Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Darwin's Blade
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:18 pm 
Lady Scryer

I've worked in hospitals all of my adult life, and one thing that always horrifies our spouses/significant others and innocent bystanders is what we laugh at when we talk shop. There'll be a bunch of us at a wedding or a restaurant and we'll be talking about the medical uses of leeches and laughing our heads ourselves sick while everyone around us turns green. Over the years I've come to the conclusion that when you do certain jobs you have to either learn to laugh at the things that bother you the most or you slowly either burn out or lose your mind. I have some friends who are police officers and they are the same way. They laugh at things that bother the living &*^% out of other people. Well, while reading Darwin's Blade, I discovered another group of people who have the same sort of problem -- insurance investigators and accident reconstructionists.
This book is about someone who does both as a living, and yes, some of the things that go on will make some people sick. The characters, of course, have to chuckle to retain their sanity.
The book is fast paced and interesting, with the main character being hunted by, among others, the Russian mafia.
So if you like mysteries and don't mind a bit of gore and bad language, you might really like this book! my sister, o my sister! There's the cause on 't. Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, Like diamonds we are cut with our own dust -- John Webster's "The Duchess of Malfi", first performed in England in 1614<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 12/16/02 11:30:15 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Darwin's Blade
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:32 am 
Lady Scryer

I think that the thing that surprised me most about this book was all of the bizarre ways that Simmons found for people to die. I've got to wonder if people actually died in these very strange and unusual ways and Simmons found it out via research, or if he put his very fertile imagination to work on overtime... "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/29/03 11:09 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Darwin's Blade
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:40 am 
Master Pilot

Very cool! Tamara ran the neo-nate unit @ UNM Hosp. 4 8 years. And, yes, shop-talk drives me nutz Healthcare workers r THE BEST and the cutest, 2
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/29/03 11:10 pm
</i>