Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Pattern Recognition
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:06 am 
Pilot

The only Gibson book I've read is Idoru. It was a good read--cool imagery, nice style--but have been told that it's not exactly his best effort. Pattern Recognition sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if I should read that one next or start with something like Neuromancer or another earlier book. Since I don't have alot of time to do the things I really love (reading for one) is there one book that is the definitive Gibson? At least one that someone would reccomend over any other?

<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:08 am 
Master Pilot

I'd say Neuromancer is considered the definitive Gibson book, as well as the definitive cyberpunk novel, so that's a good place to start. Only problem is that it will probably feel pretty dated by now, and it was so influential that, ironically, it might not seem very original (though it was an absolute bombshell 20 years ago). In that sense, Pattern Recognition might give a better sense of Gibson's talent.

Another possibility is the short story collection, Burning Chrome (my personal fave) which is an excellent overview of his early work, and includes a foreword by Bruce Sterling to provide some historical perspective.

The series breakdown like this:

The Sprawl:
Burning Chrome (short fiction; some early Sprawl stories)
Neuromancer
Count Zero
Mona Lisa Overdrive

Virtual Light Trilogy:
Virtual Light
Idoru
All Tomorrow's Parties

Then there's his "steampunk" collaboration with Bruce Sterling, The Difference Engine, and the newest book Pattern Recognition. Both are stand-alone novels (Neuromancer and Virtual Light can be read alone, too).

Neuromancer is the one I'd recommend, I guess, though they're all pretty darn good, really. Happy reading. ******************

To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice ...<i>Edited by: AlphSeeker  at: 2/10/04 11:15 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:27 pm 
Pilot

Sounds good. I think I'll start with the short story collection to start. Thanks for the info!! <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:39 pm 
Lady Scryer

I finally read Neuromancer a few days ago...
It blew my mind when I realized that book had been written a couple of decades before the Matrix movies came out...I can see how it revolutionized science fiction and influenced who knows how many books and movies?
It was very well written, with an interesting plot...Gibson is obviously a very gifted writer...
The only thing for me, is that I am partial to character driven books, with characters I can really like and stick my teeth into, and I wasn't able to warm up to the characters in the book...would have been a perfect read for me if I could have liked just one character...the characters were cool, just not likeable for me...
However, other than this small complaint, I can definately see why this book is considered to be a classic work of the genre. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>