[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - THE TERROR

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: THE TERROR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:34 pm 
Master Pilot

On schedule for January publication

Quote:A riveting thriller blending the rich historical detail of a Patrick O'Brian novel with the suspense and terror of the best of Stephen King, about two 19th century ice ships preyed upon by a beast of supernatural strength.

Hope of rescue is dwindling for sailors aboard two ships trapped in the Arctic on the ill-fated 1845 Sir John Franklin Expedition to find the North-West Passage. They’ve been locked in frozen waters for months—the climate is unbearably frigid, their food supply is spoiling, their fuel is diminishing, and the ice is slowly crushing both vessels and pulling them into the sea. But the men of ships Erebus and Terror are fighting to survive more than just treacherous conditions—some ungodly monster of unimaginable size, strength, and intelligence is attacking them at random, leaving some bodies unrecognizable and taking others away into the icy night.
The only one among them who seems invulnerable to the beast is an alluring Eskimo woman they’ve rescued from the ice, but her eerie calm and late night flights from the ship make the sailors—particularly hardheaded Captain Crozier—suspicious. With the aid of a young surgeon, Crozier overcomes illness and mutiny to preserve his ship and his charges, but as months pass the merciless Arctic and the insatiable predator turn good men into savages during what becomes a losing battle to survive.

Based on the true story of two ice ships that disappeared in the Arctic circle during the 1845 Sir John Franklin Expedition, THE TERROR is a meticulously researched and fascinating account of 19th century seafaring life with all the suspense and terror of any of the literary thrillers that have dominated the bestseller lists recently.
Dan Simmons’s work has been lauded by critics and writers and has earned him a devoted fan base no matter what genre he tackles. With THE TERROR, Simmons is poised to break out even wider. *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

Post subject: Re: THE TERROR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:21 am 
Lady Scryer

I think that this will be a good one. And reading something like this in the middle of a Michigan winter will be interesting - depending on the weather is might be a little too realistic! ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:01 pm 
Lady Scryer

for some early book reviews and the author tour (most stops look to be on the west coast) for this book:

www.dansimmons.com/news/news_items.htm ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:10 pm 
Lady Scryer

Thus far the reader reviews on Amazon are very positive:
www.amazon.com/Terror-Novel-Dan-Simmons ... F8&s=books

Looks like Dan Simmons might have a grand slam home run on his hands with this one, if the early reader reviews are anything to go by.

I have been trying not to buy any books until I get my TBR pile under control - but with this one I might have to make an exception.

<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:03 pm 
Lady Scryer

OK, couldn't resist and picked it up. As soon as I finish the book I am in the middle of reading, I will get started on this one.

Looks like it will be a kickbutt action story. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:02 am 
Lady Scryer

About halfway through, and I cannot seem to get warm! ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:11 pm 
Lady Scryer

OK -Ok - it was impossible to put down and I was up until 3AM last night and up early this morning to finish this book.

Two British exporatory vessels get locked in the ice in the far north on their voyage looking for the Northwest Passage in the mid-1840's. It is cold and hellish and something is out there, stalking them - taking one or two men at a time. Very creepy tale of survival under unbelievably bad conditions. ******************************************************

<i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:30 pm 
The Timekeeper

bump for Cshaw71 (hopefully).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:38 am 
Master Pilot

I know what you mean about reading this book and feeling the bone chill. I still (a year later) think about the scene where it described men forgetting to wear their gloves and having their hands freeze to the metal, when I'm out running my snow blower. Brrrrrr.

Great story though. One of the things I like about Simmons is I never can see exactly where he is going with a story. I've read quite a lot since I threw myself into scifi and its not often you find a story that isn't just a different version of other stories. I could not have told you the ending when I was half way or even 3/4th way through. That's a good thing in my book.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:25 am 
Lady Scryer

Absolutely agree, and The Terror was right at the top of my best reads for that year. :mrgreen: It was a huge book, but very fast paced, with plenty of twists, and great action adventure. :mrgreen:

Image Image Image