Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hyperion on Film?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:19 am 
Lady Scryer

According to Dan Simmons's website (to go visit it, please click on the gray Dan Simmons banner above) there might be one or three Hyperion movies in the works -- and Leonardo deCaprio might be interested in playing Endymion! Who would you picture in that role? And who would be a good Silenus? or Aenea? Should the Shrike be played by a human or done with a computer? Who do you see starring in these movies? What scenes would you most like to see? my sister, o my sister! There's the cause on 't. Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, Like diamonds we are cut with our own dust -- John Webster's "The Duchess of Malfi", first performed in England in 1614<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Hyperion on Film?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:52 am 
Master Pilot

U know who might b an interesting choice 4 Silenus, Nathan Lane, hes got that Broadway, poetic thing going on. He was great in the PBS airing of The Man Who Came to Dinner and I'm sure y'all kno him from The Bird Cage and Mousehunt. Some of his long stage monolouges r amazing!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/29/03 10:33 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:12 am 
Lady Scryer

I have trouble seeing deCaprio in the role of Endymion. One of the main things about that character is that he's NOT gorgeous, intellectually gifted, abnormally brave, or superhuman in any way. He's a completely average guy except for his great big heart and his ability to love and be loyal. Leonardo is just too pretty! I guess that they could "ugly" him up with makeup or something. He IS a good actor, and would possibly bring a lot of fans in to see the movie who might not otherwise come to see it... my sister, o my sister! There's the cause on 't. Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, Like diamonds we are cut with our own dust -- John Webster's "The Duchess of Malfi", first performed in England in 1614<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:48 am 
Master Pilot

I could almost see Day-Lewis as the Consul. And maybe Mickey Rourke as the Soldier? (u would have 2 get him off the steriods, 1st )
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:00 am 
Lady Scryer

Yes! And I could see Anthony Hopkins (in his sensitive, serious Shadowlands mode) as Father de Soya. "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:54 am 
Master Pilot

Hopkins is a great choice 4 that priest! And I would choose Edward Norton Jr. 2 play the priest on the quest! I tought it was a funny choice at 1st--like his priest in that comedy he was in, Losing Faith, or something like that--then I said no he could really pull it off!!
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 1/28/03 6:00:12 pm
</i>

Post subject: Casting call
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:56 pm 
Pilot

The Consul: Clint Eastwood (the Consul seems to carry a lot of regret, ol' Clint does that look the best)
Martin Silenus: Danny DeVito
Lenar Hoyt: Leland Orser (he was in Very Bad Things, and Alien Resurrection)
Brawne Lamia: Chyna (the lady wrestler; who else has the physique!)
Aenea: Sarah Polley (though she'll probably be too old by the time they get to film it)
Sgt GRegorius: Michael Clarke Duncan (John Coffey from the Green Mile)
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Casting call
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:02 am 
Master Pilot

I like ur idea of Eastwood shrike! But still have 2 go w/Lane 4 Silenus. Michael Clake Duncan will b playing The Kingpin in Daredevil opening Feb 14th!!!!! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/11/03 10:49 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Casting call
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:01 am 
Lady Scryer

Welcome Shrike!!
I like your suggestions, especially that last one! He would be perfect!!!!!!! Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/29/03 10:34 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 8:45 am 
Pilot

No way!!

I agree that Danny De Vito would be great as Silenus, but Clint or Day Lewis as the consul and Hopkins as the priest??? Get out of here…

I always have the habit of trying to visualise characters in books as known actors, so I can *see* the story better, and in my opinion, the only actor who could play the part of the consul is Martin Sheen. In a way, the 1st book Hyperion reminds me a lot of the Joseph Conrad novella “Heart of Darkness”, which Coppola filmed as “Apocalypse Now”. Martin Sheen’s haunting, intense eyes, coupled with his self-destructive violent nature make him the ideal choice for this part.

Hopkins *could* play the part of Lenar Hoyt, but Hopkins has for me always shown a morbid humour and light-heartedness in the roles I’ve seen him in, which in my opinion doesn’t match the part of Hoyt… The ultimate, desperate, suffering (Catholic!) priest can only be played by the master himself, Max Von Sydow. Any dissenters to this view are cordially invited to see/resee “The Exorcist” to confirm this irrefutable fact… However, if Max has other plans, another excellent option is Xander Berkeley, who plays the part of George Mason in the TV series “24”.

As for Lamia, I once saw a series of public nudity pictures on the net (no, I can’t remember the URL…) with a short black woman with rippling muscles and lots of aggression… Don’t know her name… :-)

I draw a blank on Kassad, though whoever played him would have to be of Arabic origin… Maybe we could give Omar Sharif a few Poulsen treaments…?

I also think the English comedian Mel Smith would be wonderful as King Billy…

I’ve only read the 1st book, but the thought of deCaprio playing any part other than an Ouster getting blasted into microscopic pieces makes me want to puke…

This is all, of course, my own opinion, which makes it all the more convincing…

Take care & regards,

Shrike Jr.

“I love humanity! It’s just people I can’t stand…” - Charlie Brown. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 12:37 am 
Lady Scryer

I wasn't thinking of Hopkins as Hoyt, so much as I was thinking of him as Father de Soya from the Endymion books...
That muscular lady sounds as if she'd be good as Lamia...I haven't really been able to picture any of the actresses I know in that role...
Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/29/03 10:35 pm
</i>

Post subject: Hyperion on film
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 3:46 pm 
Pilot

I stand by my choice of Eastwood for the consul, though I like Martin Sheen in that role too.

Anthony Hopkins would be better suited for Dure than Hoyt.

I don't have a problem with Di Caprio as Endymion,
but if you want a left-field kind of choice...how about Adam Sandler?

Another option for Lamia could be Lucy Lawless....but Lamia was short also was she not?

Nicholas Cage might be good as De Soya.

<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Hyperion on film
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 4:35 pm 
Lady Scryer

Yes, Lamia was both short and very muscular. SO Lucy Lawless would probably be too tall.
I still thing that Leonardo would be much too pretty for Endymion. Isn't Raul supposed to be very average looking? Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/29/03 10:36 pm
</i>

Post subject: Martin Silenus
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:25 pm 
Pilot

It must be Woody Allen..... <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Martin Silenus
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:41 am 
Lady Scryer

welcome Crucimorfi, welcome and true! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/29/03 10:36 pm
</i>