[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - What Can You Tell me about Scott Lynch?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 9:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: What Can You Tell me about Scott Lynch?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:09 pm 
Lady Scryer

Scott Lynch (along with Joe Abercrombie) is a new author who seems to be making huge waves on fantasy internet discussion boards. In Lynch's case, he seems to have a huge appeal to fans of George RR Martin in particular, which interests me as a Martin fan.

I know that thus far he has written one novel, the highly acclaimed The Lies of Locke Lamora.

What I am unsure of is whether or not that novel is part of a series, and how many books that series is projected to be?

( I know that might sound goofy to a lot of people, but whether or not something is part of a huge series, and whether or not the author is able to regularly deliver the novels in that series, as well as the age and health of the author writing them - are all parts of a decision of whether or not I will start reading a particular author or series. :oops: :oops: :oops: )

So - has anyone read this book by Lynch? Without giving me huge spoilers - what is his writing style like? Does this book live up to the huge amount of hype? How many books are expected to follow it (if any)?

Thanks! :D

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:14 pm 
Master Pilot

Once again, haven't read him, but can tell you a little.
The Lies of Locke Lamora is the first novel in the "Gentlemen Bastards" series (that being the name of the group of conmen Lamora belongs to). The books are to be roughly stand-alone, but all follow Locke Lamora as the main character showing his changing circumstances through life. There are going to be seven books in this series; the second, Red Seas Under Red Skies is due out soon. Once that run of books is over--they are to be released at regular intervals, much like Erikson's series--he has said he has a second 'series' of seven books in mind (I think he said they would move onto a different main character, but I'm not sure).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:47 pm 
Lady Scryer

If they are all to be roughly stand alones, I just might be giving them a try. :) Thanks Alan! 8)

(Otherwise, like with Erikson, I would probably be waiting until the series is half finished to make sure the author can deliver books regularly and is staying healthy. :? )

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:19 pm 
Lady Scryer

Lynch has apparently posted an excerpt from his upcoming second novel at his Livejournal. So we can all get a taste of his writing now. :)

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:40 pm 
Lady Scryer

I still have not read that excerpt from book two. :oops: I am too afriad for spoilers for book one, as I have not read it yet.

But I think I can say that Scott Lynch himself sounds like a pretty cool guy:
:D 8)

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:53 pm 
Pilot

All I have to say Duchess is give it a try. It's one of those books that after reading five pages you are already sucked into the story. There is no slow or confusing start. I was shocked at how easily I picked the book up and was instantly hooked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:03 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:40 am 
Lady Scryer

Just finished Lies - it was great fun. The book equivalent of a heist movie, or perhaps a James Bond movie without nekkid women.

It is set in a middle ages version of Venice on another world, built upon the ruins of an alien city.

Tells of a precocious orphaned thief named Locke Lamora, and his group of thieves/friends called the Gentleman Bastards.

The swearing might bother some people, but considering that the book is about career criminals, I thought it to be appropriate under the circumstances.

Pure popcorn read, but man was it ever a lot of fun! :popcorn:

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:20 pm 
Lady Scryer

According to Bantam (Lynch's British publisher) the third novel, Republic of Thieves is slotted to be released this coming September (2008).

(As for me, I still need to read the second book. :oops: )

Image Image Image