Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 06 Hugo Award nominees-Awarded 8/27/06
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:01 pm 
Master Pilot

Best Novel
Learning the World by Ken MacLeod (Orbit; Tor)
A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin (Voyager; Bantam Spectra)
Old Man's War by John Scalzi (Tor)
Accelerando by Charles Stross (Ace; Orbit)
Spin by Robert Charles Wilson (Tor)

Best Novella
Burn by James Patrick Kelly
"Magic for Beginners" by Kelly Link (Magic for Beginners, Small Beer Press; F&SF September 2005)
"The Little Goddess" by Ian McDonald (Asimov’s June 2005)
"Identity Theft" by Robert J. Sawyer (Down These Dark Spaceways, SFBC)
"Inside Job" by Connie Willis (Asimov’s January 2005)

Best Novelette
"The Calorie Man" by Paolo Bacigalupi (F&SF October/November 2005)
"Two Hearts" by Peter S. Beagle (F&SF October/November 2005)
"TelePresence" by Michael A. Burstein (Analog July/August 2005)
"I, Robot" by Cory Doctorow (The Infinite Matrix February 15, 2005)
"The King of Where-I-Go" by Howard Waldrop (SCI FICTION December 7, 2005)

Best Short Story
"Seventy-Five Years" by Michael A. Burstein (Analog January/February 2005)
"The Clockwork Atom Bomb" by Dominic Green (Interzone May/June 2005)
"Singing My Sister Down" by Margo Lanagan (Black Juice, Allen & Unwin; Eos)
"Tk’tk’tk" by David D. Levine (Asimov’s March 2005)
"Down Memory Lane" by Mike Resnick (Asimov’s April/May 2005)

Best Related Book
Transformations: The Story of the Science Fiction Magazines from 1950 to 1970 by Mike Ashley (Liverpool)
The SEX Column and Other Misprints by David Langford (Cosmos)
Science Fiction Quotations edited by Gary Westfahl (Yale)
Storyteller: Writing Lessons and More from 27 Years of the Clarion Writers' Workshop by Kate Wilhelm (Small Beer Press)
Soundings: Reviews 1992-1996 by Gary K. Wolfe (Beccon)

Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form
Batman Begins Story by David S. Goyer. Screenplay by Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer. Based on the character created by Bob Kane. Directed by Christopher Nolan. (Warner Bros.)
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe Screenplay by Ann Peacock and Andrew Adamson and Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely. Based on the novel by C.S. Lewis. Directed by Andrew Adamson. (Walt Disney Pictures/Walden Media)
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Screenplay by Steven Kloves. Based on the novel by J.K. Rowling. Directed by Mike Newell. (Warner Bros.)
Serenity Written & Directed by Joss Whedon. (Universal Pictures/Mutant Enemy, Inc.)
Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit Screenplay by Steve Box & Nick Park and Bob Baker and Mark Burton. Directed by Nick Park & Steve Box. (Dreamworks Animation/Aardman Animation)

Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form (seven nominees due to a tie)
Battlestar Galactica "Pegasus" Written by Anne Cofell Saunders.Directed by Michael Rymer.(NBC Universal/British Sky Broadcasting)
Doctor Who "Dalek" Written by Robert Shearman.Directed by Joe Ahearne. (BBC Wales/BBC1)
Doctor Who "The Empty Child" & "The Doctor Dances" Written by Steven Moffat. Directed by James Hawes. (BBC Wales/BBC1)
Doctor Who "Father’s Day" Written by Paul Cornell. Directed by Joe Ahearne. (BBC Wales/BBC1)
Jack-Jack Attack Written & Directed by Brad Bird. (Walt Disney Pictures/Pixar Animation)
Lucas Back in Anger Written by Phil Raines and Ian Sorensen. Directed by Phil Raines. (Reductio Ad Absurdum Productions)
Prix Victor Hugo Awards Ceremony (Opening Speech and Framing Sequences). Written and performed by Paul McAuley and Kim Newman. Directed by Mike & Debby Moir. (Interaction Events)

Best Professional Editor
Ellen Datlow (SCI FICTION and anthologies)
David G. Hartwell (Tor; Year's Best SF)
Stanley Schmidt (Analog Science Fiction and Fact)
Gordon Van Gelder (Fantasy & Science Fiction)
Sheila Williams (Asimov’s)

Best Professional Artist (six nominees due to a tie)
Jim Burns
Bob Eggleton
Donato Giancola
Stephan Martiniere
John Picacio
Michael Whelan
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

Post subject: Re: 06 Hugo Award nominees-Awarded 8/27/06
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:56 pm 
Lady Scryer

As usual, I have not read many of those books. I do try to catch up with them once they start coming out in mass market paperback...

So I guess I will root for Martin's AFFC for best novel, as it is the only one of the group I have read. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:52 pm 
Master Pilot

Since I'm a supporting member for LACON IV, I submitted my on-line ballot yesterday. I'm supporting for LACONIV because this year the Chicago bid for 2008 is up for vote, and really needed to vote since several of the bid group are friends of mine. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Buffy fans Chicago
my livej<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:02 am 
Lady Scryer

It would be very cool if it were to come to Chicago. Anything like within an easy drive would be very welcome.

I am still rooting for GRRM. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:16 am 
Pilot

If he wins, I'd better get my rear in gear and read AFFC. Currently it is fifth down in my review pile, and another one due in the mail to be read before it. I'm glad to see the plot split worked well.

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:50 pm 
Lady Scryer

the 2006 winners:

Hugo and Campbell Awards Winners

Winners of the 2006 Hugo Awards and the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer were announced at a ceremony this evening at L.A. Con IV, the 64th World Science Fiction Convention in Anaheim, California.

NOVEL
Spin, Robert Charles Wilson (Tor)
NOVELLA
"Inside Job", Connie Willis (Asimov's Jan 2005)
NOVELETTE
"Two Hearts", Peter S. Beagle (F&SF Oct/Nov 2005)
SHORT STORY
"Tk'tk'tk", David D. Levine (Asimov's Mar 2005)
RELATED BOOK
Storyteller: Writing Lessons and More from 27 Years of the Clarion Writers' Workshop, Kate Wilhelm (Small Beer Press)
DRAMATIC PRESENTATION: LONG FORM
Serenity (Universal Pictures/Mutant Enemy, Inc.; Written & Directed by Joss Whedon)
DRAMATIC PRESENTATION: SHORT FORM
Doctor Who: "The Empty Child" & "The Doctor Dances" (BBC Wales/BBC1; Directed by James Hawes; Written by Steven Moffat)
PROFESSIONAL EDITOR
David G. Hartwell
PROFESSIONAL ARTIST
Donato Giancola
SEMIPROZINE
Locus, Charles N. Brown, Kirsten Gong-Wong & Liza Groen Trombi, eds.
FANZINE
Plokta, Alison Scott, Steve Davies & Mike Scott, eds.
FAN WRITER
Dave Langford
FAN ARTIST
Frank Wu
John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer [Not a Hugo]

John Scalzi

<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:14 am 
Master Pilot

And not that this really means anything to anyone but me; however, Denver was the site selected for WorldCon 2008. Looks like the SMOFs, BNFs and ole fogey's got their way. FYI, the chicago bid group began their bid campaign in late 2004 and has been working harder than any other group since then. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Buffy fans Chicago
my livej<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:47 am 
Lady Scryer

Well, I certainly care. I would have preferred Chicago.

Has anyone here read any of the nominated novels other than the Martin?

I'm just wondering how the others are? ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:11 am 
The UnTitled

Haha, I've never even heard of any of the nominees except Martin (thanks to the Watch), and the authors of some of the movie-things, Rowling, Lewis and Whedon.

--A ____________________________________

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:45 pm 
Lady Scryer

Yeah, I am a fairly avid reader, and yet year after year I have not even heard of many of the nominees or their authors.

However, I like the title of that one book (Old Man's War) and I think I might try to track that one down along with the winner, Spin.

I think one of the problems might be is that, as new releases, many of these books are only available in hardcover, and many of them might not even be readily available in that form. ******************************************************

<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi at: 10/7/06 11:16 am
</i>

Post subject: 2006 Hugo books
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:15 pm 
Lady Scryer

Googled around and found descriptions of the non-Martin books:

Spin by Robert Charles Wilson
Quote:Tyler Dupree is twelve and his best friends, twins Jason and Diane Lawton, are thirteen when the stars vanish from the sky. The Spin, as it comes to be known, is the after-effect of something, somewhere wrapping the Earth in a barrier that slows down time by a factor of one hundred million.

Scientists learn that the barrier is permeable, and space probes can cross it. The membrane blocks out lethal levels of solar radiation while letting in the right balance of light to allow the seasons to continue, crops to grow and life to be sustained. The problem is that the deceleration of time on Earth means the sun will die in less than fifty standard years—during the friends’ lifetimes.

Jason becomes a scientist and devotes his life to understanding the problem and devising technology that can avert disaster. Diane turns to religion to find her answers. Tyler pours his energy into the practice of medicine, doing what he can to keep death at bay.

Hoping to buy time, the United States launches a program to colonize Mars, where time is still progressing normally. The colonists’ plan to terraform the planet works and the future looks promising…until an identical barrier appears around Mars.

Now, life for Tyler, Diane and Jason—and people everywhere—could spin out of control…. Warning: Explicit language. Jacket art by Jim Burns. (364 pp.) 2005.

Learning the World by Ken MacLeod
Quote:Fourteen millennia from the dawn of the space age, humanity has spread to every star within five hundred light-years of its half-forgotten origin, greening the suns' light with a haze of arboreal habitats. In all those years, the human form has remained close to its ancestral structure and brainpower, though occasional evolutionary experiments have flared up and quickly burned out.

Inside the ancient world ship But the Sky, My Lady! The Sky!, cities have been built and destroyed, their ruins fed into the drive as reaction mass. Generations were born and trained: the free-flyers, for work in the ship's zero-gee biosphere; the flatfooters, for survival in planetary colonies. Outside, the universe around them failed to give signs of other intelligent life…until now.

After a journey of four hundred years, the ship has arrived at the system of Destiny's Star. Fifteen-year-old Atomic Discourse Gale and her cohort are eager to make their future on its only terrestrial world. But then they detect curious electromagnetic emissions that manifest into undeniable images: intelligent aliens are living on their promised world! For as long they remember, humanity has prepared its children for the worst that space could deal them. But nothing has prepared them for what will happen next….

Meanwhile, down on the planet, a young astronomer searches for his system's outermost planet. A moving point of light thrills, then disappoints him. It's only a comet. But there's something very odd about the comet's path: it seems to be heading their way….

Humans are not the only ones for whom the world has changed.

Accelerando by Charles Stross
Quote:
It is the era of the posthuman. Artificial intelligences have surpassed the limits of human intellect. Biotechnological beings have rendered people all but extinct. Molecular nanotechnology runs rampant, replicating and reprogramming at will. Contact with extraterrestrial life grows more imminent with each new day. Struggling to survive and thrive in this accelerated world are three generations of the Macx clan:

• Manfred, a memebroker who makes strangers rich with his free ideas. His mind divided between his physical environment and the Internet, he helps liberate a collective of crustaceans trapped in cyberspace, handles a nasty divorce from his iron-willed wife and becomes a target of the Mafiya-run music-rights industry, all while working on a plan to dismantle Mars and lay the groundwork for singularity—a moment of transcendent intelligence beyond which progress is meaningless.

• His teenage daughter, Amber, who runs away from her crazy mother to seek her fortune in the outer solar system as an indentured astronaut. Though she lacks genetic enhancements, her neural augments make her as alien to her parents' generation as humans are to the alien traders she meets around the brown dwarf Hyundai—creatures who are both more and less than they seem.

• Amber's son, Sirhan, an historian who has lived hundreds of childhoods, recording every one, and who has placed his reproductive organs on hold till he needs them. Sirhan's master project: a comprehensive work of posthuman history. No mean feat, when people can split their personalities at random and spend years dead only to revive….

• And then there's Manfred's cat, Aineko. Originally a robotic toy and later Amber's wisecracking companion, it upgrades progressively until it advances beyond human comprehension, with designs of its own….

An ideological tour de force, Accelerando is destined to stand beside Neuromancer and Snow Crash as one of the great modern works of science fiction. (390 pp.)

Old Man's War by John Scalzi
Quote:
John Perry did two things on his 75th birthday. First he visited his wife’s grave. Then he joined the Colonial Defense Force, the military branch of the interplanetary Colonial Union.

Yes, humanity has finally made it out to interstellar space. But under the auspices of the CU, which holds a monopoly on spaceships capable of FTL travel, folks are only allowed off-planet if they enlist or become colonists. Unfortunately, planets fit for human habitation are few, and alien races that are willing to fight us for them are many. Far from Earth, the Colony Wars have gone on for decades. And only seniors can enlist, because the CDF wants people with a lifetime of experience. In return, they’re somehow made young again, and—if they survive—they get a new life on a new world, never to return to Earth.

Faced with increasing decrepitude and a useless death from old age, John Perry thinks it’s a sweet deal. So he’s taken off Earth to serve two years at the front, but he doesn’t have the vaguest idea what he’s getting into. He doesn’t dream that his old body will be completely replaced with a new young body that is better than human. That there are an awful lot of alien species out there with a taste for human meat. That after a year of fighting space octopi and sentient pteradactyls and one-inch-high humanoids, he’ll feel like he’s become a soulless killing machine. And that the remedy will be to fall in love again, with someone who seems terribly familiar…. Warning: Explicit language. Jacket art by Donato Giancola. (316 pp.) 2005.

All of these descriptions are from the Science Fiction BooK Club website
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: 2006 Hugo books
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:41 am 
Lady Scryer

OK. I have now read all five.

A Feast For Crows just doesn't fit in with the other four books. It is in the middle (maybe/sort of??) of a huge fantasy series. The others are all stand alone science fiction stories (though the authors could definately write other stories in those universes).

With the exception of the Stross book, I greatly enjoyed all five books. And the Stross book was still very well written, I just did not enjoy that particular story. I would certainly be open to reading other books by that author!

While I really liked the McLeod and Wilson books, I completely fell in love with Scalzi's Old Man's War. It is so good that I could see it being considered a classic someday (if enough people hear about/read it). ******************************************************

<i></i>