[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - C. S. Lewis - Space Trilogy (rescued)

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: C. S. Lewis - Space Trilogy (rescued)
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:27 am 
Lady Scryer

originally started by Mhoram:
Posted: 21 Sep 2002 14:06 Post subject: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just journeyed from a used book store, where I bought the original copies of the first two books of the Space Trilogy. Ive read the first three chapters, and its great! As you can probably see, Im going through a C.S. Lewis phase. Your affectionate uncle, ScrewtapeEdited by: mhoram6910 at: 10/8/02 5:12:33 pm

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 29 Sep 2002 19:23 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, I just finished it! Cant wait to read Perelandra! The religious tones of this book were a little bit hard to recognize and decipher...maybe if SOMEONE else read it theyd help me out....I am you see, not implying anything. Further up, and further in!

Skywier
Master Pilot

Posted: 29 Sep 2002 23:54 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet

I am intrigued .. why you so desperately want to seek christian related imagery .. can you explain why this is such a common approach to what you read?? health and healing

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 30 Sep 2002 13:49 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet

Not everything, Sky. Just Lewis' books. It can be fun to find them, and his POV is interesting. Further up, and further in!

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 12 Oct 2002 14:44 Post subject: Raves about Perelandra!!!!!

Im about 100 pages through of Perelandra, book 2 of the Space Trilogy. I dont mean to spoil it for anyone....but Id like to mention the fact that the devil IS in this book. Its kind of freaky actually.....read Out of the Silent Planet and this book! Theyre awesome! Further up, and further in!

nindiri
Pilot

Posted: 16 Oct 2002 02:13 Post subject: Raves

So, have you finished it yet? Great book, isn't it. I assume you're planning to read "That Hideous Strength" next. It's also an excellent book, although I think "Perelandra" is my favorite of the three.

N

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 16 Oct 2002 14:05 Post subject: Re: Raves

Well, it took a while for Perelandra to get some action going, but there was just a really good scene. But so far I like Out of the Silent Planet more. Loved the species and imagination in that book. Only Lewis... Further up, and further in!

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 18 Oct 2002 15:48 Post subject: Re: Raves

Im done. It was great...the attempt at the Garden story was intriguing and very original.

Then Un-Man was a perplexing, and scary character. Im just waiting to get my hands on THS! The planet he saw appeared to have continents that looked surprisingly like Northern Europe and North America. Ransom realized it was Earth he was seeing-Thulcandra, the Silent Planet

nindiri
Pilot

Posted: 18 Oct 2002 19:21 Post subject: Re: Raves

The scene where the Un-man is killing the froggie critters just for the sheer pleasure of it is quite frightening when you think about it. It kind of reminds me of some of the twisted people around today, who, as a matter of habit, cause as much pain and suffering as they can without even hardly thinking about it. Lewis could see what was coming.

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 18 Oct 2002 19:36 Post subject: Re: Raves

He truly was a genius... The planet he saw appeared to have continents that looked surprisingly like Northern Europe and North America. Ransom realized it was Earth he was seeing-Thulcandra, the Silent Planet

Earthblood
Master Pilot

Posted: 22 Oct 2002 19:02 Post subject: Re: Raves

So what you're saying is....it's worth a read?

*earthy snickers at his great attempt at humor*

All this raving..hmmm...I'll have to check it out - I did browse the back cover @ the book store...

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 22 Oct 2002 19:12 Post subject: Re: Raves

LOL, of which book? The planet he saw appeared to have continents that looked surprisingly like Northern Europe and North America. Ransom realized it was Earth he was seeing-Thulcandra, the Silent Planet

Earthblood
Master Pilot

Posted: 22 Oct 2002 20:11 Post subject: Re: Raves

Can't remember name - guess it was the first of the series

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 07 Nov 2002 16:54 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

I read online that Ransom the philologist and main character of the Space Trilogy probably represents Tolkien; a friend of Lewis. It would be so like C.S. Lewis to do something like that! Never did He make two things the same; never did He utter one word twice. After earths, not better earths but beasts; after beasts not better beasts, but spirits. After a falling, not a recovery, but a new creation, not a third but the mode of change itself is changed forever. Blessed be He!

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 18 Nov 2002 00:52 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

They're offering these in a three in one volume in the book club I belong to at a pretty good price. Are they a good read if so, I might go for 'em.

Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: C. S. Lewis - Space Trilogy (rescued)
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:30 am 
Lady Scryer

started by Mhoram:
18 Nov 2002 14:55 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

I loved Out of the Silent Planet, and Perelandra was good, too. I started That Hideous Strength, but it was too slow, and I read a summary of it anyway! The dead pay the debts of the living.

nindiri
Pilot

Posted: 24 Nov 2002 01:00 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

Don't give up on it, the pace will pick up some. If you don't finish it, I will send Mr. Bultitude to get you.

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 24 Nov 2002 13:29 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

Will do! The dead pay the debts of the living.

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 16 Dec 2002 16:47 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

Well, it came today in the mail..the cover looks really interesting. Dragons and all sorts of other fantastic creatures. I'm going to put in second in the pile under the Tad Williams... "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 16 Dec 2002 17:33 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

As long as its there! Further up, and further in!

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 27 Dec 2002 13:16 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

Well, I'm about halfway through the first book. I like all of the other intelligent species that Lewis has created. I also like the main character -- this good man who doesn't realize how brave or noble that he is. Is this guy really based on Tolkein? If so, Tolkein must have been both a very good and very modest man.

Winter is Coming
Blood and Fire
Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 27 Dec 2002 17:00 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

Thats just what I read....

Ransom is an awesome character. I only read the first 2 books of the series, couldnt get into the third one. Of the two, I definitely liked Out of the Silent Planet the best. Further up, and further in!

nindiri
Pilot

Posted: 29 Dec 2002 19:24 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

Now I'm gonna have to send Mr. Bultitude over to see you.

Seriously, though, if you get a chance, finish THS. The pace picks up some, and by the end it will give you a good scare. You need to meet "The Head".

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 30 Dec 2002 13:17 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

I liked Silent Planet a lot. So creative, loved all of the intellligent species there, and Ransom is great!
I'm halfway through the second book now, just got past the part where the Devil dude murders the pretty little froggies. Yuck!!!
Poor little beasties!

I think we need to send this guy after him!! Or maybe this guy would be even better! Or maybe Aslan! Aslan would kick his devil butt best of all! Winter is Coming
Blood and Fire
Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken

nindiri
Pilot

Posted: 30 Dec 2002 16:50 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

The scene you just mentioned with the froggie critters is a very disturbing passage. Compare it to our modern culture, where people kill for the sheer pleasure of killing. At least in the past, bad people usually had a reason to kill, such as greed. Now people, including children, are hurting and killing others simply because they can. They have become the "devil dude".

Lewis and others warned us.

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 30 Dec 2002 17:14 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

I found it to be an extremely disturbing passage. I guess I could understand killing an animal if it was a threat to you or if you need it for food...but he's killing these harmless, pretty little creatures for entertainment.
I don't even want to think about it transferred to harming humans. Winter is Coming
Blood and Fire
Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 30 Dec 2002 17:47 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

The Un-Man is a VERY disturbing character, yet very interesting. Further up, and further in!

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 31 Dec 2002 15:53 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

The further into the book I get, the more and more disturbing I find him, too. But I like how Ransom has taken it upon himself to protect the animals... Winter is Coming
Blood and Fire
Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 03 Jan 2003 02:47 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

OK. Finished the second book, which I will not even attempt to spell the name of! I liked the garden story! Ransom is completely cool!
I've started the third book, am on about chapter three, and have one question for you guys!
Where's Ransom? Isn't Ransom in this one??? Winter is Coming
Blood and Fire
Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 03 Jan 2003 10:49 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

Thats what I thought! But, I secretly flipped some pages further on in the book, and found his name, so yea I think hes in it. I think you got farther then me in that book! Hello, and good-bye, as always.

Further up, and further in

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:34 am 
Lady Scryer

started by duchess of malfi:

03 Jan 2003 15:47 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

It's finally my day off from work, so I've been concentrating on laundry and reading today. Mhoram, I can see why you had trouble getting into the third book. I am having some of the same trouble.
1. I spent the week bouncing back and forth between afternoon and midnight shifts and I am very tired.
2. No Ranson yet, and I am somewhere between a third and halfway done.
3. I don't particualrly care for either Mark or Jane yet.

If I can stay awake, I hope to finish it up this evening. And that's not saying anything bad about Lewis, whom I like as a writer. It's just saying that I'm physically exhausted.

I feel like this today:
but in a bad way, not a good one.

I think it's time to go make a pot of nice, hot, strong tea! Winter is Coming
Blood and Fire
Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 03 Jan 2003 15:51 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

If you manage to finish THS, please tell us about it! Hello, and good-bye, as always.

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 03 Jan 2003 23:13 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

Well, I just finished. I came downstairs to let my doggy outside for his pre-bedtime business, so thought I'd give you a quick post.
I didn't like this one as much as the other two books, though that might be simply a function of being so physically tired.
I found it hard to warm up to Mark and Jane, the two main characters. I just didn't find them to be very likable people, though I did like Jane more than Mark. Ransom WAS in the book, but he appears late, and he's been so changed by his experiences in book 2 that he's definately not the same person. I'll have to think on it awhile when I'm feeling more the thing, but I'm not even certain if he's fully human anymore. He seems to be...more.
The plot was interesting. Lewis pulled all sorts of Arthurian stuff into it!
I DID like Mr. Bultitude. Winter is Coming
Blood and Fire
Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 04 Jan 2003 14:09 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

Youre a faster reader then I am! Im glad you liked it, at least I think you liked it Ransom is very cool! Hello, and good-bye, as always.

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 04 Jan 2003 14:19 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

No, I don't think that I'm a faster reader than you. Mr. I'm-on-book-7-of-amber! That third book is just harder to get into than the other two. Still pretty good, though -- it IS Lewis.
I like how he played his little tribute to Tolkein throughout book 3 -- besides the character Ransom being based on Tolkein.
And of course I liked it you goofball! And I prolly never would have read the trilogy if not for you, so THANKS! Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry PratchettEdited by: Duchess of Malfi at: 1/4/03 2:39:58 pm

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 05 Jan 2003 11:24 Post subject: Re: Out of the Silent Planet:C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy

Youre welcome! Hello, and good-bye, as always.

moormahn
Pilot

Posted: 07 Jan 2003 23:15 Post subject: Space Trilogy

These are three of my favorite books. The third was a little slow but picked up. Perelandra was the best of the three. Actually one of the best of all his books that I have read, which is still only a handful. If you want one which is a more openly religious, but with a interesting twist, try THE GREAT DIVORCE.

nindiri
Pilot

Posted: 08 Jan 2003 19:42 Post subject: Re: Space Trilogy

I liked The Great Divorce. The only problem with reading Lewis, at least for me, is that you need a dictionary and an encyclopedia nearby to keep up with him.

I also thought Perelandra was the best of the three books. That seems to be the majority opinion here.

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 09 Jan 2003 15:19 Post subject: Re: Space Trilogy

Probably has the best writing, and the most thought and Christian speculation...sorry I didnt word that right. Hello, and good-bye, as always.

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 24 Jan 2003 13:59 Post subject: Re: Space Trilogy

I was at Barnes and Noble today, trying to track down the last volumes of Tad Williams's Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn books, which Borders didn't have when I stopped in there last week.
And I found a novella/short story collection by Lewis that contains a novel fragment about Ransom called The Dark Tower! It is apparently part of a direct sequel to Silent Planet! It was saved from the flames of a bonfire after Lewis's death when his brother had his papers burned...
Will get back with you guys as soon as I read it. I am in the middle of a novel by Zindell, which I wish to finish first, then I think I'll read The Dark Tower. It's less than a hundred pages, and the other short stories are even smaller. Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 23 Feb 2003 18:22 Post subject: Re: Space Trilogy

I don't care for the Dark Tower. The first few pages are pure Lewis, then there is an abrupt break in the story, and when it resumes, the tone completely changes. I think it's going to be one of the few books I put aside without finishing... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 18 Mar 2003 13:00 Post subject: Re: Space Trilogy

Well, I did make myself sit down and finish it today. I still don't care for the dark Tower story itself, but there was another novel fragment called After Ten Years, which I think would have been a wonderful book if Lewis had been granted the time to finish it...it was about Helen of Troy and her Greek husband Meneleus, and the aftermath of the Trojan War, the bits of it available were a pretty good read... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

rivenrock
Pilot

Posted: 29 Jan 2004 16:27 Post subject: Lewis' imagination, and mine

Quote:But so far I like Out of the Silent Planet more. Loved the species and imagination in that book. Only Lewis... I love that book. Sometimes I feel like I don't have the imagination I used to, because I remember reading books like that and better utterly absorbed in the characters, the creation of a people I'd never before imagined - the hnau definitely fall into that catagory, but after I read Donaldson's Chronicles as an adult I realised that that power of imagination is still there; it's just that there are only a few authors that can create like that.

I love Lewis as a person and an author, even though there were books of his I found boring (half of Perelandra at least), because sometimes he just gets it SO RIGHT. Out of the Silent Planet is one of favourite books of all time, only because of species he created. And not just wrote a new version of either, like Pratchett's excellently funny new take on elves, but created from scratch. I also love the way their 'human'ity has nothing to do with looking human.

and a bunch of other things too

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:04 am 
Lady Scryer

begun by Danlo:
13 Jul 2003 22:06 Post subject: That Hideous Strength

I saw this book at the book store 2day, I seen it b4 and it alway has intrigued me, any1 kno what's it about? And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, AhiraEdited by: danlo60 at: 10/5/03 10:28 pm

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 13 Jul 2003 23:48 Post subject: Re: The Hideious Strenght

It's the third book of his space trilogy . It's a bit of a stand alone with different main characters, so it would not be necessary to read the other two books first. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 17 Jul 2003 12:32 Post subject: Re: The Hideious Strenght

Perosnally, Danlo, I'd recommend reading Perelandra and Out of the Silent Planet first. They're great. The entire Trilogy is recommended. Further up, and further in!

"Come to Elfhand," the troll said.
The child thought for a while....
"N-no" said the child
"Why not?" said the troll.
"Mother made a jam roll this morning," said the child.
-the King of Elfhand's Daughter

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 17 Jul 2003 16:24 Post subject: Re: The Hideious Strenght

er, ok! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 18 Jul 2003 19:10 Post subject: Re: The Hideious Strenght

Why are you embaressed? Further up, and further in!

"N-no" said the child

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 19 Jul 2003 14:26 Post subject: Re: The Hideious Strenght

I should have remembered that it was part of the Space Trilogy! Databank had rare error, error, must sterilize, must ster-ril-lize, I am NOMAD, I am NOMAD! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, AhiraEdited by: danlo60 at: 8/6/03 12:28 pm

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 06 Aug 2003 11:29 Post subject: Re: The Hideious Strenght

Further up, and further in!

"N-no" said the child

Image Image Image