Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 6:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Hunters of Dune
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:32 pm 
Master Pilot

Thanks, folks. Hey, is that you MM?

btw, the "unknown, powerful Enemy" is Frank's idea. Whatever the enemy is, it's the reason the HM's came back from wherever they were in the first place. ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:25 am 
Master Pilot

MM is currently in limbo, caught between Kevin's Watch and the "real world" in the nowhere space called Internal Server Error.

I, on the other hand, am fine and (mostly) free of any internal errors. So far. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:06 am 
The UnTitled

Wow, I didn't know you suffered from apnea Fist. (That's when you stop breathing in your sleep, isn't it? *shudder*)

I used to be a serious insomniac. Three hours a night was a good sleep for me, so I know that living with sleep deprevation is no fun.

(I would have thought that that was the cause of the chronic fatigue? If it's not, do you do any excercise? I've recently been remembering something that I should really keep in mind all the time. That if you exert your mind, you have to exert your body as well to maintain balance.)

--A ____________________________________

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:17 pm 
Master Pilot

MM, the Watch is often very slow for me these days. Very occasionally, I can't get on at all. But I often have to hit links several times.

Yeah, the apnea is likely the cause of the way I've felt for many years now. I've been to doctors for my fatigue a couple times in the past, and one finally diagnosed me with what I consider the we'll-call-it-this-because-we-don't-have-any-idea-what-it-is diagnosis of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. He said it was because of the Epstein Barr virus. Most people have it in their systems, but they think it bothers some people more than others.

I have only been actually waking myself up (actually waking up isn't necessary to screw up the sleeping cycle, and cause fatigue) because of the breathing interruptions and/or snoring for about the last two weeks. But when I was tested at the sleep clinic, they found that I stop breathing 45 times per hour. All people stop breathing while they sleep, but typically only 5 times per hour. Ironically, I've been remembering more dreams in the the last two weeks than in the last few years combined. Go figure. ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:17 am 
The UnTitled

Oxygen deprivation? *shakes head* Man, that's rough. Well, I hope whatever they're giving you works. Everybody deserves a good nights sleep.

--A ____________________________________

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:02 am 
Master Pilot

In case anybody's interested, there's some interesting developments in Hunters. I'm only on something like page 130, so I certainly don't know what's going to happen yet. But some cool stuff so far!

It's easy to tell that it's not Frank writing it this time. So very different from Heretics and Chapterhouse. Actually, that's not an entirely bad thing. I don't try to hide the fact that I didn't understand half of what was going on in those books. Freakin' political conversations with the BG implying things that send HM's into homocidal rages, and I'm all, "HUH? What the hell are they talking about??" ____________

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:55 am 
Lady Scryer

Fisty, the Watch gives everyone problems these days, and has been since at least the beginning of August. We have an entire thread about it up in Snowy Owl chat (and since I cannot get to the Watch tonight, I am about to go add another complaint or two to the litany ).

The book sounds promising. The only thing I can remember about Heretics and Chapterhouse was that they were difficult reads. I might not mind things being simplified a bit.

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:32 am 
Lady Scryer

I had a long talk on the phone with Fist today. He told me that it is not necessary to reread the entire Dune series to catch up on what happens in Hunters.

When the major characters from the last two books come on stage in Hunters, it gives a brief synopsis and recap of why they are important and what they did in the last two books.

So it sounds like you can jump right in, as the water is warm. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:08 am 
The UnTitled

I haven't read Chapter House unfortunately, but I agree that Heretics was often a bit confusing.

--A