Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Worlds Enough and Time: short stories by Simmons
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:08 pm 
Lady Scryer

Simmons recently came out with a book of short stories/novellas which includes his Hyperion short story, Orphans of the Helix. It's available now in trade paperback from Eos books. The stories are interesting, with good intros by Simmons. He chose the stories to put in the book because he wanted the book to reflect different aspects of a Zen garden... my sister, o my sister! There's the cause on 't. Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, Like diamonds we are cut with our own dust -- John Webster's "The Duchess of Malfi", first performed in England in 1614<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi at: 12/2/02 11:12:42 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Worlds Enough and Time: short stories by Simmons
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:47 am 
Master Pilot

Cool! Have u read A Prayer for the Broken Stones? Some1 on Ran's board said 1 of the stories in it twigged Harlan Ellison on2 Simmons-it got published everywhere and wons awards--it was a real gruesome 1 as I remember about 2 boys who run away from home and their Zombie--reanimated--clownfaced--Michael Jackson mother...
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/29/03 10:42 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:17 am 
Lady Scryer

No, that story is not in it. The names of the stories that are included are:
Looking for Kelly Dahl
Orphans of the Helix
The Ninth of Av
On K2 with Kanakaredes
The End of Gravity

I haven't read the particular story you mentioned, but some of his stuff CAN be truly grotesque.
I have to admit I had a hard time making it through Hollow Man and Hardcase, but I also know a lot of people who love that sort of thing... my sister, o my sister! There's the cause on 't. Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, Like diamonds we are cut with our own dust -- John Webster's "The Duchess of Malfi", first performed in England in 1614<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/29/03 10:43 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:58 pm 
Master Pilot

That's prob y I never finished Prayer--there was a really cool story about a modern day boyscout who goes 2 Gettysburg 2 participate in a re-enactment and suddenly find himself cast back in time 2 the real battle. The "mom" story and other were 2 horrid and gross 4 me 2 handle...I'll create a seperate topic on Prayer...
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:44 am 
Lady Scryer

Finding Kelly Dahl was a very odd story told from the eyes of a suicidal and alcoholic former teacher, and involves one of his former students. It is set in the Front Range of the Colorado Rockies... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:40 am 
Lady Scryer

Orphans of the Helix, is, of course, a novella set in the Hyperion universe, in the years after Aenea. It shows what has been happening to humanity in the intervening years, as well as revisiting two of the very interesting and sympathetic cultures from Hyperion/Endymion. It also shows the difficulties of leadership involved in a culture that values doing what is morally correct more than anything else...
Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:56 pm 
Lady Scryer

The Ninth of Av -- a chilling story (in more ways than one set in a distant future Earth, where on thing has stayed historically true -- the horrors of anti-Semitism Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:28 am 
Lady Scryer

On K2 with Kanakeredes
The story of three human mountain climbers who attempt to scale the mountain K2 with a representative of a mysterious alien race...
I enjoyed this story very much. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:30 am 
Lady Scryer

The End of Gravity
The story of a middle aged American journalist who travels to Russia to do an article on the Russian space program...anf inds more than he has ever imagined possible... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:59 am 
Lady Scryer

I did not even realize until I started reading Ilium that the Ninth of Av is a prequel-story to that novel! So this short story collection contains a background story of great importance to Ilium and a also a post-story or afterward to Rise of Endymion... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell