in structure, Donaldson in darkness (IMHO) <i></i>