[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - David Brin - The Postman (rescued)

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: David Brin - The Postman (rescued)
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:45 am 
Lady Scryer

originally started by duchess of malfi:

11 Feb 2003 00:59 Post subject: The Postman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Postman is a book which I really enjoy!:love It tells the story of a man making his way through a post-Apocalypse Pacific Northwest, which is swarming with survivalists.:arrgh!

I know it was made into a movie a few years back, but I heard so many awful things about the movie I have never seen it, fearing that it would be so bad that it would taint my enjoyment of the book.

Anyone here read the book AND seen the movie? Is the movie as bad as I've heard??:shrug Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry PratchettEdited by: danlo60 at: 8/23/05 6:36 pm

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 11 Feb 2003 09:13 Post subject: Re: The postman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The movie is not so bad, if u have never read the book. If u have then almost nothing makes sense--the movie is it's own story really not much of anything that goes on in the movie is really in the book xcept 4 mayb the love scene and the 1 or 2 towns he comes to. Nothing about the campus and the electronic "god" is touched on in it. Best scene in the movie is Tom Petty as the river-tram keeper. The movie's really just about Costner vs Will Patton as Gen. Beauregard (or whatever his name was) and his Arryian-like-survivalist army. In the book Patton's character was actually a demented Major and not really in charge--and of course alot of others thing happen in the book which kinda make any conflict btween the Postman and the Army a subplot.

And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Zahir al Daoud
Pilot

Posted: 12 Feb 2003 20:01 Post subject: The Postman

Okay, after seeing DIVE HARD (er...WATERWORLD) the idea of what Kevin Costner would do to one of my most favorite s-f novels made my skin crawl.

So--never went to the flick.

Adored the novel. I tell people its about the birth of a myth, and I quote the dedication ("To Benjamin Franklin, devious genius, and to Lysistrata--who tried.").

This last would work better if more people had the slightest idea who Lysistrata was, but...

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 12 Feb 2003 21:12 Post subject: Re: The Postman

Again--if u have read The Postman I do not recommend u see the film. The beginning is cool--much like the book. And the cinematography is great. The movie The Postman is better than Waterworld (I kno doesn't say much) but Gordon is not a remake of John Dunbar. Yes un42nately the movie is kinda like an attempt at a futuristic Dances with Wolves. Actually the "love story" really didn't happen that much in the book--it was more of a "survival of the species" theme in the book.

Another thing that really bothered me in the movie was the fact that, even tho they tried, u never got the feeling that Gordon was concealing the truth of his origin--which was an xtremely important facet of the book. I had 2 re-purchase the book after seeing the movie simply bcause I kept saying 2 myself: I didn't really remember anything like that ever happening in the book. I was right. Either Brin took the $ and ran or is still screaming mad! The mountain people in the book
were great--they always remind me of Martins' "wildings" in A Game of Thrones...

And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/18/03 7:50 am
</i>

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 13 Feb 2003 01:30 Post subject: Re: The Postman

The birth of a myth is agreat way of describing this book.

And Lysistrata is one of the funniest things I've ever read -- I hope to someday get a chance to see it on stage. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 08 Mar 2003 09:03 Post subject: Re: The Postman

Some Postman trivia: Who is Nathan Holn? Who is George Powhatan? (isn't Powhatan cool...prob my fav character in the book, some very neat "semi-mystical" scenes btween him and Gordon...)

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Metadron
Pilot

Posted: 17 Dec 2003 14:05 Post subject: Re: The Postman

I've seen the movie of the postman, but not yet read the book. I 've already seen it in the libraby... Is it still worth to read the book you think?

I've also seen Waterworld. is it also based on a book of brin? :p

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 18 Dec 2003 09:57 Post subject: Re: The Postman

Of course! You MUST read the book, entirely-different from the movie--meeting Powhatan and going on the college campus are mystical xperiences all in themselves. At the time it was written it was a major cult classic and it still stands the test of time-Along with Earth Abides, The Sheep Look Up, On the Beach and a few others it's prob one of the best post-apocalyptic novels ever written! *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool)

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 27 May 2006 21:51 Post subject: Re: The Postman

Dang I forgot to answer you question. No Waterworld is not based on a Brin book...in fact I can't think of any Sci-Fi I know of it could be based on. A more recent movie, the Core, is loosely based on Brin's Earth and I think he received some compensation for it. *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool)

Balon
Pilot

Posted: 25 Feb 2007 23:43 Post subject:

The book the postman was originally three seperate short stories that Brinn wrote for a science fiction magazine. Eventually he put them together, and edited a bit, into one full novel. It's really a very good story.

A central idea is how a man can lie a myth into existance to survive and how that myth takes on a life of it's own. Hopefully, to create it's own real existance.

The movie is good, but completley different from the book. When you see it, make sure to look at it from that standpoint, as a movie. Not as a screen version of the book.

Image Image Image