[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Judaism in Science Fiction/Fantasy

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Judaism in Science Fiction/Fantasy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:21 am 
Lady Scryer

Tonight I started reading a genre bending book called The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon. It is detective noir set on an alternate Earth where part of the Alaskan pan-handle was set aside for Jewish refugees following WW2 and the fall of Israel in that world's 1948. So millions of Jewish people end up living in Sitka, where the novel is set.

Made me start to wonder why Jewish cultures and religion are not more often used in science fiction and fantasy, given their historical importance and cultural richness in our world?

There is Mary Doria Russell in her wonderful science fiction novels. There is good solid fantasy set in an alternate Earth by Jackie Carey. I read a fairly mediocre science fiction trilogy with Jewish characters, whose author I cannot even remember now, through I think it was called The Firebird Trilogy. And there are important Jewish characters in Robert Silverberg's Roma Eterna and in David Gemmell's wonderful Troy novels.

Is there more good stuff out there that I have just not run into?

(And on a side note, I suppose the same questions could be asked about the Muslim religion and its underrepresentation in science fiction and fantasy. I can think of some science fiction/fantasy books that deal with Hinduism, but none with the Muslim religion other than Silverberg's Roma Eterna. Heck, I can even think of three that deal with the Aztec religion right off the top of my head. :? )

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:56 am 
The UnTitled

To be honest, I can't think of anything off the top of my head. The enders game series had planets that had been colonised by various racial/religious/ethnic groups, including muslims.

Robert Adams post-apocalyptic Horseclans series had Islam as one of the major religions in it...

If I had to guess, people are probably worried about being construed as ignorant/whatever if they write about other religions...gods know Adams didn't seem to know much about Islam. :D Will see if I can remember anything else...oh...one of the Gibson novels had Rastafarians as characters...not significant to plot though.

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:03 am 
Lady Scryer

There were Jewish and Muslim planets in Dan Simmon's Hyperion series. While the Muslim world never really comes into important play, Hebron (the Jewish world) is homeworld for some important characters, and Saul and his daughter Rachel are quite essential to the story.

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:45 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
*eyes wide*

I had no idea such even existed...

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:06 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:44 pm 

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:03 am 
Lady Scryer

I had temporarily forgoteen about Briar Rose. Man, that is a good little book, if heart wrenching for its subject matter. Jane Yolen retells the classic fairy tale and sets it in the Nazi death camps in Poland.

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:46 am 
Master Pilot

Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:04 pm 

Don't know...

I've never gotten into Dune...

*donning flame suit*

~Avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:24 pm 
Lady Scryer

It's OK, Menolly. :)

Fist, I do not remember Judaism becoming important until right near the end? Was that Heretics, Chapterhouse, or Hunters? Or was there something in the earlier books I am not remembering?

After all of those thousands and thousands of years, Judaism was still around. :D 8)

[spoiler]I really liked that Jewish RM. I did not like her storyline in Hunters.[/spoiler]

Image Image Image

Post subject: Other religions in SF
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:13 pm 
Master Pilot

This is most likely OFF TOPIC. Farnham's Freehold by Heinlein, IIRC one of the post Apocalyptic alternatives in that was somewhat based on Arabic society not sure if there was a religious aspect.

Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series, has an ethnic minority described that's a passing semblance to Jewish.

W/T are forever

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:23 pm 
Master Pilot

Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:00 am 
The Timekeeper

Last edited by danlo on Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:59 am 

~Avatar