Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Film
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:31 am 
Pilot

A film of Hyperion?
Ok, but... will it keep the deep meaning of the novel, or will it just center on pursuits among worlds and easy image impact?
I don´t think is a good idea to make a film on this book, it will surely lighten its deep philosophical meaning. Yes, I certainly would like to see the images and all that stuff, but I know for sure that a film about Hyperion will be a complete disappointment.
And plus to that, I have to say that I would HATE everyone who reads the books just because there's a film of them. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Film
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:51 am 
Lady Scryer

I also think a lot of the deeper meanings would be lost...these are books that worked on many levels for me...part of it IS action/adventure, the true and touching love between Raul and Aenea -- but there is also a deep spiritual component, and that I think, might well be lost... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

Post subject: Martin Silenius
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:24 pm 
Pilot

A movie of Hyperion, I hadn't heard of it before and I'm not sure wether I like my ideas about the book ruined by some director, but still...

I like your ideas for the actors, except that I think that Martin Silenius should be played by Jack Nicholson, if there's anybody out there that looks like a satir it must be him and certainly not Danny de Vito who I think is just a funny little fat guy who should stick to comedy's

"Ach Crivens....." - A(ny) Nac Mac Feegle <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Martin Silenius
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:01 am 
Lady Scryer

If it is ever would be made into a film, I hope that it would be someone willing to "live" the book, and love it, like Jackson with LOTR...even when he changes things for the screen, I can still see his love for the underlying story shining through...
To make Hyperion into a GOOD movie, it would take that sort of love and commitment. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

Post subject: actors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:25 am 
Pilot

for de soya I prefer ian holm www.35mm.it/star/scheda.xtml?id=865, or www.fortunecity.com/laven.../holm.jpeg is a perfect monk with a smart but full of intelligent faith look. for aenea... what about natali portman for the younger and demi moore for the older aenea.
jack nickolson is perfect as a satir.

bye ste. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: actors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:53 pm 
Master Pilot

I'm beginning 2 argee w/Nicholson as Silenus. I'll follow ur link on Holm, I know he's a very good actor...dodba, good 2 see you, please consider joining the Hangar! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Post subject: Hyperion on film
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:23 pm 
Pilot

Seems to be more rumours floating about on this...just google "simmons hyperion movie" and you'll get some links.

Apparently the author rejected a screenplay that was overly faithful to the book, and did a 15-page reworking of the story to fit a movie trilogy format. One post claims that Raul and Aenea will be members of the original Shrike pilgrimage!

No news on any potential cast, other than Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorcese perhaps directing.

<i></i>

Post subject: hyperion on film
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:53 pm 
Pilot

nicolas cage is perfect for de soya he plays a desperate man well but also has the single mindedness de soya had
yeah i think i could see cage going through the pain for his lord <i></i>

Post subject: Re: hyperion on film
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:37 pm 
Master Pilot

Sorry for this literalist abuse of the topic title, "Hyperion on Film", but there was a Simmons sighting in the movie I just watched, and I didn't think it quite rated its own thread.

In the documentary Stone Reader, a filmmaker goes in search of a "lost" author, Dow Mossman, who published a single novel, The Stones of Summer. At one point he's sifting through crates of old papers and makes the comment that they're like "time tombs". He then briefly explains that Dan Simmons "wrote this great science fiction tetralogy called Hyperion" and that he's referencing Simmons' time tombs.

Not a big deal, but it was cool to hear an SF writer mentioned favorably here, as this is a very literary-minded (and critically acclaimed) film that discusses the likes of Joseph Heller, Mark Twain, and Henry Miller. ******************

To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice ...<i></i>

Post subject: Re: hyperion on film
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:29 pm 
Pilot

Thanks for the information about the documentary, sounds interesting and not only because of the Simmons mention. I'll give it a look.

Greg <i></i>