Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Wolfe Reference Books
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:06 pm 
Lady Scryer

Wolfe can be a tricky author to read. His works are dense, and many layered, with many possible valid interpretations.

I know that there are a couple of reference books out there, for at least the Book of the New Sun, as I have seen people mention them before.

Does anyone know the names and authors of those books?

Are there references to any of Wolfe's other works? ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Wolfe Reference Books
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:39 pm 
Master Pilot

There's a few (they're listed at the bottom of the link in 'The Comprehensive Guide' thread. Robert Borski's wrote two. The Solar Labyrinth and The Long and Short of It (which you can apparently order the ebook copy of on Amazon). There's also Lexicon Urthus, written by Michael Andre-Driussi. Heh. They're not easy to get a hold of, though.
Amazon link

Not many fantasy or sci-fi writers have books about their books, eh? ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i>Edited by: Sylvanus at: 5/30/06 10:40 am
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:09 pm 
Lady Scryer

I wish that there was a reference for Wizard Knight. I was catching lots of things that were pointing me towards Arthurian legends, and I am sure that I probably missed a lot more. And I only have a very basic knowledge of Nordic mythology, and I'm sure I missed a lot of the references to that in the story, as well. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:35 am 
Pilot

After reading the Wizard Knight I felt compelled to dig around a bit to brush up on my Norse Lore. I agree with you, I'd love to have some sort of a WK reader/companion.

I've read a few decent on-line articles discussing common Wolfe themes, but nothing that breaks down the Wizard Knight as throughly as one of Borski's books.

I'm sure you're familiar with it, but if not you might want to check out www.urth.net Lots of Wolfe discussions including Wizard Knight. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:32 pm 
Master Pilot

My norse myth is rusty, but I got by. I'd recommend something like this book...

www.amazon.com/gp/product...44?ie=UTF8

Also, some Arthurian knowledge would come in handy. I've always meant to get around to L'Mort d'Arthur, but I did read Gawain and the Green Knight, which was interesting. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:20 am 
Pilot

I read Le Morte D'Arthur years ago. I can't recall it in any great detail, but it is certainly a good resource (the best??) for Arthurian Legend.

Thanks for the link Syl. I enjoyed the Green Knight stories. I even attempted to read the Middle English text--ouch, painful memories of High School Beowulf are resurfacing! <i></i>