[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Robert Charles Wilson - Spin (rescued)

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Robert Charles Wilson - Spin (rescued)
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:44 am 
Lady Scryer

originally statred by danlo:
03 Aug 2006 14:53 Post subject: George RAVES about Robert Charles Wilson's SPIN!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a neat little section in the official George R. R. Martin forum where he reviews books. Along with his raves for Walter Jon William's Dread Empire series and Daniel Abraham's newest he simply LOVES Robert Charles Wilson. The title caught my eye when I posted this year Hugo nominees, but after reading this I must get my hands on this book!

Quote:Robert Charles Wilson's SPIN (Tor, 2005). is one of the finalists for this year's Hugo Award in the Best Novel category (sometimes called the Big One, even though all Hugos are of course equal). It would hard to conceive of any novel with an opening as powerful as this one. One night, in the not too distant future, all the stars disappear from the sky all over the world... and if that doesn't tweak your old sensawonder, you don't have any business reading SF. Some will categorize this as a "hard SF" novel, a novel of ideas, and Wilson does indeed deliver on that score. Unlike a lot of hard SF, however, this is also a moving novel of character, a love story of sorts. The cosmic mysteries of the Spin and the dreams and desires of the three central characters share the stage as eons pass, races evolve, and the sun itself grows old. Wilson's elegant, translucent prose is a joy to read. SPIN would be a credit to the Hugo ballot in any year, and would make a worthy winner. *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool)

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 03 Aug 2006 18:57 Post subject: Re: George RAVES about Robert Charles Wilson's SPIN!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That does sound very good. I will have to keep an eye out for that one! ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

The UnTitled

Posted: 03 Aug 2006 23:17 Post subject: SPIN

*sigh* So many books, so little time and money.

--A ____________________________________

"We have become a society in which the Artist is regarded as
A self-indulgent superfluity, and the person who juggles stocks and shares
Is an essential part of the economy. Something is Wrong" -Pam Brown.

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 04 Aug 2006 09:29 Post subject: Re: SPIN

Pretty humbling review as George is also nominated for A Feast For Crows... *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool)

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 27 Nov 2006 23:47 Post subject: Wilson's Spin

In my quest to read this year's Hugo nominees, I just finished the last of the five novels - [i]Spin[/i.]

I really did think it was a wonderful novel. Though I did like Scalzi's Old Man's better.

Spin told the story of the lives of three kids from the time when aliens sealed off the Earth from the rest of the universe in a big time bubble. Millions/billions of year go by in the outside universe in the span of one human life on Earth.

One of the kids, inspired and awed by the spin, becomes a scientist, and devotes his being to figuring out what is going on and who or what has caused Spin. One of the kids turns to religion. The third kid tries to be as calm as can be about the whole thing, and becomes a doctor.

Good, meaty book. Very enjoyable.

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 01 May 2007 23:32 Post subject:

I have heard a rumor that the author is writing a sequel to Spin, which will be called Axis.

I have mixed feelings about it.

I enjoyed the original, and thought it was a fairly complete story in its own right. Sure, there were some loose threads - but I actually liked them being loose, and enjoyed imagining what would happen to the characters next in such potentially interesting circumstnaces and locations.

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 08 Aug 2007 11:01 Post subject:

I just read my first review of Axis, the sequel to Spin.

I am feeling a lot better about the sequel now - the reviewer made it sound like Wilson is telling a new story with new characters in a different setting.

I can deal with that.

Image Image Image