[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - What can you tell me about Joe Abercrombie?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: What can you tell me about Joe Abercrombie?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:41 pm 
Lady Scryer

That is an interview with one of the most hyped new writers in fantasy - Joe Ambercrombie.

Unfortunately, he does not seem to have an American publisher yet.
:?

Discussion boards are really excited about his first novel (one of a reported trilogy) called something like The Blade Itself, with a second book due to come out soon, and the third book in about a year.

I would love it if any Europeans here who have read the book could fill me in a bit on this writer - without huge spoilers!! - and tell me about his writing style and his novel/s. :)

I have been avoiding most of the threads about him at most boards, as I am looking for general knowledge rather than specific spoilerific types of things. :)

Thanks!

ps. The fact that he is writing a trilogy rather than a ten or so book series, and that he seems to be releasing them on schedule are big points in his favor to me. 8)

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:03 pm 
Master Pilot

I've not read his work, but I've heard a little about it. The first book is called The Blade Itself, like you said, and the second about to come out is Before They Are Hanged. Last year Abercrombie's name kept coming up alongside that of Scott Lynch, but usually with the disclaimer that Lynch's book was better. The first reviews of Before They Are Hanged have been fairly positive, and the new book is apparently an improvement on the first.
Not having read them, however, that's about as much as I can say about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:29 am 
The UnTitled

I think it was Homer who wrote, The Blade itself is an incitement to violence..

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:43 am 
Lady Scryer

Abercrombie is a member over at the Martin board, and he has posted to say that he has turned in the third book to his publisher - ten months before his deadline. :shock: :o

Gotta love it! :) 8)

Maybe when that third one is out, I will check into ordering them from Britain. :)

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:35 pm 
Lady Scryer

The first book by Abercrombie (along with another very well regarded British fantasy novel called Winterbirth by Brian Ruckley) have very recently been published in the US as paperbacks. 8)

I am so glad that their American publishers are going straight to affordable paper rather than making putting them out in hard cover when they have long been available as paperbacks in other countries. 8) I have always hated Tor for publishing Erikson as hardcovers years after they have been available as paperbacks overseas. :razz: I mean - there is making a decent profit, and then there is straight forward ripping people off. :wink:

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:08 pm 
Lady Scryer

I am really geeked up about The Blade Itself. Most fun I have had with any fantasy book in quite some time. 8) Really great characters - especially the crippled up torturer who is always muttering nasty sarcastic comments under his breath. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am a Glotka fangirl now! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

This was a truly fun, truly wonderful book. 8) cannot wait for the release of the next book this spring. :D

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:31 am 
Lady Scryer

I am nearly done with the second book of The First Law trilogy - which is technically not released in the US yet, but Amazon has been shipping them weeks early. 8)

The book is called Before They Are Hanged and is set on four different continents of that particular world. The Union is at war in the North over Angland. Col. West and various members of Logen's former band are involved in that. Down in the South, Glotka has been ordered to protect the one and only city the Union holds there (sort of a toehold in that part of the world) from the Empire (which holds the rest of that continent) at all costs. The other main characters (with one exception) are all questing across the Western continent....Ardee (whom we do not see much of) is back home in the captial city of the Union.

I am so happy to be getting a Glotka fix!!!!!!!!!! :wee: :wee: :wee: :happyrun:

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:32 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: What can you tell me about Joe Abercrombie?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:50 pm 
Lady Scryer

As with the second book, Amazon is now shipping the third books weeks early. While the American release date is not until deep in September, my copy got to my house last night. I now face the fun decision of which to read first - the new Scalzi, the new Buckell, or the new Abercrombie? I wish more of life's decisions coulds be like that - where every answer is a win. :wink: :lol:

Image Image Image