Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Jane Yolen
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:19 am 
Master Pilot

Found an interview with author Jane Yolen

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8917.../newsweek/ taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Jane Yolen
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:38 am 
Lady Scryer

The link doesn't like me -- but I think Jane Yolen, primarily known for children's books, is one of most underrated and unknown sf&f writers out there. Her updating of the classic fairy tale Briar Rose, rewritten for grownups and set during the Nazi Holocaust is enough to rip anyone's guts out.

Quote:
BRIAR ROSE
Tor Books 1992
ISBN# 0-312-85135-9 Tor hardcover
ISBN# 0-812-55862-6 Tor Teen paperback
Published originally for adults.

The idea for an adult novel on the subject of the Holocaust came to me when I was watching the documentary "Shoah" in which the concentration camp Chelmno was described. It was a camp in a castle. Castle, barbed wire, and the gassing of innocent folk. It suggested the fairy tale "Sleeping Beauty" in a horrible way. Yet I had recently done a YA novel about the Holocaust--"The Devil's Arithmetic"--and wasn't eager to visit that awful research again. But when I had lunch with Terri Windling, the editor of a series of adult novels all based around folk tales, I told her about this camp. She urged me to write the book. The very first printing had, in the ad cards, my name as Jan Yolen. Next printing it was corrected. There are English and Danish editions. The book was a Nebula nominee and won the 1993 Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Adult Literature. It was a nominee for the 1994-6 South Carolina Junior Book Award. It is taught as a core book in many Holocaust courses and has been under option for the movies many times.

I cannot recommend that book enough! ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>