[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - what science fiction are you reading right now?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: what science fiction are you reading right now?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:24 am 
Master Pilot

Natural History by Justina Robson. Just started it between Friday morning and now. Liking it so far. AIs and ETs, and it might be derivative to Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

W/T are forever

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:49 pm 
Lady Scryer

Just started Flat Earth by David Williams (someone some of you might know from Kevin's Watch :wink: ). I have only started it, but am very pleased with it thus far. The author has a smooth and very intelligent writing style that is really engaging me. :D 8)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:02 pm 
The UnTitled

A Scanner Darkly by Phillip K Dick.

--A

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:38 am 
Lady Scryer

I have two sections left in Flat Earth. Still very pleased. Each section is a short story, all set in the same universe, with an occasional shared character. I have to reread one called Heaven's Center, which blew my mind. :mrgreen:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:40 pm 
The UnTitled

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Phillip K Dick. A shortened, schoolkids version, as you've all heard me bemoan. :lol:

--A

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:50 am 
The UnTitled

Heinlein, The Number of the Beast

--A

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:03 am 
Lady Scryer

The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi. Rather dark and ugly look at a post-oil world set in Thailand.

I think that another Hugo nominee will be next - WWW:Wake by Robert Sawyer.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:06 pm 
The UnTitled

Just finshed The Man In The High Castle by Phillip K Dick. It was well done, but I didn't find the story very gripping. I was more interested in the behind the scenes stuff, that we got so little of.

--A

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:02 pm 
Lady Scryer

Another Hugo nominee in Julian Comstock by Robert Charles Wilson. Has yet to really capture my interest, but know from the past that his books usually take time to grow on me.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:55 am 
Lady Scryer

Still struggling through Comstock. While the concepts behind the book are interesting - after oil in less than 200 years the US and Canada are merged (and have conquered their way well down into Latin America) and at constant war with Europe in Labrador (where the Dutch and Germans keep a foothold in North America) , the crazy fundie Christians hold great power, and society has devolved into hereditary aristocratic Landowners, a professional upper servant class, and serfs tied to the land who can be bought and sold like slaves - the book itself is boring me to tears. I am about halfway through it, and am really hoping things pick up. :? :(

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:16 pm 
The UnTitled

Sheesh, if it hasn't by half-way...

--A

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:38 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:29 am 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:41 am 
Lady Scryer

I do not know how far you got into Gardens, Menolly - but things start making a lot more sense and coming together at about page 200, if that was the problem. :wink:

Menolly - did I mention that there was an important secondary character (positively portrayed) with Asperger's in one of this year's Hugo books? He was in WWW:Wake by Robert Sawyer, if you want to look for it at the library. :)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:02 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
Yeah.
I stopped around page 128 in GotM.
And despite all the acclaim of nearly everyone I know (including both Hyperception and Beorn) of the entire series (although neither of them have read the newest one yet), I just have not been able to force myself to pick it up again. My eyes totally glaze over, although I must admit to already having an affinity for Tattersail.

I've been trying to return to it ever since Lucimay gave me a copy at 2007 elohimfest. Doesn't look like its gonna happen anytime soon...

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next