[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - what science fiction are you reading right now?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: what science fiction are you reading right now?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:47 am 
Lady Scryer

I am continuing in my Anne McCaffrey tribute reread. So far I have read the three Crystal Singer books and have read four Pern books (Dragonflight, Dragonquest, Dragonsong, and Dragonsinger) and in the middle of a fifth (Dragondrums).

When I think about how many years ago she wrote some of these books (such as the upcoming Ship Who Sang)) or of the genetic engineering of the dragons of Pern - the woman was decades ahead of her time in her ideas!

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:32 pm 
Lady Scryer

I have finished Dragondrums and The White Dragon and am now finishing up the Tower and the Hive series. I had recently reread the first two books before the author's death, so am now rereading Damia's Children, Lyon's Pride, and The Tower and the Hive.

Will probably read a bit more Pern - probably Moreta and Nerilka. Maybe the Masterharper. Thing is, there are so many books in that series I am having problems remembering which are the better ones of the later ones...hopefully Menolly will pop in here and advise. :) :lol:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:40 am 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
Well...
Anything before Todd, IMO.

However, you can't really argue with dlb's POV. Something along the lines of:
"None of the books are worth reading after All the Weyr's."

But, even with the debacle Todd makes of the series, I like the setting too much to not read anything Pern.
Even Todd's stuff.

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:26 am 
Lady Scryer

I have reread many of the Pern books now - am skipping any and all by Todd. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The problem is I can only find some of the books, the others are somewhere here in my house, but not sure where. :roll: (If I ever win the lottery one of the first things I do will be hiring someone to sort out my books. :wink: :lol: ).

So for the Pern books I have so far reread:
Dragonflight
Dragonquest
Dragon Song
Dragon Singer
The White Dragon
Dragon Drums
Renegades of Pern
All the Weys of Pern

and am in the middle of
The Dolphins of Pern.

(Man, Aramina is the most irritating character McCaffrey ever created. No wonder I never reread Renegades or Dolphins before. :lol: :lol: :lol: )

I have also found:
Nerilka's Story
Rescue Run
Dragonseye
Masterharper of Pern

And Nerilka must be read with the still MIA Moreta, Rescue Run must be read with MIA Dragon'sDawn, etc. etc.

I will keep looking. In the meantime, I have read the three Crystal Singer books, the five Tower and the Hive books, and the two Brain Ship books which I like best (The Ship Who Sang and The Ship Who Searched. If I can find them in my messy multitude of bookshelves, I also want to reread the first Acorna book (like the first better than the others in that series) and the three Petaybe books. :)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:02 am 
Blood Tea Chugger

Just starting Foundation and Empire, by Asimov. Liked Foundation, but didn't love it. I didn't realize it was basically a collection of short stories. Had I known that, I probably would've passed on it.

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:03 pm 
Lady Scryer

Probability Moon, first book in a trilogy by Nancy Kress.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:14 pm 
Master Pilot

Been book less for over a month now ,getting book withdrawal :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:08 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:54 am 
Master Pilot

I kept seeing many of my FB friends raving about The Hunger Games and when I saw the movie was coming out, decided to grab the trilogy. I'm just starting book 3 and am highly enjoying it. Reminds me of watching and reading the Tripods Trilogy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:14 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:36 pm 
Lady Scryer

Embasseytown by China Mieville. Very good so far. :)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:31 pm 
Master Pilot

Dust of Dreams by Erikson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:26 am 
Master Pilot

I finished reading Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey last weekend. Wow, what an interesting story!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:06 pm 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:20 pm 
Master Pilot

It's good, you should look it up. Also available on Kindle, if you're into that.

It was nominated for a 2012 Hugo award.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next