Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dune Messiah & Children of Dune (spoilers!!)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:55 am 
Lady Scryer

These books have come to represent a bridge to me, between the glorious novel that is Dune and the later books of the series, which take place thousands of years later in the future of the Duniverse. While they are good books in their own right, they are very important in understanding who and what Leto II is, and the background of him and his "Golden Path" that he wishes humanity to follow.

Dune Messiah tells of the love between Alia Atreides and Duncan Idaho (to me the greatest and most tragic of the love stories of Dune); the great conspiracies against Paul Atreides; and perhaps most importantly -- the conception and birth of the twins of Paul and his beloved Chani.

Children of Dune tells of the tragic fall of Alia Atreides into evil and madness and possession; the story of how the twins attempt to survive the conspiracies against them;and the coming of Leto II as the one who will be eventually known as the God Emperor.

When I was in college, the Duniverse ended with Children of Dune. It was only a few years later that the story would be continued with God Emperor of Dune, which, of course, is the story of what Leto will become.

Even if the Dune saga had ended with Children, in my eyes it would have been one of the greatest series in all of science fiction.

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Dune Messiah & Children of Dune (spoilers!!)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:26 am 
Lady Scryer

I know that when Fisty originally suggested that we dissect Dune, he hoped that someday there would be enough interest to keep right on going through at least the first three books.

Maybe someday? ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Dune Messiah & Children of Dune (spoilers!!)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:41 am 
The UnTitled

I'm not planning on going anywhere. Of course, we'd go faster if Fisty started participating too...

(Just teasing you man, I know you're having it a bit rough right now. Hurry up and get yourself sorted. )

I'm struggling through a re-read of Dune Messiah myself...have put it down twice to switch to other books. It's never been one of my favourites.

I think that, with the knowledge of the later books, we can see the first hints of a downward slide in Maud'Dib's rule. The stagnation, the softening of the Fremen... All omens which do not bode well for his legacy.

--A ____________________________________

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

Post subject: Re:Dune Messiah
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:03 pm 
Pilot

Agreed,Avatar, but also remember Muad'dib chose that path because he was afraid to take on the Golden Path himself,and left it to his son.It would've been a really neat read if Muad'dib DID take the path,but personally,I think it was his love of Chani that stopped him........ <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Re:Dune Messiah
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:23 am 
The UnTitled

Perhaps. Also, I think that Paul was still too much a product of the Atreides, the Imperium, the BG training and his honour to willingly embrace such a change. Leto II however had no such scruples. He was willing to embrace change, and force his will unilaterally on everybody.

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

Post subject: Re:Dune Messiah
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:09 am 
Pilot

That's a very good point,Paul had too much baggage to take on the Golden Path.Imagine what the BG could have wrung out of him if he was the God Emporer......much less the Imperium,and the Atreides line.... <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Re:Dune Messiah
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:58 am 
The UnTitled

Agreed. I mean, Look what Leto II did to the Atreides? He bred them like dogs, and played them like fiddles. And killed them. Hmmm...he was their Arrakis.