[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Lull (rescued)

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lull (rescued)
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:46 am 
Lady Scryer

originally started by Balon:

Posted: 15 Sep 2007 03:14 Post subject: Lull

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just finished the Gap series by Donaldson, and I now I find myself in a lull. I want something with the same level of technology, but can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Suggestions?

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 15 Sep 2007 12:19 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of brand new science fiction writers I have really been enjoying lately are John Scalzi and Tobias Buckell.

Or for something a few years old, but first rate, there would be Tony Daniel's Metaplanetary and Superluminal duology.

You could not go wrong with Dan Simmons's Hyperion books.

Or you could always go for an old classic by someone like Arthur C. Clarke or Robert Heinlein.

One of this year's Hugo nominees was Eifelheim by Michael Flynn, and it was wonderful!!!

Or you could go for one of the people who has won award after award after award - Lois McMaster Bujold and her space opera series about the Vorkosigan family - look for a book called Cordelia's Honor to start things off.

Then there is this four book series starting with a book called Neverness by a man named David Zindell. Unfortunately, the books can be hard to find.

Now in this answer, I am assuming that you are looking for books about space ships or space exploration or time spent on other planets of some sort? If you are looking for science fiction/fantasy crossovers or cyberpunk, I would have to give you other lists...

danlo
The Timekeeper

Posted: 15 Sep 2007 15:34 Post subject:

I argee with Simmons and Daniel, but for Gods sakes READ the NEVERNESS BOOKS!!!

Balon
Pilot

Posted: 15 Sep 2007 16:20 Post subject:

Duchess of Malfi wrote:
A couple of brand new science fiction writers I have really been enjoying lately are John Scalzi and Tobias Buckell.

Or for something a few years old, but first rate, there would be Tony Daniel's Metaplanetary and Superluminal duology.

You could not go wrong with Dan Simmons's Hyperion books.

Or you could always go for an old classic by someone like Arthur C. Clarke or Robert Heinlein.

One of this year's Hugo nominees was Eifelheim by Michael Flynn, and it was wonderful!!!

Or you could go for one of the people who has won award after award after award - Lois McMaster Bujold and her space opera series about the Vorkosigan family - look for a book called Cordelia's Honor to start things off.

Then there is this four book series starting with a book called Neverness by a man named David Zindell. Unfortunately, the books can be hard to find.

Now in this answer, I am assuming that you are looking for books about space ships or space exploration or time spent on other planets of some sort? If you are looking for science fiction/fantasy crossovers or cyberpunk, I would have to give you other lists...

Wowza. I'll print this out and spend a day at the bookshop! THANKS!

danlo wrote:
I argee with Simmons and Daniel, but for Gods sakes READ the NEVERNESS BOOKS!!!

Is Neverness fantasy? I have a hard time with fantasy...

Duchess of Malfi
Lady Scryer

Posted: 15 Sep 2007 17:46 Post subject:

Naw, Neverness and the following three books are all science fiction.

Another author I should add would be Iain Banks. His books in the science fiction Culture series rock, but those are also sort of hard to find stateside.

The UnTitled

Posted: 16 Sep 2007 23:37 Post subject:

That's Iain M Banks.

Anything by him without the middle initial is contemporary fiction. (Realism as it were.)

Uh, The Nights Dawn trilogy by Peter Hamilton is pretty good.

The Reality Dysfunction
The Neutronium Alchemist
The Naked God

Pretty hard sci-fi with a weird twist.

I enjoyed the books I read of the Saga of Seven Suns by Kevin J. Anderson. Pure Sci-Fi. In fact, I borrowed a little of the concept of the Roamers for the Free Traders.

The last book is due out next year, but I've only read the first 3.

--A

Balon
Pilot

Posted: 18 Sep 2007 03:31 Post subject:

I enjoyed the books I read of the Saga of Seven Suns by Kevin J. Anderson. Pure Sci-Fi. In fact, I borrowed a little of the concept of the Roamers for the Free Traders.

The last book is due out next year, but I've only read the first 3.

--A

Now those sound pretty good. The Space Opera genre thing has really been good reading for me lately.

The UnTitled

Posted: 18 Sep 2007 23:30 Post subject:

The Nights Dawn could probably fall into that genre too.

And they (Seven Suns) are good. Very good. Heavy on the cast though...perhaps too many characters, and the POV leaps from character to character, species to species, all over the place.

I enjoyed them though. So far.

--A

Image Image Image