Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: dune chapter 14
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:37 am 
The UnTitled

I have no idea. Jessica returns there after Paul is Emperor. Paul also grants Halleck an earldom in the fife of Caladan.

But I've never known whether they retained control of it in the interim. As I said, the hanging of the key confuses me...is it in memoriam? Or is it a symbol of his rulership there too? The Emperor could order him to Arrakis...*shrug*

I really don't know. Mabe there's something in the Encyclopeadia? Fist? You anywhere around?

--A ____________________________________

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:57 am 
Lady Scryer

I sent him a message directing his attention to this thread.

I am curious about this issue myself. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:03 am 
The UnTitled

Thanks Duchess.

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:03 pm 
Master Pilot

The Encyclopedia doesn't address it at all. No entries for Planets or Caladan. Nor, for that matter, for Atreides, except for specific members of the family.

However, the Harkonnen never lost control of Geidi Prime, did they? I imagine the Atreides family retained Caladan. ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:54 pm 
Master Pilot

Really, wasn't it put in someone else's hands, and they allowed Jessica to stay there (CofD)? I could be wrong... *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:50 am 
The UnTitled

In CoD, Gurney Halleck was the Earl of the Fife of Caladan, granted to him by Paul at his defeat of Shaddam.

To be honest, I think I must agree with Fist, that they retained at least titular control of it. I can't see any other reason that Leto would retain possession of the Key to his ancestral castle.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:26 pm 
Pilot

"Here I am! Here I remain!" The hanging of the key to castle Caladan was symbolic, the Atreides family maintained control of Caladan after the Emporer Shaddam shifted the fiefdom of Arrakis to the Atreides family. The planet would be maintained by trusted governors of course, and the final say-so in large decisions would be made by Leto via sub-space comms. I would think that running two whole planets to be rather vexing, a lot of administrative details and whatnot. The key symbolized Home to the Atreides and the family retainers, a reminder that one planet was already conquered and this one, albeit much harsher, would in time be conquered as well. It was the same as hanging the stuffed head of the bull that killed the old Duke, "My Lord! Please!" said the Lady Jessica. "The choice is between your digestion and my ancestral dignity, my dear," the Duke said," they will hang in the dining hall." So, as seen here the whole thing with the key and the bull's head was for ancestral dignity more than anything else. Even so far as to refuse the Lady Jessica her own way as far as the decorating of the new keep. Ah, well, I'll shut up now......... <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:02 am 
The UnTitled

I agree up to a point, but I don't think they thought of Arrakis as needing to be conquered...it was legally and wholly theirs. But having been a Harkonnen Fief, they would have had to subdue it, certainly. Not militarily, but socially.