[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - what are you reading now archive thread (rescued)

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: what are you reading now archive thread (rescued)
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:06 am 
Lady Scryer

begun by Danlo:
Posted: 21 May 2002 15:30 Post subject: What Sci-Fi are you reading right now?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, there are a number of Fantasies I SHOULD be reading right now like, G.R.R.Martin books, James Stoddard and Robin Hobb--but, I NEVER do as I am told so I just picked up a copy of Hyperion by Dan Simmons. The first page has me hooked! ALREADY! Has anyone else read this guy? What do you think? If not what Sci-Fi are you reading right now--what do you plan to read? Review your fav book--no one has to guess what mine is...

Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/29/05 6:58 pm
</i>

King Theoden
Master Pilot

Posted: 21 May 2002 22:22 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know of my fondness for considering old books my friends and not getting into new books very often. I am rereading IT by Stephen King. It's not sci-fi (though the Turtle might be considered an alien, and IT is certainly an alien). King gets classified so readily as horror, and that's sad in a way. Love the way he seems to work kids into most of his works. Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 22 May 2002 10:25 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Oh god ur freaking me out King! I'll start what fantasy? and what horror book r u reading? threads in the appropriate forums. I admitted in Cthulhu's Corner that I am VERY claustrobic--NOW u've 4cred me 2 admit Clownaphobia! Clowns scare the living HELL out of me! I once broke the speaker @ Jack in the Box w/my fist! My buddy gave me directions 2 the drive-up, I had never been 2 a drive-up b4, then I heard this weird metallic voice talking 2 me, and I thought it was some evil clown-robot coming after me! I freaked and punched it out! I think, Dr., that it all began when I was 7 and my Dad took me 2 the Ringling Bros Circus @ Madison Sq. Garden--I think my entire concept of reality was shattered by that fact of 40 painted, bulbous-nosed creatures could actually fit in that tiny car--they just kept popping out and popping out--God would it EVER end!!!!???? Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i></i>

King Theoden
Master Pilot

Posted: 22 May 2002 20:27 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Sorry to have gotten off topic, Danlo, but I really think parts of IT are sic-fi by definition. Many people have an aversiion to clowns. On MST-3K, a commonly told joke is "clown suit?". I have the same fear of any film involving possession by demons. Wow, what a neat topic to pursue--What scares you? Let me see if I can find the prople venue for the question! (Sorry about bringing up clowns) Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 20 Jun 2002 21:20 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

1/2 through Hyperion by Dan Simmons--damm this is a cool book!!! How far do you fall Pilot?

King Theoden
Master Pilot

Posted: 20 Jun 2002 23:07 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

CAUTION: POSSIBLE SPOILERS HERE
Well, just finished The Inverted World! It was very interesting, and yet, kinda sad. To think those people hauled that city around for so long, thinking one thing, and actually being in a completely different place. A wonderful book, suggested to me by someone at KW. Don't remember who, but thanks! Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/14/03 10:16 pm

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 21 Jun 2002 07:55 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

r u trying 2 b silly or what? I suggested it 2 u on KW!--Nerdanel is reading it 2 and Pitchwife (on KW) I'v been trying 2 get Pitch 2 come 2 the Hangar 2 discuss it! Then we ALL can discuss it in the Priest thread!!! How far do you fall Pilot?Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/22/02 12:16:48 am

King Theoden
Master Pilot

Posted: 21 Jun 2002 13:27 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

I really don't remember, but I will take your word for it and again express my thanks. It was a good and interesting book! Looking forward to discussing the book sometime. Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/14/03 10:15 pm

BerenCAMLOST7
Master Pilot

Posted: 21 Jun 2002 17:13 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Danlo -

Stoddard ? As in James Stoddard ? As in High House ? What am amazing book. As is the followup False House. Well done.

I've just taken possession of Alfred Bester's seminal work The Stars My Destination. Bloody good stuff. William Gibson's favourite novel BTW, and a must read for Cyberpunk fans. It basically invented the genre 30 years before there was one. And yes I know about PKD Trust me Bester is more important.

Also, wait for it, I've just got my hands on Zindell's Lightstone. As you people rate him so highly I thought I'd give him a whirl. Aure entuluva !

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 22 Jun 2002 10:56 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

I agree Beren--and some have said that The Stars, My Destination was also very intramental in Zindell's creation of Neverness, truly a groundbreaking book that is--We need 2 start a Bester topic here and if u could add that 2 the Gibson topic we'd all appreciate that very much. I promise I will read Stoddard--just have 2 finish Hyperion and The Boats of the Glen Carrig (on the net) 1st!!! How far do you fall Pilot?Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/22/02 8:57:36 am

Foamfollower1013
Master Pilot

Posted: 23 Jun 2002 20:10 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Right now I'm re-reading the Ender series, in preparation for EnderCon this summer...

~Foamy~

MsMary
Master Pilot

Posted: 25 Jun 2002 17:02 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

See Foamy's comment...

Aside: She "stole" Speaker from the Dead from me when I had only a few chapters left till the end, so that she could read all the books in sequence while on her trip to NY this week. :">

So I had to skip to the next book, Children of the Mind. (I also skipped Ender's Game cause she was reading it. But she didn't take that with her, so I'll get to it while I have the house to myself.)

~MsMary~
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"

Foamfollower1013
Master Pilot

Posted: 03 Jul 2002 00:56 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

MsMary
Master Pilot

Posted: 15 Jul 2002 16:11 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

And all Foamy's Ender stories reading paid off - she got the highest score of anyone in her round of Ender's Game trivia - qualifying her for the Final round, where she came in 3rd against some tough competition.

~MsMary~
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 15 Jul 2002 17:16 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

The High House and King Theoden's gift of A Game of Thrones r in my hot little hands!!! I've read 14 pages of The High House--already in love w/it!!! Mathematics is a game. It's pieces are the axioms we create, and it's rules our logic. That mathematics is occasionally useful to mechanics and pilots is accidental -Mahavira Lal, third Lord Cantor

Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: what are you reading now archive thread (rescued)
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:10 am 
Lady Scryer

begun by King Theoden:
Posted: 15 Jul 2002 18:06 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

I've just begun Manifold Origin by Stephen Baxter. In the first 11 pages, there have been only 2 characters introduced, so it has passed the 50 page test--so far... Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/14/03 10:16 pm

BerenCAMLOST7
Master Pilot

Posted: 19 Jul 2002 16:59 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Danlo -

Alfred Bester's book The Stars my Destination is an awesome work, you must read it. Where to begin ? The prime character Gully Foyle I suppose. Gully is the best anti-hero I've encountered in some time. A nasty piece of work, the plot concerns his quest for revenge on a ship that left him to die in Space. It's a bit like Point Blank. Gully is a driven man, sometimes bestial, always interesting. His character changes within the book as he and you go on a voyage of exploration within Bester's plot development. The background is a Solar System wide war. Earth run by The Corporations, Tele-Porting causing massive economic and social chaos. It's an incredible read, one you can't put down.

BTW - Have you met Jormungand yet ? Aure entuluva !

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 04 Nov 2002 14:42 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Jormungand is one of the coolest dragons/dinosaur I've ever met--The High House was a wild book--it was a throwback book 2 the times of Morris and Dunsany--yes the house itself is Gormengast, loved Mr. Hope (Hogdston) all the old references: especially Lud in the Mist. Very claustrophopic dusty old book--kinda Lovecraftian in a strange way--the Bobby is just insane!!!

I think I said this somewhere else, but I'll say it again: Some of Bester's works and an a particular Aldiss story were kinda what Neverness was based on. Gene Wolfe and Spinrad have also been likened 2 Zindell's (sci-fi) style.
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 21 Dec 2002 11:09 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

The Green Brain by Frank Herbert. Further up, and further in!

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 21 Dec 2002 13:48 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

That is a COOL book!, Hard 2 understand @ a few pts..but very cool! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 21 Dec 2002 16:34 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Cool! Further up, and further in!

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 24 Dec 2002 14:33 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

The C.S. Lewis Space Trilogy! Winter is Coming
Blood and Fire
Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 24 Dec 2002 14:38 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Wow! Congrats! Further up, and further in!

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 21 Jan 2003 00:52 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Sitting here next to my computer is my new copy of David Zindell's The Broken God. I enjoyed his Neverness a lot. I am almost afraid to pick up this book and start reading it! I'm sometimes this way when I greatly anticipate a book -- I had George Martin's Storm of Swords for a month before I started reading it. I'm just so afraid of being let down...however, I trust Danlo's judgement and I am going to forge ahead and ignore my own silliness!
Back to Neverness, city of eternal mystery!
Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 21 Jan 2003 01:45 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

U will understand me a whole lot much better (and as well), once u do read The Broken God! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 21 Jan 2003 14:44 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

At last I understand a reference you made at the beginning of the annoying habits thread in miscellaneous.
Lord Timekeeper, leave that nose ice alone! Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 21 Jan 2003 19:32 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Yes, I'm sneaky that way! By now you should have solved the mystery in the introduction 2 Pelablinka! And remember: You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose! (unless, of couse, u're both and in2 it! ) And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, AhiraEdited by: danlo60 at: 1/21/03 5:35:56 pm

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 01 Feb 2003 00:51 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

I am reading Zindell's The Wild, nearly done! It's awesome!!! Go Danlo!!!
Then book four of Williams' Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series, the Zindell's War in Heaven. I've been alternating all along, so I figure I might as well finish both series (both of which are good! ) up that way!

Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 04 Feb 2003 15:25 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Wild Cards volume 1 edited by George RR Martin! It's great! I already bought another volume of it, which I havent had the chance to start... Further up, and further in!

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 05 Feb 2003 12:21 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Please let me know how the Wild Cards go -- I've not read any of them, but am interested in maybe reading them someday. You know I like Martin!

I have finished the Tad Williams series, which I enjoyed. I am now about to start War in Heaven by Zindell. Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:13 am 
Lady Scryer

begun by Viper Asmadon:
Posted: 05 Feb 2003 15:52 Post subject: What Sci-Fi r u readin right now?

tra la la la la actually i am finishing up the Rogue Squadron its a good series and i dont know what next any sugeestions

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 05 Feb 2003 21:15 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u readin right now?

Who wrote it? And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 08 Feb 2003 16:37 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u readin right now?

I read one book of that series I think. I don't remember who wrote it, wasn't that impressed. Further up, and further in!

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 08 Feb 2003 17:44 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u readin right now?

Viper, what type of Sci-Fi do u like? Very Tekkie? Aliens? Philosohpical, Lots of action/ If u splain I could recommend! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 21 Feb 2003 15:28 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u readin right now?

Right now I'm doing the Lord of Light group read; and also rereading Dan Simmon's Hyperion. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 21 Feb 2003 20:50 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u readin right now?

As u all may already kno I'm reading The Fall of Hyperion, right now, as well as Lord of Light 4 the Group Read. About 70 pages in2 Fall... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 26 Feb 2003 14:07 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u readin right now?

I've finished Hyperion, now I'm reading Fall of Hyperion.
Trying to make up my mind what to read next -- Lewis's Till We Have Faces, The Chronicles of Amber, and Simmons's Song of Kali are the ones at the top of the stack. You guys have any suggestions?? There's a couple of David Brin books in my stack, too -- Kiln People and Glory Season. Maybe I should read one of those for Brin forum?? I also have this hankering to reread The Riddlemaster of Hed trilogy.
Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David ZindellEdited by: Duchess of Malfi at: 3/19/03 1:43:22 pm

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 26 Feb 2003 20:10 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u readin right now?

Ever read The Inverted World by Christopher Priest? An old Sci-Fi but 1 of my absolute favs! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 27 Feb 2003 01:34 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u readin right now?

I've never even heard of that one -- I'll have to keep an eye out for it!
i think I might go for the Lewis then maybe one of the books by Brin... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 02 May 2003 19:52 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u readin right now?

I am about to start reading David Brin's Kiln People.

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****

Shiny
Pilot

Posted: 12 May 2003 20:46 Post subject: ACK!

Finals, finals!! Ack, ack!! In two weeks I will once again pick up my copy of OSC's Earthfall, textbooks and research papers in the mean... whee!!

Damelon
Master Pilot

Posted: 17 May 2003 07:59 Post subject: Re: ACK!

I've been reading The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.

AlphSeeker
Master Pilot

Posted: 18 May 2003 12:56 Post subject: Re: ACK!

Ah, good choice, Damelon. I've been meaning to read that one, well, forever.

I'm currently reading Zelazny's Damnation Alley.

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 18 May 2003 18:03 Post subject: Re: ACK!

In addition to the two group read books by Donaldson, and the fantasy novel I am reading by Marion Zimmer bradley, I am also rereading Dan Simmons's Endymion, as part of my Simmons terminology project for my forum. Only problem -- its too hard to put down at the end of each chapter! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 20 May 2003 19:52 Post subject: Re: ACK!

I've finished the fantasy novel by Marion Zimmer Bradley and am about to embark on Zelazny's Damnation Alley. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:16 am 
Lady Scryer

begun by duchess of malfi:
Posted: 23 May 2003 19:54 Post subject: Re: ACK!

I finished up Damnation Alley and am now treating myself to one of the weirdest books ever written -- Zelazny's Creatures of Light and Darkness. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 24 Jun 2003 13:25 Post subject: Re: ACK!

I recently read Lord Demon by Zelazny and am currently reading Otherness by Brin. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 05 Jul 2003 20:00 Post subject: Re: ACK!

I am reading a short story collection by Dan Simmons right now. Finished up Lord demon and another Zelazny book, called A Night in the Lonesome October, as well as Brin's Otherness. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

AlphSeeker
Master Pilot

Posted: 12 Jul 2003 18:43 Post subject: Re: ACK!

I'm about 3/4 of the way through Pavane by Keith Roberts, and I gotta say it's one of the best books I've read. It's an 'alternate history' novel, but it reads more like a beautifully written fantasy - and there are actually some fantasy elements involved, though it's ultimately about the progress of science.

Roberts' must have been one heck of an intelligent guy. His writing is comparable to literary heavy-weights like Burgess, Pynchon, or Ballard ... even Nabokov maybe.

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 13 Jul 2003 00:08 Post subject: Re: ACK!

jesus christo! Now that's impressive company! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

AlphSeeker
Master Pilot

Posted: 13 Jul 2003 13:42 Post subject: Currently Reading

Hmm, thought perhaps I went a bit overboard with the comparisons ... until I saw this in a Amazon.com review:

"Roberts is a master storyteller and inventor of great literature. I daresay he ranks amongst those such as Dickens and Shakespeare."

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 13 Jul 2003 19:50 Post subject: Re: Currently Reading

: Further up, and further in!

"Come to Elfhand," the troll said.
The child thought for a while....
"N-no" said the child
"Why not?" said the troll.
"Mother made a jam roll this morning," said the child.
-the King of Elfhand's Daughter

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 13 Jul 2003 21:53 Post subject: Re: Currently Reading

Just bought a Sci-Fi called Metaplanetary by Tony Daniel.

I kno nothing by Daniel so this is fresh territory--the book looks pretty interesting and when Lucius Shepard (who wrote the incredible Green Eyes, which I rank right up there with William Gibson's Necromancer and Bruce Sterling's Islands in the Net) AND Roger Zelazny recommend an author I listen!!!

If it starts heating up, or any1 else is a fan, I'll start a topic on him...
And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 15 Jul 2003 12:37 Post subject: Re: Currently Reading

I am going to give Earth by David Brin a try. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 15 Jul 2003 13:22 Post subject: Re: Currently Reading

Wonderful book! U won't b disappointed. And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Sylvanus
Master Pilot

Posted: 15 Jul 2003 19:45 Post subject: Re: Currently Reading

Well, I'm not reading anything at the moment, but when I get back to reading, I'm going to finish up Short Sun and then the rest of Wolfe's ouevre. I'm thinking about hanging up most long sci-fi for a while after that and really hit some non-fiction(I'm not getting any younger, that book's not going to write itself, and my brain needs to be stretched again... not to mention I gotta start working on my degree). ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"

AlphSeeker
Master Pilot

Posted: 19 Jul 2003 01:59 Post subject: Re: Currently Reading

Uh, OK now I'm reading Ursula K. Le Guin's The Disposessed and ... well, I hate to be a jerk about it, but considering her reputation, it's seems pretty lame so far.

Maybe it gets better. I guess I expected more from her in the style department. I remember reading a short Native American fantasy piece by her that was quite good. "Buffalo Gals", was it?

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 19 Jul 2003 02:14 Post subject: Re: Currently Reading

yep, hang in there re: Disposessed...alot of folks like it but her style's not what us Earthsea-heads r used 2, I'd recommend The Left Hand of Darkness and The Lathe of Heaven before Disposessed...both r outstanding books!!! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, AhiraEdited by: danlo60 at: 7/19/03 12:15 am

AlphSeeker
Master Pilot

Posted: 27 Jul 2003 13:01 Post subject: Re: Currently Reading

Ah, you were right of course, danlo! Glad I stuck with it.

mhoram6910
Master Pilot

Posted: 10 Aug 2003 15:50 Post subject: Re: Currently Reading

God Emperor of Dune! Further up, and further in!

"Come to Elfhand," the troll said.
The child thought for a while....
"N-no" said the child
"Why not?" said the troll.
"Mother made a jam roll this morning," said the child.
-the King of Elfhand's Daughter

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:18 am 
Lady Scryer

Posted: 14 Aug 2003 00:09 Post subject: Re: Currently Reading

I will have to definately check out that Roberts book one of these days, Alphseeker!
I have a few pages left of Dan Simmons's Ilium, which I am greatly enjoying, and then I will embark on an author who is new to me, but highly recommended by a friend. His name is Iain M. Banks and his book is called Consider Phlebas. After that I will read some LeGuin, as I promised Highdrake, and after that I am not sure...I am sort of craving the opportunity to read a history book or two, haven't had the chance in a long time...and I would like to read the two Shakespeare plays I saw this summer... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

AlphSeeker
Master Pilot

Posted: 16 Sep 2003 20:40 Post subject: Re: Currently Reading

Just finished Dark Light by Ken MacLeod a couple of days ago. It was pretty disappointing. On the other hand, Greg Bear's Queen of Angels, which I started today, is excellent so far.

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 16 Sep 2003 22:17 Post subject: Re: Currently Reading

I'd like to hear your final opinion Alph! QofA sorta weirded me out and I couldn't finish it--but it did have interesting characters and ideas... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, AhiraEdited by: danlo60 at: 5/20/06 9:07 pm

AlphSeeker
Master Pilot

Posted: 05 Oct 2003 11:24 Post subject: Re: Currently Reading

Okay, finally finished Queen of Angels and thought it was great! I'm more impressed by Bear with every book of his I read. I used to think of him as just a Hard SF guy, but he's clearly capable of handling the cultural speculation in a sophisticated manner, and he doesn't mind going out on a limb style-wise either.

Interesting how similar QofA (1990) is to the J-Lo movie The Cell (2000). At least the central idea - entering the mindscape of a murderer. Wonder if the screen writer ever read QofA.

So I'm curious at what point you stopped reading, Danlo? There certainly is some disturbing stuff in it.

Weird how there were so many SF books that involved Voo Doo back in that era (mid 80's - early 90's). Gibson's Mona Lisa Overdrive springs to mind. Lot's of movies too, come to think of it.

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 05 Oct 2003 14:37 Post subject: Re: Currently Reading

I'll need to find another copy to figure out what did it--maybe everything was a bit too overtly described, I am claustrophobic. Maybe the "hive-mentality" did it. I'll have to take another look, last copy went the yard sale route.. And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, AhiraEdited by: danlo60 at: 5/20/06 9:11 pm

AlphSeeker
Master Pilot

Posted: 05 Oct 2003 16:13 Post subject: Re: Currently Reading

Yeah, that's interesting, "claustrophobic" came to mind several times while reading it - the giant "comb" arcologies the wealthy/therapied live in, and the idea of being trapped in someone else's (nightmarish) mind, etc.

Well, I'm gonna read the sequel Slant next. Really, the only reason I thought to read Queen of Angels is because I picked up a copy of Slant in the book store and was shocked to read the first sentence:

"Omphalos dominates Moscow, Green Idaho."

Shocked because Moscow is the town I live in! Weird to see it as the setting for (or at least the starting point of) a major work of science fiction. It's a college town (U of I) in North Idaho with a population of only about 20 thousand (counting students). Bear lives in Seattle, and I think maybe he's been a panelist at our annual SF convention, "Moscon", before.

So anyway, I couldn't resist grabbing a copy of Slant, but figured I should read Queen of Angels first.

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 05 Oct 2003 21:45 Post subject: Re: Currently Reading

I can see why that could have really surprised you! I live in a quiet little town in Michigan and would probably faint if it ever appeared in the first line of a book! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 13 Oct 2003 00:57 Post subject: Re: Currently Reading

I've decided, with Highdrake's recommend to go after a classic I've never read (though I love the movie) -- Heinlein's Starship Troopers. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Sylvanus
Master Pilot

Posted: 14 Oct 2003 20:31 Post subject: Re: Currently Reading

Excellent choice. The good news is you won't be disappointed (so long as you like intergalactic warfare and don't mind the story taking a back seat a lot) . The bad news is that you'll never look at the movie the same.

I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 19 Oct 2003 10:55 Post subject: Re: Currently Reading

It was very different from the movie wasn't it? They just took little bits and pieces from the book...they left in some of the social satire, though. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

AlphSeeker
Master Pilot

Posted: 22 Nov 2003 13:40 Post subject: Re: Currently Reading

We just had the first snowfall of the season where I live, so I thought it was a good time to finally read Zindell's Shanidar. What a great story! Amazing how it contains so many of the seeds (ideas, places, and peoples) that would later grow to fill the vast Neverness/Requiem universe.

I'm thinking about having myself transformed into an Alaloi ... just temporarily, for the winter I mean. Brrrr.

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 22 Nov 2003 16:50 Post subject: Re: Currently Reading

very cool! Did u post in the Zindell forum? *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool)

AlphSeeker
Master Pilot

Posted: 22 Nov 2003 21:39 Post subject: Re: Currently Reading

Just now did.

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 26 Nov 2003 01:12 Post subject: Re: Currently Reading

I am reading a biography of Roger Zelazny written by Jane Lindskold. Turns out he grew up a few blocks from my husband's mother, and that the chances are pretty good that they probably went to the same church as children. Unfortunately, since Calibaby's mom died when he was a kid, and the rest of her immediate family (parents and siblings) have also all passed away, we have no way of being sure of that.
Also started reading Tuf Voyaging by Gearge R R Martin tonight on my break at work. I love Martin's writing because of his vivid and quite wonderful characters, and this book is no exception. Tuffy and his cats are a delight! ******************************************************

taraswizard
Master Pilot

Posted: 27 Nov 2003 17:03 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Duchess I just seem to keep replying to you. Duchess wrote a bit ago Quote:I've decided, with Highdrake's recommend to go after a classic I've never read (though I love the movie) -- Heinlein's Starship Troopers. I don't know how familiar you are with Heinlein from tha time period, but I would recommend after that to read Citizen of the Galaxy or maybe Double Star, I read all that stuff when I was like in High School, so it was like 30+ yrs ago. Or dare I say, a reviled and disliked book by RAH, Podkayne of Mars.

taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:19 am 
Lady Scryer

begun by Clarkesworld Books:
Posted: 02 Dec 2003 17:49 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Currently reading Broken Angels by Richard K. Morgan. It's a pretty good followup to Altered Carbon.

-Neil
Clarkesworld Books

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 02 Dec 2003 18:35 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Sounds good--would like 2 hear more about him! Free free 2 start a thread on Morgan. And welcome 2 the Hangar Pilot! *****
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/17/03 8:25 am

AlphSeeker
Master Pilot

Posted: 02 Dec 2003 22:11 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Hey there, Neil!

Just recognized your screen-name from the new James P. Blaylock message board. I post there as "Patrick". Good to have you aboard.

Clarkesworld Books
Pilot

Posted: 03 Dec 2003 20:40 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Thanks for the welcome. I'll try to post something a bit more detailed about Richard K. Morgan's books when I'm finished with Broken Angels.

Hi Alphseeker! Always glad to cross paths with another Blaylock fan.

-Neil
Clarkesworld Books

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 05 Dec 2003 00:58 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Welcome Neil -- I recognize your name, too, from a couple of boards I go to (ASOIAF and Kevin's Watch). I've always thought you are both an intelligent and polite poster, so am very glad to see you here. ******************************************************

Clarkesworld Books
Pilot

Posted: 05 Dec 2003 23:06 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Hi there. Thanks for the kind words. I try to get around a bit. I have very few friends that read the same things I do, so this is my outlet. My store's online, so it isn't like I see people every day.

Anyhow, with the holidays and the kids I've only managed to get halfway through Broken Angels and at this rate it won't get done for a while. Mostly reading short stories to fill those small gaps. Anyone read Cory Doctorow's stories?

-Neil
Clarkesworld Books

AlphSeeker
Master Pilot

Posted: 06 Dec 2003 03:59 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Well, I've only read "Craphound", but I thought that was terrific. Been meaning to seek out more Doctrow for a while now.

Clarkesworld Books
Pilot

Posted: 06 Dec 2003 16:45 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

That's one of his best stories. You can find a lot of them online. He's also in Mike Resnick's NEW VOICES IN SCIENCE FICTION and has a collection of his own, which includes "Craphound." I manages to create some interesting characters and I'm generally amused by them. His style sometimes reminds me of Paul Di Filippo.

-Neil
Clarkesworld Books

Sylvanus
Master Pilot

Posted: 15 Dec 2003 21:57 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Great to meet you, CB. I've also read Craphound. I thought it was pretty good (something of a craphound, myself... a very lazy one), though I'm horrible at remembering author's names when it comes to shorts. The style seemed familiar, so maybe... ________________

AlphSeeker
Master Pilot

Posted: 16 Dec 2003 17:02 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

I've always been a Roger Zelazny fan, but just finally got around to the Amber series. I have the first four books and was planning on just reading Nine Princes in Amber to start off with, but now I'm hooked!

I'm gonna make room for Dicken's A Christmas Caroll next week, but beyond that I'll be in Amber mode for a while.

Will post in the Zelazny forum later - I'm spoiler shy for now.

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 23 Jan 2004 11:01 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

I recently read a short story by old master Cordwainer Smith. I had never read anything by him before...and this story, called A Game of Rats and Dragons was very, very good! ******************************************************

AlphSeeker
Master Pilot

Posted: 26 Jan 2004 11:42 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Same here, Duchess - I've always heard intriguing things about Cordwainer Smith, mainly about the interconnected nature of his stories - but I've never read him before. So I dug around in this pile of SF anthologies I got at a library sale (library sales are a goldmine!), and found the Smith novella "On the Storm Planet".

It was extremely odd! Which is a good thing for SF to be, but it was almost like reading a translated work from another culture. Sort of like watching "Spirited Away". ******************

Audentes fortuna iuvat!

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 26 Jan 2004 12:22 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

I love Smith! Archaiac "Space Opera" we owe a great deal 2 the man--no Smith, no Foundation, no Foundation no Dune, no Dune no Hyperion or Neverness... *****

AlphSeeker
Master Pilot

Posted: 08 Feb 2004 17:35 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Reading John Brunner's The Wrong End of Time now, which so far, is really really awful. Good thing it's only a couple of hundred pages long. ******************

To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice ...

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 22 Feb 2004 19:57 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

I picked up a used copy of Haldeman's The Forever War a while back, finally got into it today...so far reminds me of Starship Troopers a bit. Well, they both depict a brutal training/boot camp and high tech armor that turns the soldiers into super humans. I was wondering, in fact, if the two authors influenced each other, or both came up with those ideas on their own. Also, this book is a bit jarring in that the dates it gives are in the 1990's. It's a bit odd seeing humans on Charon and travelling through the stars in a decade where we haven't even regained the moon. ******************************************************

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:20 am 
Lady Scryer

begun by Alph Seeker:

Posted: 23 Feb 2004 11:01 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

I believe I read somewhere that, in addition to being a way for Haldeman to deal with his own Viet Nam experience, Forever War was sort of intended as his generation's response to Starship Troopers. ******************

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 23 Feb 2004 14:46 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Alph--don't give up on Brunner-- Stand on Zanzibar and The Sheep Look Up are very good. *****

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 26 Feb 2004 11:07 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

I am trying to make up my mind whether to read:

Look to Windward by Banks

one of the books I just got by Gene Wolfe

Neuromancer by Gibson

I haven't read any of them before...

Until I make up my mind, I might just run to the bank and then go watch a chick flick before work. ******************************************************

Sylvanus
Master Pilot

Posted: 26 Feb 2004 21:21 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Wolfe's like a strong drug. You're going to need a come down book when you're done. I don't know Banks, but Neuromancer might work so long as cyberpunk isn't new to you. Pretty gritty, but for the most part, straight forward. ________________

AlphSeeker
Master Pilot

Posted: 27 Feb 2004 13:13 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Quote:Alph--don't give up on Brunner-- Stand on Zanzibar and The Sheep Look Up are very good.

Yeah, I own a copy of The Sheep Look Up and something by Brunner called Total Eclipse, so I'll definitely be reading at least those two, and hopefully Stand On Zanzibar as well.

I've also read Into The Slave Nebula which was written before Brunner really found his voice as a serious writer. But I loved the campy title and the lurid cover, and it was only 25 cents, so y'know. And it does contain one very moving scene where a man finds and comforts a dying android who's been beaten by humans "just for fun". Funny how something minor like that can stick with you.

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 27 Feb 2004 16:36 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

I am going with the Banks for now. Banks is someone you might want to try someday, Syl. He is a bit on the gritty side, though not shockingly so, and delves into the dark part of people's souls a bit. His science fiction books are loosely connected through a common galactic culture. He has some cool high tech toys, and interesting aliens...
I think I am going to save the Wolfe books for April, when I go down south for a few days to clean and pack up my deceased father's house. I will need something really good to take with me, to distract me from what I am doing, and to give me something good to read in the hotel...from what you are all saying, Wolfe is a great writer, and will fit the bill perfectly. It sounds like you have to think about what you are reading when doing one of his books, and that will be a good distraction.
I have not read Gibson or anything like what I have heard he is like. It'll be a good change of pace for me. ******************************************************

Sylvanus
Master Pilot

Posted: 27 Feb 2004 20:56 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

You've piqued my interest, Duchess. I'll keep it in mind when I make a trip to the library this weekend. ________________

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 17 Mar 2004 14:24 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

I just got done reading the first two books in Robert Sawyers' Neanderthal Parallax, Hominids and Humans...it is a trilogy, but the third book, Hybrids is only out in hardcover, so I will wait for the paperback release to read it.

It is a story of two parallel worlds, one being ours, and one being an earth where Neanderthals became the dominant form of humanity. The technologies are roughly parallel, though they have the ability to open the gate between the worlds which we can't, and we have spacecraft, which they do not...the main characters are all scientists, and they do a lot of investigating the two science systems, cultures, etc. A lot of talk about religion, as we have it, and the Neanderthals do not...

Interesting books, though I will warn that there is one very nasty rape scene involving a major character. ******************************************************

autojay
Pilot

Posted: 17 Mar 2004 17:11 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

I've just started re-reading Octavia Butler's Xenogenesis (aka Lilith's Brood) trilogy. It's about an alien race called the Oakampi rescuing the survivors from WWIII but only so they can take genetic samples from them and hybridise with them to alter their own species (as they had done with many other species in the past). It's a good, solid, read, with a great lead character, although the second 2 books are not quite as good as the first.

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 21 Mar 2004 14:29 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

I am trying to reread Stephen R. Donaldson's Gap books...an on book four, Chaos and Order...dark books, very dark books... ******************************************************

AlphSeeker
Master Pilot

Posted: 23 Mar 2004 08:05 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Just finished reading "The Night We Buried Road Dog" by Jack Cady, a story that made quite a splash when it was published back in the early 90's. Not really SF, more of a ghost story, but then again I read it in one of Gardner Dozois' Year's Best Science Fiction collections, so ...

Anyhow, an excellent story whatever the genre. Unfortunately, Mr. Cady has apparently passed away recently. Too bad, as Bardo would say, too bad. ******************

Jen X
Pilot

Posted: 26 Mar 2004 15:16 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

I'm on the last book of the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons

psst, AlphSeeker--great quote! I'm a big Rush nut

Jen

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 26 Mar 2004 17:22 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

So am I please start a Rush topic in the Music Heaume! *****

AlphSeeker
Master Pilot

Posted: 26 Mar 2004 21:37 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Hey, cool, you guys! Yes, I think I'll do that, danlo (eventually - might take a few days).

Meanwhile, "Hold the Red Star proudly high in hand"!

Oh yeah, I'm currently reading The Alteration by Kingsley Amis, which is fantastic so far. Amis has had a place in my personal hall of fame ever since I read his critical survey of the science fiction field, New Maps of Hell. See, the cool thing is, Amis (a British writer) was himself a mainstream literary heavyweight, but he totally got SF! You could tell he really loved the stuff, and he made it clear that the best SF was as good (and sometimes better) than other types of literature. Martin Amis, the revered author of Yellow Dog, is his son.

To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice ...Edited by: AlphSeeker at: 3/26/04 10:37 pm

MinDonner
Pilot

Posted: 27 Mar 2004 19:39 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Just started Jayne Castle's AFTER GLOW, sequel to AFTER DARK. AFTER DARK was a delight -- got me started on the author aka Jayne Ann Krentz.

Don't read AFTER DARK unless you like sci fi romance, in which case, grab it. Ghost hunters, psychic traps, Paranormal Guilds, and an adorable critter called a dust bunny: if you see the teeth, it's too late!

Joy
Edited by: MinDonner at: 3/29/04 9:37 pm

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:22 am 
Lady Scryer

Posted: 29 Mar 2004 23:02 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Just finished reading Zelazny's Eye of Cat...a science fiction novel set in the great American Southwest, and filled with Navajo ritual, mythology, and gods... ******************************************************

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 30 Mar 2004 11:23 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

I am just starting Zelazny's This Immortal, 35 pages in and loving it. *****

Sylvanus
Master Pilot

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 20:04 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Gibson's Pattern Recognition, though it's not really sci-fi (yet?). ________________

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 01 Jun 2005 00:06 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

I have recently read Jack Vance's Demon Princes science fiction series of five books. In it, a boy and his grandfather are the only free survivors when criminals raid their settlement and either kill or take everyone away as slaves. The boy is taken to earth and various other planets by the grandfather and is given heavy training in the martial arts, espionage, and various weapons, and is formed into an instrument of vengeance. The raid was carried out bu the five greatest crime lords in the galaxy, known as Demon Princes. In the series, the surviving man tracks down the Demon Princes, one by one, in order to get revenge and bring justice to them. Each of the criminals is very different from the others, and so is each hunt...

I read James Luceno's Star Wars novel, Labyrinth of Evil. It is the immediate prequel to Revenge of the Sith, and sets up that story. I also read Matthew Stover's novelization of Revenge of the Sith (ROTS) and thought it to be very good indeed. ******************************************************

Sylvanus
Master Pilot

Posted: 29 Jun 2005 12:40 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Bump ________________

AinulindaleFBS
Pilot

Posted: 01 Jul 2005 08:19 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

About halfway through Dan Simmon's Olympos (sequel to Illium) - no let down thus far.

Check out my Blog: The Bodhisattva

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 01 Jul 2005 12:42 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Good news, good news. I actually have that one sitting on my desk and I am afraid to start it. I had the same problem with Martin's A Storm of Swords. That one sat on my desk for a week before I got the courage to pick it up.

Sometimes I have such high hopes for a book, that I just start to think that no human author could deliver, and then I get weird about starting to read it. ******************************************************

Edited by: Duchess of Malfi at: 7/2/05 5:07 pm

MinDonner
Pilot

Posted: 02 Jul 2005 13:09 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

I left David Brin's THE PRACTICE EFFECT in my tbr's for years, thinking it couldn't possibly be as good as the ones I had enjoyed so much. After reading KILN PEOPLE and rereading SUNDIVER and HEART OF THE COMET, it seemed like it was time. PRACTICE EFFECT already has some really good concepts; and the main character starts out well rounded and gets better.

I need to move the BRIGHTNESS REEF trilogy up on my tbr shelves.

Edited by: MinDonner at: 7/2/05 11:10 am

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 03 Jul 2005 17:51 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

I did start Simmons's Olympos last night. I'm about halfway through, and its nearly impossible to put down. Nonstop action, very exciting, very intelligent -- absolutely wonderful!! ******************************************************

taraswizard
Master Pilot

Posted: 09 Jul 2005 11:43 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

After finishing Ender's Game, I have started K.S. Robinson's Years of Rice and Salt. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 09 Jul 2005 14:05 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

I've heard that one can be hard to follow in places. It tells the stories of a group of reincarnated souls through time in an alternate history sort of setting. I have been told there is a secret that will help the reader make more sense of it:

small spoiler

small spoier

small spoiler

small spoiler

Supposedly the souls have names that start with the same letter in each life. Knowing that is supposed to help a lot in keeping track of who is who, and untangling the complexities of their relationships from one incarnation to the next.

That one has been in my to-be-read pile for awhile, and I hope I can get to it eventually! I really liked Robinson's Mars series... ******************************************************

MinDonner
Pilot

Posted: 09 Jul 2005 18:54 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Oh yeah? I'm going to put YEARS OF RICE AND SALT on my tbr list. I've only once read anything that made satisfying use of the massive potential in stories about reincarnation.

The obvious question is, What was that? It was "With the Original Cast" by Nancy Kress, in a book of short stories called STRANGE DREAMS edited by Stephen R. Donaldson. Nancy Kress wrote the trilogy PROBABILITY SUN, PROBABILITY MOON, and PROBABILITY STARS, which I also have to get around to reading.

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 11 Jul 2005 20:11 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

Still deep in "The Battle of the Orge" in Claw of the Conciliator by Gene Wolfe and anxiously awaiting Consider Plebas that Loremaster is sending me! *****

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 16 Jul 2005 18:09 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

I think you will love the Banks book. You and Damelon might even get the Banks forum that he's been talking about off and on for years going after you read that.

I've been reading a long short story (or short novella, I'm not sure which) called Winterfair Gifts by Lois McMaster Bujold. It tells the story of the wedding of one of the major characters in her Vorkosigan space opera series. What would a high Vor wedding be without an assassination attempt and lots of background intrigue? It's part of a collection of science fiction love stories. I haven't tackled any of the others yet... ******************************************************

MinDonner
Pilot

Posted: 17 Jul 2005 11:31 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

OK, I'm going to have to add Bujold to my reading list -- after years of avoiding it.

Edited by: MinDonner at: 7/17/05 9:35 am

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:24 am 
Lady Scryer

Posted: 17 Jul 2005 13:31 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi r u reading right now?

You might want to start with the omnibus called Cordelia's Honor -- and please don't let the Gawd-awful covers put you off the books.

That particular omnibus starts her Vorkosigan space opera series, and features one of my favorite -- and most complicated -- love stories in all of science fiction.

One thing I have always loved about Bujold is that her female characters are every bit as well drawn and strong as the male ones -- without giving up an ounce of their womanliness. As one of the female characters says in Winterfair Gifts -- a dress can be a weapon if correctly wielded. ******************************************************

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 14 Dec 2005 21:42 Post subject: what science fiction are you reading right now?

I have started reading Starfall by Catherine Asaro. Asaro is a highly trained scientist and is married to the proverbial rocket scientist, so her science fiction is supposedly rock solid when it comes to the science. But her heart is in writing romantic stories.

Starfall is the ninth book written in a series about a galactic empire, but the first in time. It tells the story of a high level government official, who also happens to be a princess in one of the Great Houses in the empire, running away from her son's security forces. He has manipulated events to take her away from the capital at a time when a crucial vote is coming up. He wants her off planet for the vote, as he holds her proxy and wants to vote on the opposite side of the issue that she supports.

So she is running from backwater world to backwater world, trying to find her way back to the capital before her son's security forces find her.

And then she is kidnapped away by one of the leaders of a local world...

Jay Tomio
Pilot

Posted: 31 Dec 2005 13:29 Post subject: Re: what science fiction are you reading right now?

I'm going to start Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton here soon. The Bodhisattva

Fantasybookspot.com

My interview this week: Kelly Link

MinDonner
Pilot

Posted: 31 Dec 2005 15:26 Post subject: Re: Julian May

I've been obsessed all week with Julian May's Galactic Milieu Trilogy: JACK THE BODILESS, DIAMOND MASK, and MAGNIFICAT. Finished reading MAGNIFICAT last night, wrote the first two reviews this morning, and now after a nap I am going to write the final review. This concludes a magnificent series, all 10 books of it, the kind of story that creates a new universe living alongside our own.

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 03 Feb 2006 01:30 Post subject: what science fiction are you reading now?

I have started reading Mary Doria Russell's Children of God, sequel to her stunningly good The Sparrow. We have a thread for Russell in this forum, should anyone wish to learn more about her or her books. ******************************************************

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 06 Feb 2006 22:47 Post subject: Re: what science fiction are you reading now?

I have started reading Snow Crash by Neil Stephenson. It's the first thing I've read by this author. So far I am pleased. He shows lots of evidence of having a twisted sense of humor. I have not cared for cyberpunk in the past; this book seems to be the exception to that rule. ******************************************************

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 15 Feb 2006 00:39 Post subject: Re: what science fiction are you reading now?

Snow Crashcontinues to be very good. Stephenson has now introduced Sumerian mythology to the mixture of Mafia, mayhem, viruses (both computer and biological), pizza delivery, and various other wild things. ******************************************************

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 28 Feb 2006 11:35 Post subject: Re: what science fiction are you reading now?

I bought a book for my younger son, that I will hide in my room and read before giving it to him (once he gets it, I will probably never get my hands on it again. ).

It is called Dark Lord; The Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno. Apparently it tells the story of Annakin/Vader from the time of Revenge of the Sith until he descends completely into darkness (not as if he had so far to go... ) as he tracks down and murders the few remaining Jedi throughout the galaxy... ******************************************************

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 05 Mar 2006 12:48 Post subject: Re: what science fiction are you reading now?

Last night I started reading Iain Banks's The Algebraist. It is science fiction, but not one of his Culture series books.

So far it looks as if it will be a bit labyrinthian in plot, classic (and very good) space opera involving some very alien (and interesting) species. Me happy. ******************************************************

taraswizard
Master Pilot

Posted: 09 Mar 2006 17:12 Post subject: Re: what science fiction are you reading now?

Air by Jeff Ryman, winner of ths years Triptree award www.triptree.org Direct human brain to internet interface is about to be introduced. A prelimnary test of the system is planned and one of the test areas is an undeveloped village in Central Asia. How would such technology effect an area where TV is not even commonplace. Can an woman of very ordinary circumstance capitalize of the upcoming roll out of this technololy when it is available to the whole world? Can this small village survive this gargantuan change? taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Buff_fans_Chicago http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/buffy_fans_chicago/

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 12 Mar 2006 11:27 Post subject: Re: what science fiction are you reading now?

That one sounds like it could be really interesting, Taras. I will have to keep my eye out for that one.

I am reading some more Star Wars books so I can turn them over to my younger son. This is a two book series by Timothy Zahn. I finished the first book, called Survivor's Quest. Luke is called to the far end of the galaxy to examine a wrecked Jedi ship (which once carried some 50,000 people) from the days of the Old Republic. This takes place many years after Return of the Jedi, and there are many governments and states in the glaxy other than the New Republic. There are representatives from many ofthese governments along on the mission, and at least one wants the mission to fail...

The second book actually goes backwards in time to the days of the Old Republic and tells the story of the huge ship that Luke is sent to investigate. It is called Outbound Flight, and I have just begun reading it.

I recently finished Iain Banks's The Algebraist, by the way. It was a very good read. I am impressed and amazed by Banks's imaginative power. The other Banks books I have read were all part of his Culture series, and those present a very well developed world (galaxy). In this book he presents another completely different yet equally well thought out and developed world (galaxy). And unlike most of the other Banks books I have read, this one actually has a pretty upbeat and hopeful ending. Banks books are very hard to find in these parts,though, so perhaps Banks usually has upbeat endings, and I just haven't found them yet. ******************************************************

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 18 Mar 2006 13:07 Post subject: Re: what science fiction are you reading now?

I ended up liking Outbound Flight more than its companion novel Survivor's Quest. Seeing the Jedi interact with the less than happy crew and passengers on their huge ship was pretty interesting...as were the alien Chiss and their great admiral, Thrawn... Not bad, not bad at all. ******************************************************

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 20 Mar 2006 12:27 Post subject: Re: what science fiction are you reading now?

I am currently reading Aldous Huxley's rather chilling classic novel Brave New World. I have not read it in more than twenty years, and decided it was time for a reread to see if it was as creepy in its prophetic vision of the future. I think I am finding that vision even creepier now than I did when I had to read it back in high school. ******************************************************

taraswizard
Master Pilot

Posted: 04 May 2006 17:54 Post subject: Re: what science fiction are you reading now?

Brave new world. Read this when I was right near the end of HS, so that makes it like 30 or so yrs ago. I had read 1984 yrs. earlier. ATT, I thought the Orwell protrayed a far more realistic view the future; however, as time has progressed I think Huxley's view is far more close to the way things might be. FWIW, I've read that Orwell's view of the future world was just his fictionalization of how he saw life in Stalinist USSR.

BTW, I think 1984 is the better book of the two. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
live journal http://taras-wizard.livejournal.com

taraswizard
Master Pilot

Posted: 04 May 2006 18:05 Post subject: Troll by Johanna Sinisalo

Troll by Johanna Sinsalo, translated from the original Finnish. Finnished a few days ago. Plot outline, young gay Finnish photographer finds and shelters young lost troll (this troll is not a magical creature). Hi-jinks ensue. This book offers a regular biological explanation for trolls.

It's a good book. Loaded with lots of authentic folklore about trolls and their impact to Finnish folklore (that's why I empahsized the Finnish origins to this book). I'm not even sure if this book is SF. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:26 am 
Lady Scryer

begun by Danlo:
Posted: 22 May 2006 22:19 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi are you reading right now?

Trying...somehow to finish Tony Daniel's Superluminary and then it's off to Iain M. Banks' The Algerbraist (that Loremaster send off me from ). Now that school has just ended, maybe, I can actually do it. *****
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

taraswizard
Master Pilot

Posted: 10 Jul 2006 14:14 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi are you reading right now?

Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler. Is it really a SF story. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always

danlo60
Master Pilot

Posted: 10 Jul 2006 16:57 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi are you reading right now?

Just about finished with Iain M. Bank's Look to Windward-another fun, fast moving "Culture", soon onto his The Use of Weapons. *****

MinDonner
Pilot

Posted: 10 Jul 2006 20:07 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi are you reading right now?

Almost at the end of ERAGON. The story about the 16-year-old author is almost as interesting as the story by him. ERAGON could have used a little more editing, but overall it's another score for home schooling.

It's a teen adventure, but quite elaborate and well thought out. The world and its inhabitants are interesting, and so is the dragon. We have to read the next two books to find out how a heroic rebel movement will bring down an evil emperor who is strong with magic.

taraswizard
Master Pilot

Posted: 06 Oct 2006 22:23 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi are you reading right now?

Cordelia's Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold, this is a fixup of Shards of Honor and Barrayar. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Buffy fans Chicago
my livej

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 06 Oct 2006 22:38 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi are you reading right now?

I love both of those books, and I do hope you enjoy the omnibus of them.

Bujold rocks. ******************************************************

MinDonner
Pilot

Posted: 06 Oct 2006 22:55 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi are you reading right now?

They have to be better than the paranormal-historical-mystery I'm reading now. A young man is possessed by the spirit of Sir Francis Dashwood, founder of the Hell-Fire Club. His behavior has suddenly become very odd indeed. His prospective sister-in-law, Elizabeth Darcy of PRIDE AND PREJUDICE fame, is on the case.

Edited by: MinDonner at: 10/6/06 8:58 pm

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 07 Oct 2006 01:02 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi are you reading right now?

Joy, somehow possession and Jane Austin do not seem to go together. ******************************************************

taraswizard
Master Pilot

Posted: 05 Nov 2006 22:52 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi are you reading right now?

Young Miles, a fixup of Warrior's Apprentice, The Vor Game, and The Mountanis of Mourning, by Lois McMaster Bujold. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Buffy fans Chicago
my livej

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 06 Nov 2006 13:04 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi are you reading right now?

The Mountains of Mourning is one of the best novellas I have read anywhere. Enjoy!!!

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 10 Nov 2006 15:39 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi are you reading right now?

After a huge struggle, I have finally made it through Charles Stross's Accellerando. I really didn't care for it very much (I tend to prefer character driven stories, and this one was not) but my self-appointed quest of trying to read all five Hugo nominated novels this year kept me going. I should make it very clear that the writing was not bad - it was just a kind of story I do not particularly care for. In fact, I think people who enjoy cyberpunk might really like this book.

Well, that's three of this year's Hugo books down, two - Spin and Old Man's War yet to go.

MinDonner
Pilot

Posted: 12 Nov 2006 13:49 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi are you reading right now?

I read the whole Boreal Moon Tale trilogy together, which works much better than when we had to wait a couple of years between books. There are a lot of characters and plots to keep track of.

I'm a big Julian May fan, which most people here know. She is a worldbuilder, and in this case a god-builder of sorts. She turned the Aurora Borealis into gods, complete with their own politics and their attempts to turn the sentient beings of "Earth" (also an invented world) into pawns. Not all ground dwellers were smart enough to stay independent of the impressive bribes offered by the sky beings.

In the meantime, ground dwellers have their own agendas and power struggles. Some have inborn magic of their own. The characters, visuals, and intrigue are all richly written. Now that we can read them one after the other, I highly recommend the series.

(My "I Believe In Dragons" banner isn't available any more , so instead I'm using: )

The UnTitled

Posted: 13 Nov 2006 00:23 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi are you reading right now?

The Gap Into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge

--A ____________________________________

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib

MinDonner
Pilot

Posted: 13 Nov 2006 07:49 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi are you reading right now?

I couldn't begin to guess how many times I've read that one, Av. It's a no-put-downer, for sure.

I have one more Julian May, so I'm reading it now. BLOOD TRILLIUM, which she wrote herself as part of the Trillium series that she shared with Andre Norton & Marion Zimmer Bradley. So far we have a flying voor giving its life to take its person to the White Lady for help; and the possible renascence of an evil wizard.

Having to get my hands on the computer again after my power was knocked out by a storm,

The UnTitled

Posted: 13 Nov 2006 23:01 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi are you reading right now?

Haha, yeah, it is good. This is my second or third read of it, but unfortunately, that's as far as it goes. I only have book 1 and 2 so far.

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:28 am 
Lady Scryer

Posted: 14 Nov 2006 12:26 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi are you reading right now?

I had thought I had never read any Julian May, but now I realize that I have. I have read the Trillium books about the three princesses. For whatever reason, even though the first book was written by three people, and each of the three then wrote another book singly about that person's princess, I associate the whole thing with Marion Zimmer Bradley.

I enjoyed all of those books.

I am reading Beginning Operations, an omnibus of the first three books in James White's Sector General series. Joy and Avatar have been telling me to try them forever. I am on the second book now, Star Surgeon, and I'm loving it.

Sector General is a huge space station which functions as a hospital. It has nearly 400 levels and a staff of about 10,000. It has many sorts of habitats to treat members of the dozens and dozens of intelligent species throughout the galaxy - from water beings to insectoids to chlorine breathers. Fascinating aliens and situations can be found there. ******************************************************

MinDonner
Pilot

Posted: 14 Nov 2006 23:43 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi are you reading right now?

It's like every new patient in Sector General is a new mystery to be solved. And each of the doctors, no matter what species, has a well-realized personality.

Are you planning to read the series in order, Duchess? If not, allow me to recommend you not miss DOUBLE CONTACT.

The UnTitled

Posted: 15 Nov 2006 00:00 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi are you reading right now?

Yeah, I love Sector General. The only complaint I have is that, if you read them all, a lot of the descriptions of the same thing are basically identical. Like copy/paste identical.

Now sure, I understand why, but after a while it just grates a little. :

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 06 Jan 2007 15:50 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi are you reading right now?

DARTH BANE: PATH OF DESTRUCTION by Drew Karpyshyn

I got this awhile ago and my kid wouldn't let go of it, he loved it.
He finally passed it over to me a few days ago, and I finally had time to read it. It is not up to the level of my all time favorite Star Wars novel, the novelization of Revenge of the Sith, but it is still better than some 75% of Star Wars novels out there (I have read a lot of mediocre and bad and downright rancid Star Wars novels, though - so you might want to take that with the appropriate grain of salt ).

Drew Karpyshyn is a Canadian science fiction writer and video game writer. He was the head writer of the video game called Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. My kids have not played that one, but it sounds well regarded in some of the posts I have seen here and there among Kevin's Watch members?

Anyway, the book begins with the man who will be Darth Bane working as a quasi-slave in the mines of a dirt ball of a world. He grew up being abused by his father, and is regularly given a hard time by the other miners. The mine is backbreaking work, so he has grown extremely strong. And he is filled with rage and hatred.

He also has a bone to pick with the Republic, as they turn away from the quasi-slavery and horrible working conditions he labors under to give them a much needed mineral. Many people on the Outer Rim worlds hate the Republic for that and similar reasons.

This is a time when the Galaxy is rent in a huge war between the Republic and its Jedi, and armies and armadas belonging to the Sith, who get many recruits from the Outer Rim.

The Sith are held together by an agreement wrought by one Sith Lord - and that agreement is hard to hold together with all of that ambition and all of those egos - like herding cats. But they hold together enough to form some Sith acadamies and joint armies/armadas.

Anyway, Dessel has to flee from the mining world after an ugly incident of self-protection. He joins one of the Sith armies, and that is the first step to becoming the greatest badass the galaxy will ever see.

edited for my usual spelling errors ******************************************************

Edited by: Duchess of Malfi at: 1/19/07 6:06 pm

taraswizard
Master Pilot

Posted: 19 Jan 2007 08:00 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi are you reading right now?

Catalyst by Nina Hofmann. Book discussion, 2.00 p .m., Oak Park Public Library. Strange Horizons magazine has a review. taraswizard
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Buffy fans Chicago
my livej

The UnTitled

Posted: 21 Jan 2007 23:14 Post subject: Re: What Sci-Fi are you reading right now?

Sounds good Duchess. Must keep an eye out for it. I often like even quite bad Star Wars novels.

Knights of the Old Republic is indeed a great game. The sequel is even better, although the endings of both are anti-climatic. I believe a third was planned and dropped.

The UnTitled

Posted: 25 Feb 2007 23:07 Post subject:

Reading Iron Master Book 3 of The Amtrak Wars by Patrick Tilley.

--A

danlo
The Timekeeper

Posted: 28 Feb 2007 00:57 Post subject:

The Algerbraist

taraswizard
Master Pilot

Posted: 02 Mar 2007 04:45 Post subject:

Cetaganda by Lois McMaster Bujold
W/T are forever

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 04 Mar 2007 00:08 Post subject:

The Android's Dream by one of my favorite new writers, John Scalzi.

This novel is set in a differrent universe from the other two novels by this author which I have read - Old Man's War and The Ghost Brigades - but this one is great, too.

You know a book is going to be fun when someone is killed by anoher person's farts right in the first chapter. And now the humans must comb the planet for the one special sheep which might save the world.

Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library

danlo
The Timekeeper

Posted: 04 Mar 2007 12:11 Post subject:

Sounds really twisted Sound like something I need to read. Starting to feel better duchy??

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 04 Mar 2007 13:37 Post subject:

Scalzi is a lot of fun. One of my favorite new writers because of it. He has a puckish sense of humor. Old Man's War made me laugh, cry, and think.

i seem to be very slowly getting better - with both the blown out knee and with the cold/asthma which has made me so very sick.

Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library

The UnTitled

Posted: 04 Mar 2007 23:30 Post subject:

Glad to hear it Duchess.

--A

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 10 Mar 2007 17:08 Post subject:

Scalzi's The Android's Dream was a lot of fun. Interplanetary inrigue, a badass hero, and a special sheep who is the only being who can save the Earth.

Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library

The UnTitled

Posted: 11 Mar 2007 23:27 Post subject:

Re-reading Weiss' Star Of The Guardians. Easy reading.

--A

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:29 am 
Lady Scryer

Posted: 15 Mar 2007 00:30 Post subject:

I am seriously thinking about trying to reread the later Dune books. I can remember the first trilogy pretty well but only sort of rememberEmperor and hardly remember the two books after Emperor at all.

So I might slip my old beat up used copy of God Emperor of Dune in my canvas bag and take it into work with me tomorrow night to see if I can read any of it on my breaks.

Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library

The UnTitled

Posted: 15 Mar 2007 00:56 Post subject:

They're worth it after you get your head around the style changes. I loved God Emperor...about the third time I read it. The first two times, it left me cold.

--A

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 18 Mar 2007 11:14 Post subject:

Well, I finished up God Emperor this morning; time to move on to Heretics of Dune.

Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 24 Mar 2007 13:09 Post subject:

Yep, I have been dreaming of Colorado and the Great San Dunes National Park (one of my favorite places in all the world) the last few days, and reading Dune books...

God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse Dune
Hunters of Dune
The Road to Dune.

The Road to Dune has some pretty interesting cut scenes from Dune and Dune Messiah - and even an alternate ending to DM. It is sort of like a book version of a director's cut dvd. Lots of interesting historical trivia as well - like how Herbert was turned down by some twenty publishers for Dune, and how it was finally originally published by a company best known for auto parts and repair guides! And how the editor who brought Dune to that company was fired when it looked at first like it wasn't going to be a good seller.

Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library

danlo
The Timekeeper

Posted: 16 Apr 2007 22:51 Post subject:

You all know, by now, that I'm in the middle of Alfred Bester throes-after being blown away by my first reread of The Stars My Destination (originally titled Tyger, Tyger! btw... ) in 35 years. I'm 70 pages into The Demolished Man, which is extremely cool. Both Riech and Foyle are excellent characters.

The UnTitled

Posted: 16 Apr 2007 23:36 Post subject:

William Gibson's Count Zero.

--A

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 01 May 2007 12:51 Post subject:

Ursula K. Le Guin's The Telling. Short little book but dense and rich as hell. Lots to chew on and enjoy in it!

Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library

The UnTitled

Posted: 02 May 2007 02:04 Post subject:

Piers Anthony Bio of a Space Tyrant vol 1.

--A

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 04 May 2007 20:56 Post subject:

Connie Willis's Doomsday Book ~ it is a wonderful story and is completely blowing me away. Anyone who loves history would love the concepts behind the story. And it has great characters.

Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 06 May 2007 13:32 Post subject:

The Willis book was just great! I highly recommend it to anyone!

Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library

The UnTitled

Posted: 06 May 2007 23:01 Post subject:

I'm reading Philip K Dick's Radio Free Albemuth. It's pretty weird, as it seems to be written from the first-person perspective of the author.

As if it were really autobiographical. Correct time period (late 50's - early 60's so far), the narrator is a full-time sci-fi writer, and references books that P.K Dick has written.

Very odd.

--A

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 22 May 2007 12:10 Post subject:

While waiting for the Zindell book to arrive from England, I have started reading John Scalzi's The Last Colony. It is the sequel to both Old Man's War and The Ghost Brigades. Now those other two books, while they had a universe and some characters in common, could have both easily been read as stand alones. But I think that you would have to read both of them to fully get what is going on in this one.

I love Scalzi's writing - he is one of the few writers who has as twisted a sense of humor as mine.

Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 25 May 2007 16:47 Post subject:

After dinner tonight I will probably get started with Julian May's Many Colored Land.

I know that this is a huge favorite of Joy's, so I am looking forward to it.

Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 03 Jun 2007 14:10 Post subject:

I have not had much reading time lately, but I have finished Julian May's The Many Colored Land and am now in the midst of the second book in the series, The Golden Torc.

I am loving these books so far!

Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 04 Jun 2007 10:24 Post subject:

Later today I will start the third book in the Julian May series, The Nonborn King. There is still much love.

Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:31 am 
Lady Scryer

begun by Avatar:
Posted: 02 Jul 2007 00:38 Post subject:

Prostho Plus by Piers Anthony.

--A

danlo
The Timekeeper

Posted: 22 Jul 2007 19:15 Post subject:

The Dosadi Experiment by Frank Herbert-I had forgotten how good a book this is!~

Moonwatcher
Master Pilot

Posted: 23 Jul 2007 10:34 Post subject:

Duchess of Malfi wrote:

The Road to Dune has some pretty interesting cut scenes from Dune and Dune Messiah - and even an alternate ending to DM. It is sort of like a book version of a director's cut dvd. Lots of interesting historical trivia as well - like how Herbert was turned down by some twenty publishers for Dune, and how it was finally originally published by a company best known for auto parts and repair guides! And how the editor who brought Dune to that company was fired when it looked at first like it wasn't going to be a good seller.

Sounds like a fascinating book! Didn't know Herbert met with that much resistance from publishers, but I suppose back then Dune was seen as a really weird novel. Guess it was a minor miracle that it went on to become a bestseller.

I've been on an Arthur C. Clarke fest. Started by finally reading Childhood's End, which I had been meaning to get to for years. It's the most disturbing Clarke novel I've yet read. It may be five-decades old, but the story is timeless. Will say more on it once I've gathered my thoughts.

Just finished re-reading 2001: A Space Odyssey, a legitimate novel in its own right, not just a mere transcription of the movie. Now I'm re-visiting Rendezvous With Rama, a novel I love to death.

These 3 books deal in their own way with how humankind responds to contact with advanced alien intelligences. I should do a comparison of these books (in my own vague, ignorant way.)

The UnTitled

Posted: 23 Jul 2007 23:25 Post subject:

Don't be so bloody modest.

--A

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 29 Aug 2007 00:05 Post subject:

A new book by Joe Haldeman (perhaps best known for The Forever War) called The Accidental Time Machine.

Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library

The UnTitled

Posted: 29 Aug 2007 06:46 Post subject:

I really disliked The Forever War. I know most people/reviews rave about it, but I just couldn't get into it. My favourite of all time by him was Tool of the Trade, closely followed by The Man in the Maze.

--A

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 29 Aug 2007 09:34 Post subject:

I really disliked The Forever War. I know most people/reviews rave about it, but I just couldn't get into it. My favourite of all time by him was Tool of the Trade, closely followed by The Man in the Maze.

--A

I didn't have strong feelings one way or the other. While the concept of the Forever War itself, and the soldiers caught in huge time shifts due to the affects of relativity was a strong and good one, so much of the social stuff (like nearly the entire human race going gay) seemed really dated to me.

Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library

The UnTitled

Posted: 29 Aug 2007 22:59 Post subject:

To be honest, I never even got far enough to know they were gay.

--A

danlo
The Timekeeper

Posted: 03 Nov 2007 11:47 Post subject:

Reading The Real Story: The Gap Into Conflict...It's so brutal I was really scared to get back into it. But I promised Luci I'd do a chapter (which I put up yesterday) at the Gap group read at the Watch. It's interesting this time around because I can shrug off the nasty parts (somewhat) and see more subtle things I miss the first time...

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 03 Nov 2007 11:53 Post subject:

danlo wrote:
Reading The Real Story: The Gap Into Conflict...It's so brutal I was really scared to get back into it. But I promised Luci I'd do a chapter (which I put up yesterday) at the Gap group read at the Watch. It's interesting this time around because I can shrug off the nasty parts (somewhat) and see more subtle things I miss the first time...

You are a stronger man than me. Seriously, we're talking some really truly nasty parts with that particular book.

Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 27 Jan 2008 14:03 Post subject:

On an Iain Banks binge. Just read Player of Games for the first time, and it was fantastic. Up next are a couple more Banks Culture books I have not previously read:Use of Weapons and Excession.

Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 06 Feb 2008 13:36 Post subject:

I loved Player of Games, by the way. It might just be my favorite Culture book.

Work has been crazy, as has life in general, so I have had little to no reading time, so have been bogged down in Use of Weapons. What I have read thus far I have liked - it is like reading a puzzle of sorts, and then trying to sort out the pieces into a picture. Banks uses a really circular writing style in this particular book where he gives out little snippets of the present and past all mixed up, and you have to sort them out as you read. Makes for a fascinating book.

His new Culture book, Matter, is due out very soon!

Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 23 Mar 2008 18:36 Post subject:

I'm about to embark on the three Hugo nominees for 2008 I have not previously read: Rollback by Robert Sawyer, Halting State by Chalres Stross, and Brasyl by someone whose name I do not remember. To be followed by an Elric binge.

Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 27 Mar 2008 11:44 Post subject:

Last night I started reading Halting State by Charles Stross. It is written in second person point of view, and that is currently annoying the crap out of me. I will keep trying to read it, to see if it grows on me, but I am finding it really hard to take the book seriously, since the only other books I have ever read in second person are those stories for children where you choose your own adventure.

Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 29 Mar 2008 14:45 Post subject:

I'm still plugging away at Halting State and it is still annoying me. There are three main characters, and all three of them have their chapters written in second person. I keep expecting to get to a page which says something like

Quote:
If you choose to go up the stairs turn to page xx. If you choose to go through the door to the left then turn to page yy. If you decide to jump out the window turn to page zz.

The second person point of view is really irritating to me, like chalk sqeaking on a blackboard, or walking into an elevator where someone has recently passed gas.

Throw in that the plot is about a unknown persons hacking into a supposedly unhackable game company and robbing a supposedly unrobbable bank in an on-line game, which is being investigated by real police officers (yes, I understand that it will ruin the gaming company's reputation, and that millions are at stake) and I just...don't care.

of this year's (2008) Hugo nominees:
1. the Chabon was lovely and unique and very well written
2. the Scalzi was a really fun action packed adventure
3. the Sawyer had great ideas, but poor execution
4. the Stross is just plain lame (thus far, about a third of the way into the book)
5. have not started Brasyl yet

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:32 am 
Lady Scryer

begun by Moonwatcher:
Posted: 30 Mar 2008 21:30 Post subject:

Wow...second person point of view! That's kind of...hilarious. I can understand why it would be annoying. Good luck on finishing the book!

(I admire your tenacity!)

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 03 Apr 2008 13:22 Post subject:

Moonwatcher wrote:
Wow...second person point of view! That's kind of...hilarious. I can understand why it would be annoying. Good luck on finishing the book!

(I admire your tenacity!)

I finally finished it this morning. The first half was a huge struggle. Then either the second half was more interesting, or I finally got used to the second person. (Either that or it was the promise I made to myself to read the new Jim Butcher Dresden Files book next - and that I could not start reading it until I finished the Stross book. )

Duchess's Book Log
Duchess's Blog
Duchess's Library

The UnTitled

Posted: 03 Apr 2008 16:09 Post subject:

Well, I've been busy in the Sci-Fi fantasy stakes...using the library down here to keep in reading material. This week, it's a major McCaffrey kick. Just read To Ride Pegasus and Pegasus in Space, prequels to her Tower & Hive series, about to read the 2 Dinosaur Planet books, and have The Ship Who Searched to go after that.

Last week it was Star Wars books, read The Approaching Storm by Alan Dean Foster, (Yes, Splinter of the Minds Eye Foster), a book set between Menace and Clones, Revenge of the Sith, Onslaught and Bloodlines. Widely spread in the pre and post Star-Wars universe, but good fun.

Week before that was Pratchett, The Wee Free Men, Wintersmith, Eric, and The Carpet People. Also the short story, uh...Sea and Fishes (?) in a collection called Legends, with stories set in famous universes, including Discworld, Pern, (The ice and fire guy's world), Tad Williams one, (memory, sorrow etc IIRC).

I missed your post about Banks Duchess. Player of Games is my favourite culture novel. I've even tried to create the game they play, but I'm too lazy. My favourite book of all time by Banks is Against a Dark Background though. And Feersum Endjinn rocked once I got my head around it.

--A

Image Image Image