Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hunters of Dune- Releasing 08/2006 - sounds strange!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:19 am 
Lady Scryer

Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson are writing the conclusion to the classic Dune series originated By Frank Herbert. They are following the notes and outlines Frank Herbert left behind when he passed away. They are writing the conclusion as a duology, and the first half of that duology will be released this month, August 2006.

The description sounds weird to me.

Quote:
Duncan Idaho's ghola, Miles Teg, Sheanna, and a crew of refugees escape the clutches of the ruthless Honored Matres in a no-ship that Duncan has flung into the uncharted galaxy. Though haunted by the memories of his former lover, Murbella, Duncan uses his mentat abilities to steer the no-ship out into the void to outrun the gossamer net of an unknown Enemy.

Back home, Murbella's ambition has helped her become the Mother Commander of the combined Honored Matres and Bene Gesserit sisterhoods. Murbella has what everyone wants: spice. And she intends to sue it to maximize her power.

Uxtal, a low-level Tleilaxu, has somehow survived the Honred Matres' slaughter of his race. They have allowed him to live so that he can use the Tleilaxu's secrets to create spice in teh Axolotl Tanks. Uxtal dos not know how to create spice, but he does make a ghola of Harkonnen...who then escapes.

Back on the no-ship, Duncan and the others mine genetic secrets from the last Tleiaxu master to revive key figures from Dune's past - including Paul Muad'Dib, Lady Jessica, and even Dr. Wellington Yueh.

It will take help on all fronts to overcome an Enemy that has one thing in mind - the final annihilation of the human race...

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post subject: Hunters
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:54 am 
The UnTitled

...uh...

Dunno what to think really. Since I haven't read Chapter House Dune, I don't know the latest events to match.

And to be honest, when I started reading God Emperor I realised that the amount of time that had passed between it and Children made everything look strange. If I'd read an exerpt, I would barely have recognised it.

Will have to wait and see I guess, but I do feel a little dubious. Especially given the mixed reviews I've seen of the prequels, (which I also have yet to read.)

--A ____________________________________

"We have become a society in which the Artist is regarded as
A self-indulgent superfluity, and the person who juggles stocks and shares
Is an essential part of the economy. Something is Wrong" -Pam Brown.
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Hunters
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:23 am 
Lady Scryer

I need to reread the whole "classic" Frank Herbert sequence before I even try to read this thing (and it will have to wait in line behind Wolfe' Latro books, as his new book in that series is coming out pretty soon, too, and I had already planned on reading Latro).

From what I remember, things start getting very odd after God Emperor.

And yes- God Emperor takes place a very long time after the original trilogy. I want to say hundreds, if not thousands of years. But I am overdue for a reread so I cannot be more exact than that.

I have read the Dune Houses books, and the Dune Legends ones are in my TBR pile. On the one hand, it is interesting seeing the familiar Dune characters younger and less experienced, and it gives you background on some of the personal interactions and/or enmities between Baron Harkonnen, Duke Leto, and Emperor Shaddam - and background on why Leto is so set against marriage and why Jessica had a son instead of the commanded daughter -- but on the other hand, the writing style certainly was no where near as good as Frank Herbert's. ******************************************************

<i></i>

Post subject: Hunters
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:05 am 
The UnTitled

God Emperor takes place 10,000 years after the first trilogy.

A very very long time indeed.

Yeah, I definitely want to read the prequels. As I've often said before, it's the world that always captures my attention more than anything else. But good writing is always a bonus.

<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Hunters
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:34 pm 
Lady Scryer

Well, in the case of the Dune Houses books, you will get the world, in not so good writing. Maybe simply a good editing might have improved things - such as every time Leto appears his nose is mentioned, as is the color of Jessica's hair whenever she turns up. It really started irritating me after awhile.

However, there is some good stuff in there. The Baron Harkonnen's brother and the brother's wife are characters well worth getting to know.

The Bene Gesserit Empress was also a quite interesting character. ******************************************************

<i></i>

Post subject: Prequels
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:58 am 
The UnTitled

I'll definitely keep an eye out for them. But I'll pick them up piecemeal from 2nd hand shops when they've been out for a while longer probably.

No rush.

<i></i>

Post subject: Hunters of Dune
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:54 am 
Lady Scryer

Hunters is out, by the way. I saw it in the bookstore today before work. But I am waiting until I reread through the classic Dune series before I even try to get it! ******************************************************

<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Hunters of Dune
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:51 am 
Master Pilot

You're right, duchess, this Hunters of Dune thing sounds a little weird...I guess it all depends on whether or not the skill of the writers can turn Frank Herbert's notes into a good story. Unfortunately, all the less-than-great opinions I've heard about Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson's previous Dune efforts doesn't inspire confidence.

This premise of some unknown, powerful "Enemy" that is ready to wipe out everything also seems overly familiar. Suddenly, out of nowhere, we get some dark Enemy? Sounds similar to the premise behind the post-Empire Star Wars novels. With the defeat of the Empire, there was no longer a supreme baddie to fight against, thus even more dangerous enemies had to be dreamed up for the Jedi. Once again, it depends on the skill of the writing to turn what may be a cliched premise into something new and interesting.

I'm another one who'll need to re-read all the Dune books up to Chapterhouse before I even think about checking out the prequels. At least I've gotten started now.

<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:06 am 
The UnTitled

And I think these ghola(s?) are being overdone too. I don't want to see everybody coming back to life, as it were.

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:01 pm 
Lady Scryer

I'm sort of wondering about the ghola thing myself. Why the Baron? Why Yueh???

It'll probably be awhile until I get to it - I am rereading Gene Wolfe's Latro books right now, then want to reread the Hyperion series. Then I will get to the Dune series. Maybe sometime in the winter. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:18 pm 
Master Pilot

Well folks, I'm truly sorry I'm not around here these days. I wish I had the time and energy to contribute.

However, I'll be getting this book today!!!!! I can't wait to see what

*SPOILER*

the Honored Matres were running from!!!!! I have my guess. I think it's from the prequels, and they had to write the prequels first, rather than just go to Hunters, so we'd understand who the HM's enemy is. I think it's the result of one of the probes that Omnius (the ruler of the AI) sent out. A sandworm ate the probe that landed on Arrakis, but I'll bet some survived elsewhere. ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:50 am 
The UnTitled

Nice to see you here. And I hope it'll be a little more often too. (It doesn't take that much energy. )

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:59 pm 
Master Pilot

Truly, it does. You have no idea. My life has been slipping for years, getting worse as time goes by. The exhaustion I live with every moment is nearly unbearable. Not yelling at my kids for any tiny thing is difficult. Trying to read something as complex as Dune, then write about it, is more than I can contemplate. I'm REALLY hoping this machine I just got for sleep apnea does the trick. Living on a couple very strong cups of coffee every day is not a good answer.

And that's an odd post... lol ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:03 pm 
Lady Scryer

Heh, Hang in there Fisty. I was reading in a scientific journal a couple of weeks ago how they have recently made some major breakthroughs in finding out what causes chronic fatigue syndrome. There's actually more than one sort of chronic fatigue, with very different causes, though very similar symptoms. Now that they are figuring all of this out, hopefully some cures (or at least effective treatments) will be coming along within a few years!

Sleep apnea can be a devil. I know a guy who had that really bad. Because he never got enough sleep, he ate all the time so he could have enough energy to work and to just...live. He weighed way over 300 pounds. When the doctors finally got the apnea under control, he lost over 100 of those pounds!! ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:42 pm 
Master Pilot

Yeah, take it easy, Mr. Highdrake.

Most of us take our sleep for granted, so I don't know how I'd endure dealing with sleep apnea. Hope your treatment works out for you. <i></i>