[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Assimov-Foundation

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Foundation
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 10:25 pm 
Pilot

I didn't know it was even made into a movie. It would be quite hard to capture the feeling of the movie I would think.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:40 pm 
Master Pilot

It's interesting in itself, but really nothing @ all like the book--the concept of the coming darkness is cool and the 2 main characters r cool but 1 cult vs the other is the only real conflict we get and the rest is real cheesy Raiders of the Lost Ark ripoff... There was so much going on in the story that even though the cults and churches had a big underlying influence--trying 2 find ways 2 survive and the "dipolmatic intrigue" of the cocktail party like atmosphere (found no where in the movie, btw) was what I really enjoyed... I quickly flushed the whole book from my mind in the beginning, King, and just pretended it was a completely dif story...maybe that's y it was cooler 2 me than 2 u...The scenes w/William Hurt were about the truest 2 the book--most of the other scenes in the movie I don't really even remember being in the book, novella, what have u... The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 3:38 am 
Master Pilot

HTML Comments are not allowed Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 3/28/04 9:00 am
</i>

Post subject: Just great
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:57 pm 
My answer

to Asimov?

GREAT <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Just great
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:36 am 
Master Pilot

It's a good thing u didn't make ur name Ahir-ass Hangar, then I'd really b insulted! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Assimov-Foundation
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:12 am 
Master Pilot

OK, since this thread seems to be on comments to Asimov in general. Well, for my class we are reading The Gods Themselves. Which lots of you seem to like.

Well, to be little contrarian, but...What could he have been thinking about? The whole middle section, sheeesh. OK, I get it melting is sex between the Rational, Parental, and the Emotional. But they go on, on , and on, and on and on about it. yak, yak, yak, yak.. SHUT UP!! I think I would have expected more. Did this really need a whole book, the Free Electron Pump and put in context of the 1970s "Energy crisis" (well I remember cause I was there). OK...and there will be no "Free Electron Pumps" with fixes from alternate universes, OK I get that, too.

Maybe I am being to hard on this. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

Post subject: Asimov
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:20 am 
Pilot

TW, I don't think you're being too hard. I think Asimov was a genius, but I've never really understood all the fuss about The Gods Themselves.

He wrote two of the greatest series in SF history, and then combined them with the brilliant Prelude to Foundation.

Whiff of Death & The End of Eternity are both great SF mysteries.
Bicentennial Man is great.
The Azazel stories are great.
And then there's my personal favourite, Murder at the ABA.

There's a lot of Asimov out there I prefer to The Gods Themselves.

Adios
Rockin' & in The Land of Oz

<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Asimov
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:34 am 
Pilot

My favourite Asmiov has to be The Caves of Steel. I prefer his robotic dectective series to Foundation, and think Caves is the best of these. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Asimov (Gods Themselves, funny story)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:48 pm 
Master Pilot

My class instructor in addition to her academic interest in SF has been a fan for many years, too. And has accumulated some amusing anecdotes, and here is one about the novel The Gods Themselves

Seemed Robert Silverberg at a SF Con made the comment that fans were very scientifically sophisticated and were to sophisticated and aware to accept an SF story that contained a complete scientific implausibility, for example, the tungsten/plutonium 186 circumstance that forms one of the cornerstones of the novel.

Poor, Bob Silverberg his statements do have a way of haunting him in a sorta vicous manner. Example, his statements regarding the identity of the author James Tiptree, Jr. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i>Edited by: taraswizard at: 4/1/04 10:49 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: Assimov-Foundation
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:08 am 
Lady Scryer

One of the great things about the Foundation trilogy is the scope of time. Decades/centuries go by, with math predicting the course of billions of human lives. Until a certain mutant comes along anyway. :wink: 8)

Given this day and age where thousand plus page long books are all the rage in the science fiction/fantasy genre, it is amazing to me how much story and plot the old time masters like Asimov, Clarke, and Zelazny could pack into a "mere" 200-300 pages. :lol:

Image Image Image