[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Who is your favorite Atreides retainer, and why?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC

who is your favorite Atreides retainer?
Duncan Idaho 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Gurney Halleck 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
Thufir Hawatt 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yueh Wellington 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1
 Post subject: Who is your favorite Atreides retainer, and why?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:37 am 
Lady Scryer

What the title says!

Obviously, this goes for the orginal novel when they were all still active and alive. Duncan IdahoGurney HalleckThufir HawatWellington Yuehother (please specify)Show results ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Last edited by Duchess of Malfi on Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Who is your favorite Atreides retainer, and why?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:30 am 
The UnTitled

Except you didn't say why Duchess.

Haha, yeah, I voted Halleck. A man of many talents, and most importantly, with a suitable quote for every occasion. Admirable.

--A ____________________________________

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:38 am 
Lady Scryer

Of those, the tow I like most would be Duncan Idaho and Gurney. Just the phrase Sword master of the Ginaz sounds completely badass. Throw that in with great diplomatic skills, and Duncan is cool.

But I love music...and Gurney always seems to have the right thing to say or the right song to sing. So for me that gives him the edge. A guy who can fight, a guy to whom family is important, a guy who is loyal, a guy who loves music...sounds pretty good to me. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:05 pm 
Master Pilot

I voted for Duncan simply because he's my favorite character and the book, period. *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:39 am 
The UnTitled

I dunno...he's always struck me as pretty rigid.

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:29 am 
Master Pilot

I think I liked Duncan more in the later books, though I barely remember what happened in them. But I do recall thinking it was a bit hilarious having him "resurrected" so many times.

Really, Gurney is my pick by default because the rest are a pretty grim bunch. I can't see myself having casual chats with them over coffee. Gurney is clearly the life of the party.

Off at a tangent here: speaking of caffeinated beverages...this wasn't brought up in the chapter dissections, but I think it's fabulous that in this distant future of humanity, coffee still flows as well as the spice. It has not been forgotten! How great is that? You can keep yer mind-trippin' spice, I'll stick with my mocha java. Might there be a House Starbucks in the Landsraad? And if coffee is alive and well in the Dune universe, can donuts then be far behind? Wait a minute: Duncan's Donuts! That's it!

<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:28 am 
The UnTitled

Duncan's Donuts huh?

I dunno if I ever really like him...and the ressurrections got pretty tiresome...Leto II's Duncans were worse than the original I think.

They were so...inflexible.

As for coffee, well, spice coffee sounds pretty good...I imagine it like hash coffee with a bit of cinammon.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:47 pm 
Pilot

My choice was Gurney Halleck as well. In all the Atreides retainers this one showed true faith and love in his Duke. However, I am very partial to Duncan Idaho as well, after what he went thru as a child to get to be in the Duke's service was nothing short of phenominal from a young child. That's all I can say here without spoiling the prequels. Duncan and Gurney were loyal well beyond the call of retainer, all for the hatred of the Harkonnen......as was so many others. These two stood above all the rest------by a long shot.

<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:52 am 
The UnTitled

We're not too worried about spoilers for the prequels really, as long as you warn people that there are spoilers, then leave a few open lines before typing it. (No spoiler tags here I'm afraid.)

Anyway, I think in Heretics and Chapter House you get at least a glimpse of it, it discusses the "childhood" of the reawakened ghola, about the death of his family, being held and tortured by the H in Barony on Geidi Prime, by hiding from them in the mountains... yeah, maybe.

And look where that loyalty got Halleck anyway huh? (Yes, I know, sound tactical reasons. But I still think that Atreides no longer meant quite the same to Paul as it had to Leto. And Halleck knows, and is saddened by it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:40 pm 
Pilot

My favourite is THE Duncan Idaho (Chapterhouse readers know what I mean.)

He is the Atreides retainer, the with a CAPITAL THE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:23 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:15 am 
The UnTitled

Idaho annoyed me to be honest. Not sure why...even the original.

I originally voted for Gurney Halleck, and I do find him great. But perhaps now I prefer Thuffir Hawat, the Mentat Master of Assassins. :D

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:23 pm 
Pilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:21 am 
The UnTitled

Hmm, I'd have to read it again, but him probably least of all of them. But he was tainted by their presence in his ghola flesh. ;) He did grow up well that last time though. Prefer Teg as a character. (Although Duncan the Zensunni was interesting.)

--A