Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 7:06 pm 
Master Pilot

I have just journeyed from a used book store, where I bought the original copies of the first two books of the Space Trilogy. Ive read the first three chapters, and its great! As you can probably see, Im going through a C.S. Lewis phase. Your affectionate uncle, Screwtape<i>Edited by: mhoram6910 at: 10/8/02 5:12:33 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:23 am 
Master Pilot

Alright, I just finished it! Cant wait to read Perelandra! The religious tones of this book were a little bit hard to recognize and decipher...maybe if SOMEONE else read it theyd help me out....I am you see, not implying anything. Further up, and further in!<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 4:54 am 
Master Pilot

I am intrigued .. why you so desperately want to seek christian related imagery .. can you explain why this is such a common approach to what you read?? health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:49 pm 
Master Pilot

Not everything, Sky. Just Lewis' books. It can be fun to find them, and his POV is interesting. Further up, and further in!<i></i>

Post subject: Raves about Perelandra!!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 7:44 pm 
Master Pilot

Im about 100 pages through of Perelandra, book 2 of the Space Trilogy. I dont mean to spoil it for anyone....but Id like to mention the fact that the devil IS in this book. Its kind of freaky actually.....read Out of the Silent Planet and this book! Theyre awesome! Further up, and further in!<i></i>

Post subject: Raves
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 7:13 am 
Pilot

So, have you finished it yet? Great book, isn't it. I assume you're planning to read "That Hideous Strength" next. It's also an excellent book, although I think "Perelandra" is my favorite of the three.

N <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Raves
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 7:05 pm 
Master Pilot

Well, it took a while for Perelandra to get some action going, but there was just a really good scene. But so far I like Out of the Silent Planet more. Loved the species and imagination in that book. Only Lewis... Further up, and further in!<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 8:48 pm 
Master Pilot

Im done. It was great...the attempt at the Garden story was intriguing and very original.

Then Un-Man was a perplexing, and scary character. Im just waiting to get my hands on THS! The planet he saw appeared to have continents that looked surprisingly like Northern Europe and North America. Ransom realized it was Earth he was seeing-Thulcandra, the Silent Planet <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:21 am 
Pilot

The scene where the Un-man is killing the froggie critters just for the sheer pleasure of it is quite frightening when you think about it. It kind of reminds me of some of the twisted people around today, who, as a matter of habit, cause as much pain and suffering as they can without even hardly thinking about it. Lewis could see what was coming. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:36 am 
Master Pilot

He truly was a genius... The planet he saw appeared to have continents that looked surprisingly like Northern Europe and North America. Ransom realized it was Earth he was seeing-Thulcandra, the Silent Planet <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:02 am 
Master Pilot

So what you're saying is....it's worth a read?

*earthy snickers at his great attempt at humor*

All this raving..hmmm...I'll have to check it out - I did browse the back cover @ the book store... <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:12 am 
Master Pilot

LOL, of which book? The planet he saw appeared to have continents that looked surprisingly like Northern Europe and North America. Ransom realized it was Earth he was seeing-Thulcandra, the Silent Planet <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:11 am 
Master Pilot

Can't remember name - guess it was the first of the series <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:54 pm 
Master Pilot

I read online that Ransom the philologist and main character of the Space Trilogy probably represents Tolkien; a friend of Lewis. It would be so like C.S. Lewis to do something like that! Never did He make two things the same; never did He utter one word twice. After earths, not better earths but beasts; after beasts not better beasts, but spirits. After a falling, not a recovery, but a new creation, not a third but the mode of change itself is changed forever. Blessed be He!<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:52 am 
Lady Scryer

They're offering these in a three in one volume in the book club I belong to at a pretty good price. Are they a good read if so, I might go for 'em. my sister, o my sister! There's the cause on 't. Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, Like diamonds we are cut with our own dust -- John Webster's "The Duchess of Malfi", first performed in England in 1614<i></i>