[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Rereads and loooooooong fantasy series

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:10 am

All times are UTC

do you find yourself having trouble finding time for rereads?
yes , most of the time with most series 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
no, never - or very rarely 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
sometimes, but only when the series get HUGE 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
I do not even have enough time for "first reads" !!!! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4
 Post subject: Rereads and loooooooong fantasy series
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:35 pm 
Lady Scryer

Like many fantasy fans, I have found myself to be in the middle of many series.

I often like to reread the existing books in a series before the new book comes out, for memory purposes and for continuity.

But a few series have gotten so long that I just cannot find the time to reread the older books. For instance - I cannot find the time to either reread Jordan's Wheel of Time or Erikson's Malazan books when a new one is coming out.

It is not just the number of books- it is the sheer length of them as well as the quantity that just make it too daunting to even think about.

Was wondering if anyone else has found a problem with time management like this? :?

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:33 am 
The UnTitled

*shrug* I have a great advantage in that I read very very fast. If necessary and undisturbed, I can get through most of the WoT books in a day or two each.

I've read the entire series each time a new one comes out. And because I read much faster than I can afford new books, I do a lot of re-reading.

I probably make a full turn through my fantasy and sci-fi collections every two or three years. And there are some series that I'll read every year or so just for the fun of it.

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:10 am 
Lady Scryer

I am also a pretty quick reader, and do try to reread series which are not quite as...epic...in scope as Jordan or Erikson. :wink: :)

I'll probably reread all seven of SRD's Covenant books this summer before the release of Fatal Revenant in the fall. :)

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:09 am 
The UnTitled

Nah, I'll probably just re-read Runes for it.

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:44 am 
Pilot

I would say yes, I have problems.

I re-read the Covenant books before Runes, and I plan on re-reading Runes before Revenant. And I also re-read the first four Dark Tower books when King decided to finish out the last three books. But these are exceptions. I always have about 20 books I've been meaning to get to, so re-reading only comes few and far between.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:04 am 
The UnTitled

I'm a compulsive re-reader. :D

I think the Hobbit ranks as the book I've been re-readinglongest, and I stopped counting at about my 15th read of it.

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:04 pm 
Lady Scryer

Tolkien is always worth a reread. I have been considering a reread of either the Sil or Unfinished Tales before Children of Hurin comes out. :)

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:17 am 
The UnTitled

Yeah, I should definitely read the Silmarillion again...been far too long.

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:57 pm 
Master Pilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:50 pm 
Lady Scryer

The last time I did Covenant was right before Runes came out. So I am definately due. It used to be an annual thing for me (at least). :)

One of these days I should probably reread Malazan. I enjoyed all of the books except for Gardens of the Moon and Midnight Tides. Perhaps once the entire ten books are out I might enjoy those two novels a lot more in the context of a reread. That would certainly be a major undertaking in time resources, however. :?

As for Jordan...I do not think I will be rereading that series even though the last book is due out next year. While Jordan can write individual scenes with the best of them, the way the series plot dragged in some of the later books..meh....though perhaps that might not be as noticable if you read the books straight through, rather than waiting for them. :? And it would be another huge comitment in time resources. :?

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:00 am 
Master Pilot

Don't get me started on Jordan. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:47 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:26 pm 
Master Pilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:54 pm 
Master Pilot

It's really hard for me to fit my answer into the choices in your poll. Some books I have re-read multiple times, no problem. Others, I can't seem to re-read at all, even though I try. I am not sure if it has to do with the length of the book, the difficulty of the book, the stage of life that I am in, or all of these factors together. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:47 am 
Lady Scryer

It might well be all of those factors put together. :)

I think once I am done with the little novel I am in the middle of reading, I will reread Zindell's Ea books, as the fourth and last one in the series is due to be released soon. You know, those books are as big as cinder blocks, but I am not dreading rereading them the way I would be some of the later Jordan books, or the two Malazan books that I did not care for. :D :lol:

And I know that sometimes I will start to read a book and know that it is a good book and I will like it - but I am just not in a time or place that I can get into it. So I will end up setting it aside for a few weeks or months or even years - and eventually I will get to a place/zone/emotional or mental state where I can really appreciate and love it. I started reading Dunsany's King of Elfland's Daughter three different times, knowing each time that it was a wonderful story, but just not being able to get into it. The last time I was in a good place, and I could not read it fast enough. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Image Image Image