[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - what science fiction are you reading right now?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: what science fiction are you reading right now?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:14 pm 
Lady Scryer

Yeah, that one completely messes with your mind. 8)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:43 pm 
The UnTitled

Which one? :D

--A

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:52 pm 
Lady Scryer

Banks' Use of Weapons. :)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:04 pm 
Blood Tea Chugger

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:14 pm 
Master Pilot

The Difference Engine by Sterling and Gibson. It's for my book group on Saturday.

W/T are forever

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:36 pm 
The UnTitled

Great book.

Hey...wait a minute...de ja vu...

--A

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:49 pm 
Lady Scryer

Catalyst by McCaffrey and Scarborough. Very short and very cute, written mostly from the point of view of cats. :lol: :lol: :lol: Non-cat lovers might not enjoy it, though.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:05 pm 
The UnTitled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:16 am 
Master Pilot

Highdrake sent me "The Sparrow" and "Children of God" by Mary Doria Russell. I'm about halfway through "The Sparrow". Good so far. :)

My books:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:02 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:49 am 
Master Pilot

Russell gets ignores all the relativistic mechanics, a criticism I've seen often, and just this weekend I was told the characters were hard or impossible to identify with and not very likeable. In my opinion, I don't think you're supposed to like them.

Regardless, I think these criticism miss the point and are sort of stupid.

W/T are forever

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:19 pm 
Lady Scryer

I can easily forgive characters not being "likable" as long as they are well written (look at the great anti-heroes like Thomas Covenant in the first trilogy by Donaldson and Kenit in Hobb's Liveship Traders, not likable at all but damned interesting characters).

And yeah- people being negative the work based on that are missing the entire point of the books.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:10 pm 
The UnTitled

Angus and Nick were pretty unlikeable too usually.

--A

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:43 am 
Master Pilot

Which characters did these people not like, taras? I think Emilio is quite likeable, and I love love love Anne Edwards -- I wanna be just like her when I grow up. :lol: I'm even coming around about the Jesuits on earth. Except for Voelcker. He's still a jerk, altho he did have the grace to admit he was wrong. Eventually.

Maybe I've been inured to reading about complex, *human* characters by reading SRD, I dunno...

When you say relativistic mechanics, are you talking about the speed-of-light travel? I'm no physicist, so I just basically smile and nod when I read sci-fi anyhow. Doesn't hurt the ol' suspension of disbelief for me at all.

My books:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:08 am 
Lady Scryer

From what I understand, most science fiction writers are way off on speed of light travel and the like. Not having had physics since high school, and that more than twenty years ago, it doesn't really bother me as the math and what have you if they were to really dig into the science of it would be way over my head anyway. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Technology is blurring into magic for me these days. I know things work, but no longer know how they work. Take my new dvd player. It is something called an "uptake" dvd player. You put in a regular dvd and somehow it turns it into the equivalent of a blu-ray disc. I have no idea how it works, and frankly do not care. I only know it is awesome and I love it. :mrgreen: 8)

So if I cannot even figure out how my own entertainment system works, I highly doubt I could ever understand the mechanics of interstellar travel. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Image Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next