Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Saga of Seven Suns
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:01 am 
Pilot

New Sci-fi space opera style series from Kevin J. Anderson.

Volume 1: Hidden Empire came out last year and Volume 2: A Forest of Stars is due out around July/August of this year.

He's released the titles of the next 3 volumes and is already working on drafts of book 3.

Anderson seems to get a lot of flack from Dune fans for writing the Dune Prequels with Brian Herbert, but I find his stuff to be smooth and enjoyable enough. If you're bored and looking to get into a multi-volume sci-fi series, you might want to give this one a try. Just don't go into it expecting a literary masterpiece.

More information can be found at Anderson's site. The one-eyed view of our universe says you must not look far afield for problems. Such problems may never arrive. Instead, tend to the wolf within your fences. The packs ranging outside may not even exist. - The Azhar Book; Shamra I:4 (Frank Herbert's <i>Children of Dune</i>)<i></i>

Post subject: Re: The Saga of Seven Suns
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:44 am 
Master Pilot

I don't care how unpopular the opinion is, I've thoroughly enjoyed the Dune prequels!

I also read the first Jedi Academy trilogy by him. That was decent enough. I'm just not a big fan of Star Wars books in general. But he had a couple of good things going there. ______________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:54 am 
Lady Scryer

The only thing I've read by Anderson is his Jedi Academy Trilogy, and I enjoyed them. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:05 pm 
Pilot

Volume 1: Hidden Empire should be out in mass market paperback now and Volume 2: A Forest of Stars is out in hardcover.

I'm about 300 or so pages into A Forest of Stars. Volume 2 picks up 5 years after volume 1 ends. Several plot threads continue to develop with returning characters from volume 1 and a few new faces.

The Hydrogues have begun scouting planets for one of their ancient enemies, the Verdani, looking to finish an ancient war. Humans and Ildirans are just nats to be swatted.

The Wentals finally make an appearance, they are a water-based sentient species that fought the Hydrogues 10,000 years ago. Are they the allies the humans need to battle the Hydrogues or are they just another powerful species looking to dominate the galaxy?

Anderson has the titles up to Volume 5 listed on his website now and in an interview stated that this would be a 6 or 7 volume series. Turning out one volume a year. <i></i>