[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Chapter 19

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Chapter 19
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:25 pm 
Pilot

Alright, lemme just say that I won't be able to respond at all, sadly, because I'm leaving around 5:00 PM. And I'll probably have internet access August 15th earliest.

I'm planning on reading Dune again, so it's truly fresh in my mind, after finishing War in Heaven (so good so far!).

Also, please forgive me if this is short, or not particularly elaborate and detailed, because I've only read about 3 chapters back before this one.

Quote:
There should be a science of discontent. People need hard times and oppression to develop psychic muscles.
-from "Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

What exactly this quote pertains to, I'm not completely sure. The first thing that occurred to me is that, as the 'thopter brings them over the desert, Paul and Jessica come closer to their "hard times" living with the Fremen of Arrakis. I'm considering another meaning, but as I don't really "know" or "remember" Jessica well enough, I'm not sure if it works well. I'll get to it later.

Anyway, this chapter focuses on Jessica awakening, only to realize her situation. She quickly overcomes her panic - if not completely, at least enough to overcome the instincts to pull on her bindings and discern as much of her surroundings as she can.

People walking. She sensed it through the floor.
Jessica squeezed back the memory of terror.
I must remain calm, alert, and prepared. I may get only one chance. Again, she forced the inner calmness.
The ungainly thumping of her heartbeats evened, shaping out time. She counted back.
I was unconscious about an hour. She closed her eyes, focused her awareness on the approaching footsteps.
Four people.
She counted the difference in their steps.

Some of the steps she takes - pretending unconsciousness - are completely futile on the surface, but in betraying that he knows how long she would sleep, the baron also gives her that much more reason to suspect Yueh. Though that information (in any way I can see) doesn't serve to help her, it shows the Baron is reckless enough to betray information which Jessica would never reveal without purpose.

Still, even considering these incredibly minor slip-ups, her situation is hopeless enough at the moment - not only is she gagged, but the baron has a deaf guard for the sole value of his immunity to The Voice.

But what I don't understand is why the Baron waited for Jessica and Paul to awaken. That, coupled with the complicated nature of his plan, is what betrays it from succeeding. Because the "execution" - leaving Paul and Jessica in the desert for wormfeed - is structured so the Baron can pretend no knowledge of it, he also has no real knowledge of their deaths - or of Jessica playing the guards against each other, causing Czizo (good name) and Kinet AKA "Scarface" (deaf guard) to fight overwho can have Jessica for himself. Naturally, Czizo, who's in no way safe from Jessica's Bene Gesserit abilities, is the survivor, but he's killed by a well-aimed kick from Paul before Jessica can control him.

Did Jessica need to be awake for the baron to convince Piter not to take her? Or did Paul, for any reason? And did either need to be awake for the guards to drop them in the desert?

I'd say that the baron wanted to gloat, but that doesn't seem right - he doesn't give Jessica (fearing her voice) or Paul a chance to respond, so it seems unlikely that he'd awaken them simply to hint at their fate.

Also, with Yueh acting as an informant for the baron, I would've thought that Paul would've been gagged too. If he had been, I doubt Jessica would have been un-gagged and able to lure the guards to their deaths.

Anyway, as we've seen some impressive thinking and acting from Jessica this chapter, I feel like the other possible meaning of the quote applies to her, because she surely shows a great deal of mental alacrity. But because I don't remember her background at all, I don't know if the "hard times and oppression" fits her at all.

Also, RIP Czizo and Kinet, who died this chapter.
Czizo:
"Too messy. Unless you wants to stragnle 'em. Me, I likes a nice straightforward job. Drop 'em on the desert like that traitor said, cut 'em once or twice, leave the evidence for the worms. Nothing to clean up afterwards."
"I've heard me what can happen to a man in this desert, boy might find the knife a kindness."
"What'll y'do, cub, if I cut y'r bonds?"

Kinet:
"Me, I wouldn't like the thought of facing that Truthsayer after this night's work."
"She is a Bene Gesserit witch. They have powers."
"Who'd be to know? Afterwards...I just never had me no highborns. Might never get a chancet [lol chancet] like this one again."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:50 am 
The UnTitled

Thanks for the Chapter Holsety. :D

Very good question about why the Baron wanted them awake. Would have been far better to just throw them unconscious into the desert. Even if he wanted to gloat, he shoulda knocked them out again.

I've always seen the intro quote for this chapter as referring to the Harkenonn. The Fremen were oppressed by them, and as a result, developed those muscles. Arrakis was created by god to train the faithful, remember? It was a lesson that Paul was to apply wisely in the future. That psychic strength of the Fremen.

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:29 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:04 am 
The UnTitled

Wouldn't be the first time the Baron has allowed his pleasures to get in the way of practicality.

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:24 pm 
Pilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:22 am 
The UnTitled

Dunno, I don't actually remember reading a specific weight, just that he required suspensors to walk.

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:09 am 
Master Pilot

What I like is seeing Jessica's observational powers as she carefully "reads" both Piter and the Baron while the two have their verbal exchange. And of course, the other kind of Bene Gesserit power kicks into action here - the Voice. That is such an awesome psychological weapon to have at your disposal.

Dumb question: do you have to be actually stone deaf to avoid being influenced by Voice? What if you just wore really good earplugs? (Okay, I'll concede that sound can leak into even the best earplugs.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:13 am 
The UnTitled

Interesting question...surely anything that distorted the careful modulation and pitch of the voice in the hearer should reduce or nullify it's effectiveness.

And ah yes, the observation skills. A weapon perhaps even more important. Always fascinated me. (Used to love Sherlock Holmes stories too. :D )

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:43 am 
Pilot