Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Rise of Endymion (spoilers)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:35 pm 
Master Pilot

Wow the second I saw Fallingwater (In Endymion) I knew the Old Architect would be a cybrid of Frank Lloyd Wright! And now near Scottsdale in my neck of the woods! Too damm cool! My gods! Dure still around, ressurected and then murdered. And the Swiss Guardsmen done in by Albedo-talk about a blast from the past!!!!! *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

Post subject: Re: The Rise of Endymion (spoilers)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:26 am 
Lady Scryer

I love how Aenea studies architecture. Well, why wouldn;t the Teacher of Man be one?

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:47 pm 
Master Pilot

From chapter twelve-now this is one of the most astounding examples of descriptive prose I've ever read....

Quote:*"Monosulfide or polysulfides," the comlog had said: well, whatever constituted these tawny cumulus in the diffuse daylight, sunset set them afire with rust-red light, brilliant crimson streaks, bloody tractus streaming away from the main cloud masses like crimson pennants, rose-colored fibratus weaving together the cirrus ceiling like muscle strands under the flesh of a living body, billowing masses of cumulus so white that they made me blink as if snowblinded, golden, striated cirroform spilling out fron the boiling cumulonimbus towers like masses of blond hair blowing back from pale, upturned faces. The light deepened, richened, became so intense that it brought tears to my eyes, and then it became even more brilliant. Great, nearly, horizontal shafts of Godlight burned between the columns, illuminating some here, casting others into shadow there, passing through ice clouds and bands of vertical rain on their way, spilling hundreds of simple rainbows and a thousand multiple rainbows. The shadows moved from bruise-black depths, shading more and more of the still-writhing billows of cululus and nimbus, finally climbing into the high cirrus and pond-rippled autocumulus, but at first the shadows brought not grayness or darkness, but an infinate palette of subtleties: gleaming gold dimming to bronze, pure white becoming cream and then dimming to to sepia and shade, crimson with the boldness of spilled blood slowly darkening to the rust-red of dried blood, then fading to an autumnal tawny russet. The hull of my kayak lost its glint and the parasail above me quit catching the light as this vertical terminator moved past and above me. Slowly these shadows crept higher---it must have taken at least thirty minutes, although I was too absorbed in watching to check my comlog---and when they reached the cirrus ceiling, it was as if someone had dimmed all the lights in the temple.

*It was one hell of a sunset.

I am now in The Mountians of Heavens where Raul and A. Bettik have shot the cable and rockclimbed up the jumar point. Even more incredible descriptions of the mountians of The Middle Kingdom. Simmons knows something about everything, or, at least, he researches the hell out of everything! Wow! This sucker can build a fricking planet in 5 pages!!!!!!!!!! *****

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:10 am 
Master Pilot

Finally finished! Whew! What a story! I thought the ending could never be explained...poor Raul-always the last to know. *****

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:13 am 
Master Pilot

BIG SPOILERS
I figured Bettik from the start but Raul as hub and Kassad-got me!

Farvorite character in the whole series? The Consul's ship! *****
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/9/06 9:13 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:10 am 
Lady Scryer

I love Raul.

He might not be the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but his capacity for love and loyalty more than make up for that.

Did you know that there is a short story followup to this?

I will bump up the appropriate thread.

And I am so glad you enjoyed these four books! ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>