[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Wheel of Time to be finished...by Brandon Sanderson

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wheel of Time to be finished...by Brandon Sanderson
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:42 pm 
The UnTitled

Not usually. I think they might base that on the declared value at the senders end. Can't remember if I paid for the one you sent me...I don't think so. I did pay a little for the Gap book LuciMay sent me, but I think that was only because it came from an online bookstore. But because it was shipped as used and of low value, it was also a nominal value.

--A

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:33 pm 
Lady Scryer

Good, because I have been slowly collecting free used books for you, and would absolutely hate the thought of you having to pay some sort of tax or duty on something I paid nothing for, other than shipping. Speaking of which, PM me your snail mail, Av, and I will try to get the box in the mail next week, so it might get to you by the holidays. :)

I have read about the first three chapters of the new book.

Yes, so far it is mostly about Rand and Egwene, though I was expecting that through Sanderson's interviews.

What is really strange is that occasionally the book gets really choppy, as the author (whichever one it was) uses a bunch of one word sentence fragments. Awkward. :wink: I do not remember that about Jordan's writing style. The thing is - I do not remember it about Sanderson's writing style, either! (And I have read four of his books, so it seems like it would have stuck out?) I am wondering if those are scenes possibly written in rough draft by Jordan, and which Sanderson did not want to smooth out as he is trying to retain as much of Jordan's work as humanly possible? :?

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:58 pm 
The UnTitled

:oops: Ah thanks Duchess. I really appreciate it. You guys are great. *bows deeply*

--A

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:57 pm 
Lady Scryer

I'm about 2/3 done with the book now, and have to admit that I'm liking it more than I was expecting. :) It the first WOT book in quite some time where the pacing actually works for me. :)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:10 am 
Lady Scryer

Maybe it is just relief because the book didn't suck - but I actually enjoyed it. Finished it earlier this evening, and was actually sorry the book ended - I want more. :shock: :shock: :shock: Never thought I would say that about a WOT book ever again. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sanderson actually got the timing right. All sorts of important things happened - so it was a lot faster paced than most of the later books in the WOT series, but there was also enough room and time in the story so that all of those big events got some build-up, too. :D

I do not want to make any spoilers, but do know that it was a lot better than I feared it would be. 8)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:13 pm 
The UnTitled

Well, I'd have been reading it either way, so that's good to know. :D Better than KoD?

--A

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:12 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:14 pm 
The UnTitled

Yeah, KoD was a little too fast. Trying to make up for lost time. ;)

--A

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:30 pm 
Lady Scryer

I've often wondered if Jordan knew how sick he was when he was writing it. Or possibly did not know per se, but suspected something was just not right in his body... :(

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:50 pm 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:48 pm 
The UnTitled

Picked it up today, along with Night of Knives. :D Birthday presents. :D

--A

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:39 am 
Lady Scryer

:sky: :sky: :sky: :sky: :sky:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:20 pm 
The UnTitled

About half way through, and enjoying it. Only the fact that Jordan had already found his way back in book 11 prevents me from saying Sanderson rescued the series.

--A

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:42 am 
Lady Scryer

So what was your final verdict, Av? :)

(I am actually looking forward to the autumn and the second Sanderson/Jordan book - . And the Donaldson book, too, of course. :wink:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:24 pm 
The UnTitled

Overall, my verdict was extremely positive. Really depressed I have to wait for the next book now. :( That bit you spoilered...been waiting for that for ages. :lol:

--A

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next