[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - SF announcements,links, cons, etc. (rescued)

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: SF announcements,links, cons, etc. (rescued)
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:29 am 
Lady Scryer

originally started by danlo:
Posted: 29 May 2002 10:33 Post subject: Sci-Fi gen messages--links--conventions--etc..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just found and became a member of Orion's Arm a massively cool hard sci-fi, Universe building, collective story writting, rpging, Transhumanist site--1 of the most ambitious sites I've seen in a while, go 2:groups.yahoo.com/group/orions_arm... In the mean time feel free 2 list any general Sci-Fi related announcement on this thread. Like book signings, conventions, Sci-Fi related links-or any appropriate message that relates 2 Sci-Fi. How far do you fall Pilot?<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 5/29/02 9:09:57 am
</i>

MsMary
Master Pilot

Posted: 30 May 2002 00:52 Post subject: Endercon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since you mentioned it, Foamy, my son, and I will be at Endercon this July 4th weekend, in Orem, Utah.

This convention is being put on by the science fiction writer Orson Scott Card, author of Ender's Game and other fine books and short stories. It should be a lot of fun.

You can find out more about it here:

www.endercon.com/

You can also check out OSC's website:

hatrack.com/

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"

MsMary
Master Pilot

Posted: 15 Jul 2002 16:05 Post subject: Re: Endercon

Well, I went to Endercon...and it was a great experience!

I loved meeting Orson Scott Card and his wife, Kristine. And it was great meeting all the OSC and Ender's Game fans that I have gotten to know over the past two years at the Hatrack.com and PhiloticWeb.net forums. We even had a Hatracker local to the convention site organize a bbq prior to the con - of course Foamy and I were very late cause we were waiting on line to have our books autographed by OSC. But we still had a great time!

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 15 Jul 2002 17:13 Post subject: Re: Endercon

Cool, very cool it must have been awesome! Mathematics is a game. It's pieces are the axioms we create, and it's rules our logic. That mathematics is occasionally useful to mechanics and pilots is accidental -Mahavira Lal, third Lord Cantor

Foamfollower1013
Master Pilot

Posted: 16 Jul 2002 23:15 Post subject: Re: Endercon

It was awesome. I had such a great time. I loved spending time with all my Hatrack friends. It was funny - most of us had never met before in real life, but we were talking to each other like we'd been friends for years. The only bad part was when it ended.

~Foamy~

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 15 Aug 2002 18:26 Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi gen messages--links--conventions--etc..

As I've said in other threads we have alot of great Sci-Fi and Fantasy authors in New Mexico. We also have cool little convention every year called Bubonicon in August. Last year S. R. Donaldson attended, un42nately I couldn't make it--This year George R. R. Martin (NM) and Walter Jon Williams (NM) are attending along w/; Ester Friesner (guest of honor who wrote MIB2 and Demon Blues), Spider and Jeanne Robinson, Daniel Abraham, Doug Beason, Nancy Varian Berbich, Yvonne Coats (NM), Terry England (NM), Jane Lindskold (NM), Vic Millan (NM), Pati Nagle (NM), Scott Phillips, John Maddox Roberts, S. M. Stirling (NM), Fred Saberhagen (NM), L. Neil Smith, Melinda Snodgrass (writter and story editor of STNG who lives in Albuquerque)and Robert E. Vardeman (NM). Tho the list, anually, tends 2 b more Sci-Fi than Fantasy, Smith, Saberhagen, Vardeman, The Robinsons and Stirling being the most recognizable Sci-Fi writters--Millan, England and Martin are great Fantasy author additions, and Saberhagen gets in2 Fantasy a bit w/his swords & vampire series...Lindskold and Snodgrass are some of the folks Martin has acknowledged in his A Song of Ice and Fire series. It's Aug 23-25:bubonicon.home.att.net/ Fall Far and Well Pilots!Edited by: danlo60 at: 4/12/04 9:25 am

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 24 Aug 2002 11:49 Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi gen messages--links--conventions--etc..

C the G. R. R. Martin general thread 4 my my review/take on his reading at Bubonicon. It was awesome!! The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities.

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 27 Sep 2002 19:37 Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi gen messages--links--conventions--etc..

Ive often thought about meeting people Ive "met" on the internet...I dont think itll happen unless Danlos Elohimfest gets off the ground. Further up, and further in!

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 27 Sep 2002 20:54 Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi gen messages--links--conventions--etc..

U could help me w/it dammit!!! The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities.

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 30 Sep 2002 15:30 Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi gen messages--links--conventions--etc..

LOL, whatever I can do from such a long distance...Ill he happy to do. Further up, and further in!

lairusi
Pilot

Posted: 19 Oct 2002 09:54 Post subject: Star Trek

www.startrek.com

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 19 Oct 2002 10:08 Post subject: Re: Star Trek

Welcome Lairusi (sp?)! The planet he saw appeared to have continents that looked surprisingly like Northern Europe and North America. Ransom realized it was Earth he was seeing-Thulcandra, the Silent Planet

Skywier
Master Pilot

Posted: 03 Jan 2003 02:36 Post subject: Re: Star Trek

welcome L too!!

whatever I can do to assist with the waymeet .. I am happy to!! remembering that I am from a much bigger distance again!! 'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

'health and healing

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 07 Mar 2003 21:26 Post subject: Re: Star Trek

Children of Dune miniseries premiers on the Sci-Fi channel March 16th!!! www.scifi.com/dune/
And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, AhiraEdited by: danlo60 at: 3/7/03 7:27:53 pm

Sylvanus
Master Pilot

Posted: 11 Mar 2003 12:23 Post subject: Re: Star Trek

Nooo! Sci-Fi is evil. Do not watch Sci-Fi (except on Fridays between 8-9 pm, pacific and eastern time).

Besides, I've heard from fans that their Dune series are disappointing, and as someone who never read Dune (please, not the face ), I found them boring. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"

Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: SF announcements,links, cons, etc. (rescued)
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:32 am 
Lady Scryer

started by danlo:

Posted: 12 Mar 2003 19:41 Post subject: Re: Star Trek

U kno Syl I have 2 disagree...I know it doesn't say much, but but I 4 1 found the Dune miniseries much truer 2 the book than the movie...and now that Susan Sarandon is in Children of Dune I xpect great results. But I also argee that Farscape is the only viable series that they ever came up w/. And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, AhiraEdited by: danlo60 at: 3/12/03 5:42:34 pm

Sylvanus
Master Pilot

Posted: 12 Mar 2003 19:50 Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi gen messages--links--conventions--etc..

Ok, but Sci-Fi is still evil.
/sulk ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 15 Mar 2003 19:00 Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi gen messages--links--conventions--etc..

If I copied it right, here is the email I got about this new miniseries:
Dear Amazon.com Customer,

The story begun in Frank Herbert's Dune continues in another blockbuster event on the Sci Fi Channel with Children of Dune, adapted from the novels by Frank Herbert. This exciting new series begins Sunday, March 16, 9 p.m. ET/PT, only on the Sci Fi Channel--and Amazon.com has a trailer, photos, and series information for you.

Children of Dune picks up where the Emmy Award-winning Frank Herbert's Dune left off, 12 years after Paul Atreides--also known as Muad'Dib--tentatively preserved peace between his people, the Freman, and the corrupt House Harkonnen on the planet Arrakis. He has come to witness his glorious revolution become a bloody jihad, with all manner of corruption performed in his name. While bound to the Harkonnen princess Irulan in a loveless marriage made for political expediency, Paul has become emperor of a society terrorized by its own soldiers. Surrounded by corrupt families and bureaucrats, Paul eventually comes to realize that the only hope for the future may lie in the hands of his twin heirs, son Leto II and daughter Ghanima. Ultimately, the only salvation from the revolution begun by Muad'Dib may be the absolute destruction of his myth. And the tempest begun by the father must somehow be ended by the son.

The stellar ensemble cast of Children of Dune includes Academy Award® winner Susan Sarandon as the deliciously evil Princess Wensicia, Alice Krige, Edward Atterton, and Steven Berkoff. Reprising their roles from the first miniseries are Alec Newman as Paul and Julie Cox as Princess Irulan.

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Damelon
Master Pilot

Posted: 15 Mar 2003 19:50 Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi gen messages--links--conventions--etc..

I'm embarrased to say that I read Dune so long ago that I forgot the plot. I think he had three of the books out when I read it. He wrote another 2 before he died, right?

It just didn't grab a hold of me like Tolkien or SRD did.

Sylvanus
Master Pilot

Posted: 19 Mar 2003 18:43 Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi gen messages--links--conventions--etc..

As much as I hate to do it, I think I'm gonna break my Sci-Fi ban on Saturday and watch Riverworld. Has anybody seen the previews for this movie? I have to say, it looks interesting. Plus, it's directed by the same guy who did Dark City, and that's one of my all-time favs.

And, while I'm on it... the series finale of Farscape is on Friday night. If there's nothing else you're set on watching, please check it out (unless you're planning on catching the re-runs when Sci-Fi is finally done killing the show, 'cause it might just spoil the whole thing for you).

Sylvanus
Master Pilot

Posted: 26 Apr 2003 15:12 Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi gen messages--links--conventions--etc..

Science Fiction Fans to Get New Museum in Seattle

story.news.yahoo.com/news...fiction_dc ________________

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 28 Jun 2003 14:59 Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi gen messages--links--conventions--etc..

This year's British Science Fiction Association awards And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, AhiraEdited by: danlo60 at: 6/28/03 1:01 pm

taraswizard
Master Pilot

Posted: 20 Jul 2003 20:52 Post subject: I got links for everyone

I posted these links on another forum, but Danlo said I should repost them here.

Here are some links for everyone
* Feminist science fiction, fantasy and utopia
www.feministsf.org/femsf/

* Deep Magic; The E-zine of Hight Fantasy and Science Fiction. Everymonth a pdf format E-zine with short stories of SF and F. Some articles regarding writing and the publishing business. Every month articles about SF and F artists.
www.deep-magic.net/

* Emerald City - a personal zine (perzine) by Cheryl Morgan. Has many book reviews per month, plus news about the fan community and sci fi in general.
www.emcit.com/

* Wiscon - The world's only Feminist Science Fiction Convention. A very Sercon (Serious Con), but lots of fun.
www.sf3.org/wiscon/

* Ansible - David Langford's zine, comes out monthly. Regarding news of the Sci Fi and fan community. Much news about the UK, but very much worth the read.
www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/SF-Archives/Ansible/ taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.htmlEdited by: danlo60 at: 7/20/03 9:09 pm

AlphSeeker
Master Pilot

Posted: 27 Jul 2003 12:49 Post subject: Gene Wolfe Odyssey controversy

Gene Wolfe fans might find these letters to Locus Online interesting.

Letter from Wolfe:
www.locusmag.com/2003/Fea...ers07.html

Letters supporting Wolfe (by Ellison and others):
www.locusmag.com/2003/Fea...rs07a.html

Also interesting is this journal kept by one of the Odyssey students (some discussion of Wolfe starting at Day 29):
www.geocities.com/bronymor/odyssey.html

Man those writing workshops sound just gruelling. On the other hand, as a science fiction writer who never actually gets around to writing anything, I could really use that kind of motivation. Don't think I'd being willing to pay $1,400 for the privelege though.

taraswizard
Master Pilot

Posted: 27 Jul 2003 21:41 Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi gen messages--links--conventions--etc..

DragonCon. Aug 29 - Sept. 2 Atlanta, GA. Got my confirmation postcard Friday. DrangonCon, way to go.
www.dragoncon.org taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html

taraswizard
Master Pilot

Posted: 31 Jul 2003 20:19 Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi gen messages--links--conventions--etc..

taraswizard said before now Quote:DragonCon. Aug 29 - Sept. 2 Atlanta, GA. Got my confirmation postcard Friday. DrangonCon, way to go.
www.dragoncon.org Anyone on this board ever been to DragonCon. Interested in hearing your experiences. I am so looking forward to this.

taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - planc.bravepages.com/main.html
Edited by: taraswizard at: 7/31/03 6:21 pm

taraswizard
Master Pilot

Posted: 03 Feb 2004 20:01 Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi gen - William Gibson

On TechTV cable channel there is a show at 8.00 pm Eastern time called Screen Savers. This show discusses various topics regarding technology and computers. Well, tomorrow on this show, William Gibson, the author, will be a guest. Previously, this show has had Cory Doctorow(Down and out in the Magic Kingdom) as a guest. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always

taraswizard
Master Pilot

Posted: 23 Mar 2004 08:21 Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi gen messages--links--conventions--etc..

OK, guys and gals. This a.m. I just surfed to the coolest site I'd seen in a little while. Revolution SF wwww.revolutionsf.com. This site seems to have decent amount of content, seems fairly up-to-date and has, IMO, some good presentation. The site has news about cons and fandom, TV, books and movies, and it has some original fictition posted. (it always snarks me pretty bad, when I find a website that has something decent to say and might have some good presentations and the darn thing has not been updated since 2002 or 2001 ) It is kinda fan oriented, so some folks might think it is geeky. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always

tschurter
Pilot

Posted: 11 Apr 2004 09:04 Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi gen messages--links--conventions--etc..

I will be a guest at the scifiexpo Fan Appreciation Day on Saturday April 17th in Richardson Texas.

It's a pretty big event with a mix of stuff. They have some very well known graphic artists that will be guests and the MoonBase Lego Project will be there.

So far I'm the only guest scifi writer I know of booked for the show.

The url:

www.scifiexpo.com/dcc.asp

Image Image Image