[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Do you know this book?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Do you know this book?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:54 am 
Master Pilot

Post subject: Re: Do you know this book?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 4:19 am 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 10:07 am 
Master Pilot

<b> Thanks for replying, Danlo. I didn't go too much farther so that I wouldn't be a spoiler, but it appears that I may go on and answer your questions the best I can:
I don't remember any of the characters' names, but as the main dangers, I remember that there were many: flora and fauna attacking the group mostly; the group thought it strange that there were so many dangers, but they didn't realize that the ones who sent them made a mistake (at first) and just considered it training. The group didn't become a different sort of race: there no aliens on the planet (save themselves). The group finally accepted their fate, married and had children, but it was not a matter of generations. They were rescued, and a heartbreaking scene insued in which the leader wanted them to all stay together when they got back home.
[Very much like the Twilight Zone episode in which a group of travelers got stranded on a planet, had many children, were finally rescued, but the leader wanted them to all stay together, and finally stayed on the planet by himself when the others left. I believe James Whitmore played the character.]
It is an adult sci-fi novel. It was not a series of books (as far as I know), and I don't think it was published in a magazine; too long, I think, but it was a long time ago.
If you've ever read <i> Midworld</i> by Alan Dean Foster, you might get an idea of how many dangers they faced.
Wish I knew the author; it would certainly make this an easier chore. I knew there was probably little hope in getting the title or author, but I figured, "What the heck."
Thanks for the help, Danlo. Isn't it an interesting premise? </b> Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:40 pm 
Master Pilot

King Theoden, you should try asking your question in the scifi, fantasy and horror thread of readerville.com. There are many knowledgeable readers among that group, and they were able to name a book that I had read and couldn't remember the name of, after I gave them a description of the plot.

Go the Readerville.com and click on the Forum. Click on Genres, Styles, Formats and Types under Reading Discussions. Then, click on Science fiction, fantasy and horror books worth reading or worth avoiding. Here is the link:

readerville.com/WebX?14@1....eea25a2/0

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 2:03 pm 
Master Pilot

<b> Thanks, MMM! However; I am obviously too stupid to figure out how to make a new post.
I went; I registered; but I did not conquor. I looked everywhere and clicked on a lot of options, but never saw a chance to reply or make a new post.
Maybe you could enlighten me? </b> Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 2:37 pm 
Master Pilot

Along w/what MsM said King try posting a message @ AllSci-fi.com as well--just click the above banner... Mathematics is a game. It's pieces are the axioms we create, and it's rules our logic. That mathematics is occasionally useful to mechanics and pilots is accidental -Mahavira Lal, third Lord Cantor<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 4:39 pm 
Master Pilot

King: Once you are in the Science fiction, fantasy, horror thread of Readerville, scroll a little to just below the description of the thread topic.

You will see a line of words, which are options of where to read in the thread (this line of words also is displayed towards the bottom of each page of posts):

FIRST | PREVIOUS | NEXT | LAST || RECENT

Click on LAST.

Scroll down, almost to the bottom of the page, till you see the following message:

<b><i>Quote:</i></b> Compose your message in the box below, then click the "post message" button. You can use basic html tags or quick-edit within your post. Leave a blank line to start a new paragraph. Type <br> anyplace you want a single line break.

The box in which you post your message is right below that (sorry to state the obvious. ). Then you can post your message.

Hope this is clear.

Good luck!

The setup <i> is</i> a little different than other forums, but it is quite convenient once you get used to it. When you log in, the forum always takes you to the last place you read, and you can bookmark posts you want to go back to.

~MsMary~
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i>Edited by: MsMaryMalone  at: 7/1/02 9:43:39 am
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:46 pm 
Master Pilot

<b> Thanks, MMM! I guess that <i> FIRST | PREVIOUS | NEXT | LAST || RECENT</i> threw me a little (a lot). I posted the question today and will check it tomorrow. Thanks again. </b>
Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 9:58 pm 
Master Pilot

<b> I have so many people to thank! MMM for guiding me to that forum; Danlo, for having THIS forum and for guessing that it was Heinlein; and the two people at the other forum who recognized the title and Heinlein immediately!
I've placed a bid on a paperback version on EBAY that ends soon. I may be reading this next week! (I hope it's as good as I remember it).
Thanks again! </b> Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:13 pm 
Master Pilot

So WHAT is the name of the book silly! We're all dying 2 kno!!! Mathematics is a game. It's pieces are the axioms we create, and it's rules our logic. That mathematics is occasionally useful to mechanics and pilots is accidental -Mahavira Lal, third Lord Cantor<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:46 pm 
Master Pilot

You'll just have to go to Readerville and find out, danlo.

And you're welcome, King...I waved at you over there, go and see.
~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i>Edited by: MsMaryMalone  at: 7/2/02 3:47:37 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:50 pm 
Master Pilot

oh pooh!<i> Tunnel in the Sky</i>! That was 1 of the first Sci-Fis I ever read!..but I thought the Ice Age had suspended it in a cryogenic state! I barely remember it--prehaps the same Ice Age did that 2 my brain, as well Mathematics is a game. It's pieces are the axioms we create, and it's rules our logic. That mathematics is occasionally useful to mechanics and pilots is accidental -Mahavira Lal, third Lord Cantor<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/2/02 3:54:38 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:24 am 
Master Pilot

<b> Well, I am going to enjoy reading it again, after all these years. Hope it still has the same impact. I will go and look at your wave, MMM. Thanks again. I won the bid on the paperback on EBAY and have already paid for it. Should be in the mail coming to bush manor tomorrow. So strange, but there was a HC copy for $20 that was falling apart (I bought the $2.75 paperback), but the HC had an almost identical summary that I gave here. Maybe my short term memory is shot, but the long term is there to stay, I guess. I am really excited about reading it again. If nothing, else, it'll be nostalgic. I think the premise is still an excellent one. </b> Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 4:49 am 
Pilot

Damn Im to late I knew the exact title of that book from the first part of your summary dang you. It was the first Heinlein my dad ever gave me to read...like 7 or 8 or was it 9 years ago who knows.. But anyway I just found all my dads heinlein paperbacks and came across that one and remembered the book then I came here dang lol.... Asshai by the Shadow a new board, come discuss the darker side of ASoIaF.<i></i>