[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - God Emperor of Dune (SPOILERS!!!!!)

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:37 am 
Lady Scryer

No, it was great and interesting. :)

Av and I were talking of Miles in the Sandworms thread. :) He is my favorite of all the Atreides. :D 8)

I'm sure I babbled about him in either the Heretics or Chapterhouse threads, too. :lol:

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:45 am 
The UnTitled

Yeah, great post. I think it was in the intro to God Emperor that they talk about his records being discovered 10,000 years later.

But I'm still not seeing evidence that the act of seeing the future creates that future...hmmm...except in the sense that if you are accurately prescient your seeing it means it is going to happen.

But creating it? Plenty of things happened that weren't foreseen as it were...the future happens whether you see it or not. Your suggestion seems to suggest that if Leto hadn't looked forward and seen the machines destroying humans, it wouldn't happen...

--A

Post subject: Re: God Emperor of Dune (SPOILERS!!!!!)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:36 pm 
Master Pilot

I just finished God Emperor and found it fairly weird and hard to get into. Still thinking about it, though. The musings about it in this thread are interesting.

Debating whether to go on to the next book or not...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:14 pm 
Lady Scryer

Things really start getting weird in the next two books. You skip thousands of years into the future again, and Herbert passed away before he could write the concluding book. :( So you read these two really strange books, and then do not get a conclusion. :?

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:09 am 
Master Pilot

Congrats to MsMary for making it this far into the Dune series! I'm embarrassed to say I still haven't read Chapterhouse. So there's no real conclusion, huh? What a shame for such a remarkable saga to have no closure.

Anyway, I really miss EL, especially after reading his posts here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:58 pm 
Master Pilot

Well, I ordered Heretics and Chapterhouse from the library, so I guess I'm committed.

Or maybe I should be committed. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:20 am 
Pilot

When I read this I thought Leto's plan was to give humanity such firm control, for so long, that they would burst into new creativity (chaos) in reaction to it. I also thought Leto was breeding Siona's line until he achieved an Atreides who would have the strength and rebellion to kill him. Also, I thought he kept himself supplied with a Duncan until the right Atreides matured, and then he would be that one's catalyst and partner to precipitate new freedom for humanity.

I don't remember reading a prediction from Leto of machines killing humans. When you find it in GOD EMPEROR, could you direct me to it?

Now on page 160 of SANDWORMS.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:53 pm 
The UnTitled

Nice to see you around Min. :lol:

--A

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:34 pm 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:30 pm 
Lady Scryer

Makes perfect sense and I am really happy you enjoyed the two books. :) 8)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:34 pm 
The UnTitled

I felt the same way...didn't feel that it had to end any other way. Hell, when I first read them, I didn't know there could be any other way. I thought that was the end.

--A

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:30 pm 
Master Pilot

That's what I would have thought, too, if I hadn't read here that there was supposed to be more to the story.

I've heard enough about the son's writing that I am not particularly tempted to read any further Dune stories.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:05 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm 
The UnTitled

Yeah, I haven't bothered seeking them out. And if I do, it'll probably only be for the prequels. As far as I'm concerned, Dune ended at Chapter House.

--A