Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: C. S. Lewis
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 4:45 am 
Master Pilot

Ever read Out of the Silent Planet? Or Chronicles of Narnia? Ever read any other of Lewis' work? Kno anything about his life? Wasn't here a movie w/Hopkins as Lewis? On another thread we've all begun chatting about Narnia-so I figured it was high time this enchanting writer and friend of John Tolkien got his own thread! The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: C. S. Lewis
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 4:11 pm 
Master Pilot

Lewis and Tolkien hooked up in Oxford. They read each other their new works. I think Lewis is not on a par with JRRT, but as childrens stories go Narina is hard to beat.

Danlo - did you realise when you first read Narnai that there was a massive Christain allegory going on ? I got a New Rose I got it goodYes I knew that I always would<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 4:33 pm 
Master Pilot

Shadowlands is the movie where Sir Anthony Hopkins played Lewis, and yes I did--like I said on the other thread The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is my fav Narnia book--but it's really hard 2 beat The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe! The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/30/02 9:33:58 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:45 am 
Pilot

I've read Narnia, Mere Chrisianity and The Screwtape Letters.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:36 am 
Master Pilot

I heard alot about The Screwtape Letters and have wanted, all my life, to read it! Is it worth it Fid? What can u tell me? The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:57 pm 
Pilot

It is very interesting! What it is about is a demon trying to "win over" a man and the demon is writing letters to his uncle about his progress and to get advice, etc. And the uncle writes back telling him how bad he is doing and what he needs to do, why he needs to do it and what the reasons are. It is a very interesing perspective, demon to demon conversation about trying to get a man away from God.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:08 pm 
Master Pilot

Wow! Cool! I'm intrigued!!!Thanks!! The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 4:54 am 
Master Pilot

mmm also intrigued .. I love the Chrons of Narnia .. thats regualtion literature for any child .. and even older .. I read LW&tW to my kids recently .. they didnt want to stop and we read the whole book at one sitting .. stopping only for snacks .. we finished at about 9.30pm .. and they loved it!!

even my youngest boy who I thought didnt possess the attention span long enough to listen to the whole book .. but yes siree .. he did ..

amazing what you learn about your kids ..

I never realised that Lewis wrote sci-fi till I read some other posts about Lewis and came across a sci-fi of his in a recycle book store .. a fav hangout ..

JRRT didnt just read his pages to Lewis but Lewis mentored his progress .. was his mentor .. and supplied him with the requisite encouragement that all authors from time to time need .. when embarking on such immense projects as the likes of Tolkiens .. health and healing<i></i>

Post subject: Narnia
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:15 pm 
Pilot

Ah, Narnia, what a place that is...... Cair Paravel.... Reepicheep, those books are so much lighter then your average fantasy...if you know what I mean! <i></i>

Post subject: Narnia on TV
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:59 pm 
Master Pilot

Has anyone seen any of the BBC TV Narnia series ? <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:21 pm 
Master Pilot

No, but I own the BBC movies. further up and further in<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Narnia
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:00 am 
Master Pilot

huh? <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Narnia on TV
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:06 pm 
Master Pilot

On TV they were originally a series (one a week), when sent to Video they became Movies. Wonderful stuff It thought. Narika nBari nAdun yanakhim<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 1:48 pm 
Master Pilot

Yes, they were pretty good, and acurrate. further up and further in<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:55 am 
Master Pilot

I saw them in their TV series form .. but not all .. just the crumbs from the table that made there way over here! But I tell you if you want to serialise a beloved book .. the BBC is who you want to do it!! they always maintain the integrity of the story .. They did a fab Hornblower and a lot of Austin classics! fab stuff!! health and healing<i></i>