Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Jack Vance
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:39 am 
Lady Scryer

Tonight I started reading a five book science fiction sseries by Jack Vance, collectively called The Demon Princes. The books are entitiled:
The Star King
The Killing Machine
The Palace of Love
The Face
The Book of Dreams

Jack Vance started this series in 1964 and published the last book in it in 1981. So that is some food for thought for the people who complain all the time about George RR Martin and how slowly he is working on ASOIAF.

The series tells the story of a man named Kirth Gersen. When he was a child the settlement he was living in was destroyed and all of the people but two carried off into slavery. Those two were Kirth and his grandfather, who were well hidden.

The raid had been carried out by five of the greatest crime lords known in the galaxy -- five men known as the Demon Princes. Kirth is taken to Earth and various other planets to learn all sorts of martial arts and weapon skills, and set loose by his grandfather as a tool of vengeance against the crime lords...

The Star King is suprising me with its grittiness, given it was published way back in 1964. So far its an enjoyable, if dark, read. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post subject: Jack Vance, The Demon Princes
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:10 am 
Lady Scryer

There seems to be a problem with this thread, and I do not know if the missing posts can ever be recaptured.

However, this morning, I finished the last book in the five book Demon Princes series. I found it to be an interesting and worthwhile read. The five galactic crime lords (the demon princes) were all individually crafted, as was the hunt for each. Even though a great many years took place between the publication of the first book (in 1964) and the last (in the 1980's), they flowed well together.

The various planets were interesting, as were the cultures, food, and music depicted. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>