[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Top Ten Sci-Fi Authors

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Top Ten Sci-Fi Authors
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:09 am 
Master Pilot

Duchess - David Brin ? Uplift War was a great series. I smoke Mc's, not Crack<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 10:28 am 
Pilot

Hi ..im just surfing around and found you all..pax
my personal top ten are

Asimov..my first love
Robert Heinlein..his politics no ..his writing yes
Arthur C Clarke..a true visionary
Rodger Zelazney...Lord of Light and Doorways In The Sand great books
Peter Hamilton..Nights Dawn trilogy wow
Alastair Reynolds ..Chasm City etc a rising star
Neil Stephenson...will write more great books
Stephen Donaldson..i just love the Gap series
Iain Banks..any one for Culture
EE(Doc)Smith..im a sucker for Space Opera

i dont limit myself though and will read anything by any author

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 3:12 pm 
Master Pilot

Welcome 2 the board Wildfire! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Post subject: Top ten Sci-Fi authors
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:49 pm 
Pilot

hey i agree with all the those hey but you cant forget
L Ron HUbbard man that dude rocks <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Top ten Sci-Fi authors
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 12:24 am 
Master Pilot

David Zindell
Walter Jon Williams
Bruce Sterling
Rudy Rucker
Michael Swanwick
William Gibson
Clifford D. Simak
Roger Zelazny
Arthur C. Clarke
H. G. Wells

<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:01 pm 
Pilot

I like jack vance's really dry sense of humour, btw is he still alive? he must be about 99 by now!

I can't believe no one has mentioned peter f hamilton, his Night's Dawn trilogy is brilliant, i really reccomend them, hes got some really good hard science fiction (apparantly he had a subscription to new scientist) and he has really mature and realistic characters, it's pretty epic. He is british maybe thats why all you seppos aint heard of him!!! <i>Edited by: mhoram6910 at: 6/26/03 5:16 pm
</i>

Post subject: 5
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:12 pm 
Pilot

sorry, wildfire did mention him, my bad <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:32 pm 
Master Pilot

Jack Vance is still alive and living in Hobbs New Mexico, he was at our Bubonicon last year with George R. R. Martin. This board originates o/o NM, btw! I'm, suddenly, very interested in Hamilton (want 2 start a topic on him?), so thanks guys! (please watch your language, thanks! ) And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:27 pm 
Master Pilot

Ok, so I'm at Waldenbooks yesterday (I know, I know... I was at a mall and it's the only bookstore there). I go to pay for a magazine and the woman (mid-20s) behind the counter asks if I found everything alright. "Well," I say, "I was a little disappointed to find that you don't have a single book by Gene Wolfe."

"Who's that?"

"One of the greatest sci-fi authors of all time."

"I read a lot of science fiction," she says haughtily, "And I've never heard of him. Is he the greatest in your opinion, or by the books he's sold, or what?"

"Well, I'm not sure about the sales figures..."

"Ah, see!"

"BUT, there was a recent list put out by those in the know, and he was at about number six or so, so yeah, I suppose he's pretty good."

"Hmm. That's strange that I've never heard of him."

"Yeah, it is," I say, as I finish paying for my stuff and leave. Sheesh.
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:45 am 
Master Pilot

Ha! I'm pretty sure she was just transferred there from their Moscow, Idaho store.

I was in Waldenbooks a few weeks ago and the lady asked me if I needed help finding anything. I said, "I couldn't find Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon in either the classic literature or science fiction sections - I guess that means you're out of stock, huh?"

To which she replied, "Uh ... you mean Thomas Paine?"

I feel that I showed remarkable restraint by NOT saying, "Yes, that's right, Thomas Paine, colonial pamphleteer and master of post-modern science fiction ..."

Times that try men's souls indeed. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:03 am 
Master Pilot

And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/6/03 5:15 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:00 pm 
Master Pilot

Not too big on the Common Sense factor, eh? ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:07 pm 
Pilot

Sylvanus you should have asked for her phone number mate, you were in! <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:45 pm 
Master Pilot

LOL What do you expect from Waldenbooks? I hate that place! Further up, and further in!

Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage!- The Smashing Pumpkins <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:12 pm 
Master Pilot

Ha ha, Haig. Hellfire would kill me!

Yeah, I don't think I've bought anything from Waldenbooks in years. They're basically just a gigantic airport bookstore. I don't understand how they're still in business competing against B&N and Borders. ________________