Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Kiln People--my Chiropractor met David Brin!!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:56 pm 
Master Pilot

I kno Duchess is on the verge of reading this book, and I'm sorta interested 2. The Kiln People was just nominated 4 the Arthur C. Clarke Award, so I suppose, like everything else he's ever written it's very good.

Tamara came back from our Chiropractor, Dr. George, the other day and told this story: the Dr. and Dr. Brin sat next 2 each other on a plane from Dallas 2 Albq! Dr. Brin was going on 2 LA...Dr. George said, "U wrote The Postman right?" He also mentioned he had a patient who ran a Sci-Fi/Fantasy website and loved his writting...So apparently I've got alot of "promo" goodies waiting 4 me on my next visit!!!

I'm out of my mind w/xcitement!

ooooh! My aching back! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/4/03 12:31 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: The Kiln People--my Chiropractor met David Brin!!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:14 pm 
Lady Scryer

That sounds really cool Danlo!!!! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/18/03 6:14 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: The Kiln People--my Chiropractor met David Brin!!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 8:11 pm 
Master Pilot

I kno, I'll have 2 break down and buy a scanner just so I can share them w/y'all! (hey ur big ol' av just ditched my artwork! ) And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/4/03 12:33 pm
</i>

Post subject: huh?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:08 am 
Lady Scryer

I'm afraid that I don't understand. What did my av do?? <i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/18/03 6:15 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: huh?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:34 am 
Master Pilot

It's size put my lil' emotioncons rendering and 2 lines instead of 1, it so SO pretty b4... (just teasin' ) And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/4/03 12:32 pm
</i>

Post subject: Kiln People
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:24 pm 
Lady Scryer

Well, I tried typing this in once, and it just disappeared into thin air, so let me try again!!

Here is the book description from inside the front cover flap:

Quote:In a perilous future, disposable duplicate bodies fullfill very citizen's legal and illicit whim. Life as a 24-hour "ditto" is cheap, as Albert Morris knows. A brash investigator with a knack for trouble, he's sent plenty of clay duplicates into deadly peril, then "inloaded" memories from copies that were shot, crushed, drowned...all part of a day's work. But when Morris tackles a ring of crooks making bootleg copies of a famous actress, he trips into a secret so explosive it incites open warfare on the streets of Dittotown. Professor Maharal, a brilliant researcher, has vanished on the verge of a revolutionary breakthrough in the art of people-xeroxing. Maharal's daughter thinks he's been kidnapped, and the silvery copy of a mysterious trillionaire offers lavish rewards for locating Maharal - before awesome power falls into the wrong hands. To uncover the truth, Morris sends one ditto after another...then his irreplaceable organic self...into a high-tech, nightmare world of "ghosts" and golems where nothing - and no one - is what they seem, memory itself is suspect, and the line between life and death may no longer exist.

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/18/03 6:20 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Kiln People
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 2:31 am 
Lady Scryer

heh. Started reading this tonight and so far, in the first couple of chapters its a cross between science fiction and detective film noire. Shows a lot of promise!
Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/18/03 6:18 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 1:09 pm 
Master Pilot

I saw Dr. George yesterday--and while he left Dr. Brin's promo stuff @ home he promised 2 bring it 4 next time. He did say that David was a warm, engaging person and that he was on a lecture circuit talking about freedom of information. I remarked that that's what his book The Transparent Society is about. I was given one VERY interesting tidbit: when they we discussing the Postman Brin appeared not happy @ all about the movie version--but--(I never knew this) the new movie The Core was supposed 2 based on his great book, Earth, and again he said they butchered it byond recognition... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited. Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 3:04 pm 
Lady Scryer

Thanks, Danlo, I didn't know that the Core was based on one of his books, either!! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 12:10 am 
Lady Scryer

I'm getting a kick out of this book. Right now there are four of the main character running around and getting into all sorts of trouble. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Post subject: Kiln People
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 10:50 pm 
Lady Scryer

This is a pretty deep book -- filled with questions about souls and human conciousness.
<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/18/03 6:19 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 6:01 am 
Lady Scryer

Has some cool twists at the end! I can't talk about them, though 'cause they'll be too spoily! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Post subject: I got the goods!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 3:52 am 
Master Pilot

Tamara just came back from Dr. George and delivered the goods--I am now in posession of 3 bookmarkers/stickers. 2 r Kiln People squares w/Dr. Brin's name on top and all three r autographed, real autographs, not copies, The third 1 is from a book in progress that he coauthored w/Scott Hampton called The Life Eaters, an original graphic novel. Brin's website doesn't even list this book, so I assume it's in progress. The photo/cover appears 2 have a huge viking holding a broadaxe and a smaller illustration of Hitler on the lower righthand side. I would assume from the photo that this book will b a nonfiction.

According 2 the website Dr. Brin will b at Torcon, Toronto, in July... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Post subject: Re: I got the goods!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 5:31 am 
Lady Scryer

Between David Brin and George R.R. Martin, that will be one heckuva conference!! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/18/03 6:21 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: I got the goods!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:21 pm 
Master Pilot

U do know that The Kiln People is 1 of the 5 finalists nominated 4 the Hugo Award that will b handed out at WorldCon in Toronto about a month from now, right? And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>